Bolt Action:What is your opinion about the Mauser k98k?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Bolt Action:What is your opinion about the Mauser k98k?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Bolt Action:What is your opinion about the Mauser k98k?

What is your opinion about the Mauser k98k and the Mauser 98 action?
What would you change of its design?Would you use it to built a modern sniper rifle?If yes, what would you do?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #2

Liked 86 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 31

The 98 action is a very good/strong action to build on IF you can find one cheap enough. Its not cheap anymore to build on a military action. It would be cheaper to buy a Winchester or Remington and go from there.

http://blackpowdertimes.com/index.php

Old 12-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

Great action but get a CZ550 if you want the Mauser action. Unless you are doing all the work yourself it does not pay to build anymore. I have seen some beautiful custom rifles on 98 actions that were selling for a small fraction of what they cost to build.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 363 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 645

My lieutenant and I have been looking for a German made K98 in great condition for a while now and haven't found one we like.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #5

Liked 2057 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Look around for an older Ruger M77, same basic action

Old 12-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
My lieutenant and I have been looking for a German made K98 in great condition for a while now and haven't found one we like.
Really?Maybe I have the same problem.During the war(in yugoslavia), I have seen several almost unknown custom mausers that were used by the snipers in Sarajevo.These rifle looked like sporterized models of the zastava 98/48(refurbished k98k) and the later M48.If you want a cheap, fully operational, cheap k98k that is in good conditions, the you should take a look at the zastava m98/48.Frankly speaking:I used this rifle in combat in the '90, a scoped one(mounts for zrak optics).It's a great shooter, even if the bullet trajectory is far from being the flatest one.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Great action but get a CZ550 if you want the Mauser action. Unless you are doing all the work yourself it does not pay to build anymore. I have seen some beautiful custom rifles on 98 actions that were selling for a small fraction of what they cost to build.
Well...I want a custom one, so I'm going to build one by myself.I'm seeking for some ideas by more experienced operators

Old 12-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

The CZ550 is more like a Mauser 98 than others but it is not a 98. It does have some 98 Mauser features but so do a lot of others. The breeching system of the CZ550 is like that of the 98. It has an internal barrel seat (c-ring) and the bolt head is enclosed by this ring when in battery. The magazine system of the CZ is more like that of the pre-64 Model 70 Winchester as is the extractor and bolt stop. The striker, bolt sleeve, and trigger are strictly CZ and are unique to it.
From the standpoint of functionality, the 98 covers a lot of bases and does it very well. It was designed to be a rugged, foolproof system and it is that. Any compromises were made on the side of reliability.
From a pure accuracy standpoint, the 98 has some perceived shortcomings. There is a shortage of bedding surface; especially at the tang. The receiver, with it's thumb notch, is not particularily rigid. The striker is heavy and lock time isn't all that quick but ignition is positive.
The breeching system is an excellent one with the barrel seated against the inner collar and the bolt head recessed within this collar. The mauser was designed to vent gases in the event of a case failure. This is a design which is functional and safe but which sacrifices some parts in such a situation. Blow a case in a Mauser and you will, most likely, not be hurt but you will be missing the extractor and possibly the magazine follower and floorplate. The Ruger 77 follows Mauser principles in gas handling.
Mauser invented the staggered column magazine and it has been the basis for most magazine systems since then. Much is made of the controlled round feeding of the Mauser. The Mauser was designed to feed out of the magazine and cartridge feeds up behind the extractor as the cartridge is stripped from the magazine. Mauser's idea here was to prevent double loading. That is, to make it impossible to try and feed a cartridge without extracting and ejecting the one in the chamber. For some reason, this was perceived as being a real concern. A by product of this was that the Mauser doesn't do well when a cartridge is put into the chamber ahead of the extractor although this can be managed. Polishing the leading edge of the extractor hook can make single loading possible and there is no reason not to do so. The Springfield and Enfield rifles addressed this as have most subsequent designs.
Extraction is a Mauser strongpoint. The extractor hook is wide and the extractor groove in the bolt head is undercut to match the angle on the extractor tongue so that increased pressure against the extractor causes it to be held in more tightly. Ejection is handle by a blade which is enclosed within the bolt stop housing and which passes through a slot cut through the left locking lug. The 98 ejects straight out to the side. In theoryand in fact, the slotted lug weakens the lock-up but I have not seen an instance where this was critical since the action is still more than sufficiently strong.
The original trigger is a two-stage, direct-acting type where the trigger pulls the sear away from the cocking piece to fire the rifle. This contrasts with the overriding sear type of trigger where the trigger allows the striker to over ride the sear. From the standpoint of stone-reliabilty, I don't think the original trigger can be beat but there is a limit to how light and crisp the trigger pull can be. All after-market triggers (Timney, Bold, Dayton-Traister, etc.) are of the over riding sear variety. Not as foolproof but adjustable and offering a trigger fubction which is more agreeable to most shooters.
Now, can the Mauser 98 be used to build a modern sniper rifle? Yes and no. A rifle built on a 98 can be accurate enough though probably not quite as accurate as a Remington 700 based rifle like the M24 or M40. The Canadian forces used a rifle based on a commercial 98 action for many years and these rifles were very capable and shot as well as could be expected given the potential of the ammunition they used. Shooting Lake City Match, the Parker-Hale rifle used by the Canadians would approach minute-of-angle accuracy. The use of the Mauser is also a little bit awkward because of the necessity to load from the top. The adaptation of an M14 magazine system would be a big help in this regard.
If starting with a military 98, it is, of course, necessary to alter the bolt handle and safety to allow the mounting of a scope. This is best accomplished by cutting of the original handle and welding on a replacement. Some have simply forged the original handle to a lower angle but this results in a handle which is too short. By the way, one also wants to avoid installing a handle which is too long as this will increase the tendency for the bolt to bind during operation.
All in all, building a rifle a a Mauser can be a rewarding exercise. While not the ideal for a state-of-the-art build, the Mauser can make a rugged, reliable, and functional rifle.
I have been gunsmithing professionally for over 35 years and in that time I have NEVER seen a broken firing pin on a Mauser. I have NEVER seen a broken ejector or spring. I have seen one broken extractor but it had been improperly modified. I have seem Mausers which were overloaded, fired with the wrong ammunition, and abused in various ways yet none were destroyed beyond the possibility of repair.
I would not use a Mauser to build a longe range rifle in 338 Lapua or 300 Win Mag. I would use a Mauser to build a 7.62 rifle. I would adapt it to use the M14 magazine and I would build it to weigh not more than ten pounds, all up. I would scope it with a good 10x scope in a rugged mount (weaver type bases and the ring of choice). I would use a Timney trigger. I would stock it in glass with a MacMillan stock being my first choice.
An alternative, for a fun rifle, would be to do an interpretation of the Canadian Forces rifle. By the way, I see these Parker-Hale rifles for sale occasionally and they are an intertesting rifle in their own right.
My primary interest is in sporting rifles and looking at it from that viewpoint, my first choice for a rugged, reliable, rifle for hunting is a Mauser. My choice for an action upon which to build an accuracy rifle is a Remington 700. My choice for action on which to build an Amercan classic hunting rifle is a Winchester Model 70. All of this information is given on a "for what it's worth" basis! GD
People Like This 
Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3864 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Here is my CZ550 with plenty of pictures

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/german-stamped-cz-550-synthetic-308-a-93099/

My friend's 98

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f37/1937-kz-98-a-100153/

Old 12-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #10

Liked 537 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Most of the finest custom bolt actions in the world have used the '98 Mauser action and for good reason. They've been around the longest and used on game like deer, as well as the most dangerous and largest game from all over the world. I'd call that proven and basically you get what you pay for. It certainly has it's competition out there, but the Mauser action will always be my first choice. I own several, but here are just three examples. #1 Custom Griffin & Howe Mauser .270, #2 WJ Jeffrey take down .333 Nitro Express, #3 German Custom Mauser .375 H&H.

Bolt Action:What is your opinion about the Mauser k98k? - General Rifle Discussion
Bolt Action:What is your opinion about the Mauser k98k? - General Rifle Discussion
People Like This