Bolt Actions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Actions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bolt Actions

I am lookin into getting a new bolt action rifle for the range looking at FHN, Remington among others in .308 caliber what makes a quality bolt action rifle?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .308

Just about all the currently produced rifles will do the job for you. My own personal favorite is browning a-bolt but remington, savage ,tikka, sako, cz,kimber,as well as a host of others are all well made rifles.

Old 10-20-2007, 03:24 AM   #3

I agree. Look through all the major manufacturers catalogs and pick the one you think is fitted to your situation. The last rifle I picked up was a Remington700 in 7mm rem mag. Shoots 3/4" groups with factory ammo. I also have a 700 in 270Win. and with handloads it shoots 1/2" groups using Remington core-lok bullets(yes,I handload these). I have buddies that all get similiar performance out of their rifles( a savage,a browning,two Remingtons and a Winchester).

Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I`ve owned most of the major barnd of rifles on the market and fired the rest. I have several custom rifles built on Mil. actions as well. They all work. I would recomand that you check your area for a good used rifle, they will be alot cheaper and I don`t know anyone that has shot-out a .308.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #5

Default Good quality Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
I am lookin into getting a new bolt action rifle for the range looking at FHN, Remington among others in .308 caliber what makes a quality bolt action rifle?
MONEY!!! MONEY!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Stop looking and buy a Savage.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Stop looking and buy a Savage.
I friend has one that is a tack driver. I can't remember which model it is, but it is pretty sweet. He has the trigger turned down to 1.5# on it. He has a Harris bipod and some big ass 6-20x50mm scope on it. It came with a really crappy finish though. Most of the phosphate coating has worn off of it already.

Old 10-29-2007, 12:14 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I would have it dura coated. That stuff is tuff enough to last in the sandbox with the military. Plus it comes in some rather cool colors.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:12 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I would have it dura coated. That stuff is tuff enough to last in the sandbox with the military. Plus it comes in some rather cool colors.
He's looking at getting a Krieger stainless for it. The receiver is fine, but the barrel looks like ass.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .308 rifle

When I have plans to rebarrel,I look for used rifles. If I have no intention to rebarrel however,I'll opt for a new rifle due to the fact of me knowing it'll be broke in correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I`ve owned most of the major barnd of rifles on the market and fired the rest. I have several custom rifles built on Mil. actions as well. They all work. I would recomand that you check your area for a good used rifle, they will be alot cheaper and I don`t know anyone that has shot-out a .308.