Bolt Actions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts

Your choice of rifles depends a lot on the intended purpose. We know you want a 308 and we know you intend it primarily as a target rifle. With this in mind you have a number of options.
One which has to be considered is the Savage "F" class rifle. This rifle is a single shot bolt action Savage has produced for use in "F" class shooting. In 308, it is a VERY accurate and well designed rifle.
Another one which is not half bad is the Remington XCR. I prefer the Savge stock but in general, like the XCR as well.
If you want a magazine rifle, the field opens up a bit and there are rifles which are available from Ruger, Remington, Savage, Sako, Tikka, CZ, and the list goes on.
One still does well going with a Remington 700 Varminter. One of the most accurate factory 308s I ever saw was a standard Remington 700 varmint. Another plus is that the 700 comes with a Remington 700 action. Still a good action upon which you can build a good accuracy rifle.
As a final option, you could have a custom rifle built. Configuration could vary from benchrest to "F" class to tactical or even jst a very good hunting rifle.
The use of one of the readily available custom actions (like those from Jerry Stiller) insures a good start and the addition of a select match barrel and properly fitted stock will give you a rifle which will shoot so well it will truly be a pleasure to own. Pick a gunsmith who has experience in building the type of rifle you want and you will have the best chance of getting just that. GD

Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 AM   #12

Ultimately get a rifle with a good action, because this will probably become a hobby that you will want to upgrade your rifle around the action, getting a new barrel, a stock, trigger, etc. I recommend getting the cheapest Remington 700 or Ruger M77 Mk II you can find and just keep the action as both are extremely good, then sell the other parts, get some of your money back, and buy a timney trigger and a match-grade barrel like a Lija, that strategy IMO will get you the most bang for buck.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #13

I am going to have a custom rifle built by hart rifles I believe they use rem 700 actions and I would like it to be magazine fed a with a mcmillin a5 stock heavy or bull barrel I will post a pic when I get it.

Last edited by Linchpin; 01-09-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Stop looking and buy a Savage.

i agree.......my .270 with the accutrigger is amazing.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:46 AM   #15

Well said 0714 no mater what you do to you're rifle it is all based on you're action.
My custom is BASED on the Browning A-Bolt composite stalker. Then added the Hart titanium heavy fluted barrel william set trigger Leupold hi rise rings and bases and a Swarovski scope. but it is still a Browning A-Bolt just decked out.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #16

Default Recommend .270 with reservations

I don't have a whole lot of rifles, but among my small collection is my favorite - my .270.

Savage is a good make, as previously mentioned.

Depending on what you plan to do with it - if you are hunting big game, this is great for anything on our continent.

You will find a limited selection of bullet sizes. You will find mostly 130 grain, some 140 grain and a bunch of 150 grain bullets at most retailers. If you look around a bit at the big retailers, you might even find 115 grain remington core lokt (sp?), and on rare occasion a 110 grain bullet.

As a big game hunter in Michigan, I find the .270 bullets light compared to some of these muscle heads shooting the 30-06 with their 180 grain and 200 grain rounds.

But let me tell you, when I get a hit on deer with a 130 grain bullet in the thorax, it jumps 8 feet in the air and is dead before it hits the ground. I was hunting this year with a fellow who had a beautiful 7mm weatherby. I was the guy helping this fellow track his deer that he fired on a dusk. After getting hit by this 7mm Weatherby piece of ARTILLERY the animal ran almost 100 yards. It took us 30 minutes to find him, we gutted that beautiful buck in the dark using headlights!!

I have emphasized the smaller bullets for distance hunting. I plan to use my .270 for a trip (my first) to Wy on a mule deer/antelope hunting trip. After looking into the ballistics, you find that the 130 grain projectile flies a bunch flatter than those big 30-06 types, but still delivers a lethal whallop even at 500 yards. You don't need those heavy bullets for big game, and it makes the ballistics more difficult.

Whatever you do, I hope you have fun with it.

Last edited by varmint_hunter; 02-10-2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo

Old 02-22-2008, 04:07 PM   #17

The factory actions we primarily build on are the Remington 700, due to the designs performance and the aftermarket "Hot Rod" parts availability, and the CZ 550 Magnum action for African dangerous game rifles.

We have built on the Browning A Bolt, Savage, Winchester 70 (both CRF and Push Feed), and occasionally a Ruger M77, but I prefer to build the Remington 700 design.

Custom actions that I like and build on are the Lawton, Borden, and BAT Machine actions, though we build almost primarily on the Lawtons.

Most everyone has their favorite barrel brand (whether they have ever bought one or not), and I like Lawton and Broughton barrels. Again, we install more Lawton barrels than we do any other brand.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:47 AM   #18

I love my Savage too. A 110 in 30/06 for deer. Shot great right out of the box1

Simon

XD-9 SubCompact -- Walther P22 -- Savage 110 -- Mossberg 835 -- Ruger 10/22 -- Bushmaster 16" AR-15

Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 AM   #19

The Remington Model 700 is one of my favorites.

"I am not young enough to know everything."