Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt action or Sport Utility Rifle: WHICH TO BUY??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 03:46 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Mosin Nagant! It's hella cheap and so is the ammo. Its a blast to shoot and it reaches out pretty well. Plus if you ever get cold out in the woods you can just burn the stock and only be out like 100 bucks. Haha.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 AM   #22

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post
Mosin Nagant! It's hella cheap and so is the ammo. Its a blast to shoot and it reaches out pretty well. Plus if you ever get cold out in the woods you can just burn the stock and only be out like 100 bucks. Haha.
You can also use the muzzle flash to cook dinner and toast a few 'smores.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

You can also use the muzzle flash to cook dinner and toast a few 'smores.
Lol I WAS looking into these as well.. I heard that it kicks like a mule though. And why does it seem like the Russian government has a surplus contract with Big 5 for this model?? Hahah

Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 AM   #24

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal408 View Post
Lol I WAS looking into these as well.. I heard that it kicks like a mule though. And why does it seem like the Russian government has a surplus contract with Big 5 for this model?? Hahah
It's no .22lr or .223 but the recoil is overrated...no more than a 30-06. The 91/30 is a big rifle and the weight dampens some of the kick. Russian girls have managed to shoot them for 100 year now.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-21-2012, 05:53 AM   #25

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

What kind of distance do you want to shoot the gun?
What kind of distance does your range offer?
What kind of game do you want to hunt? If any with this rifle.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14
What kind of distance do you want to shoot the gun?
What kind of distance does your range offer?
What kind of game do you want to hunt? If any with this rifle.
So I would really like to shoot from a couple hundred yards out, but substituting my dreams for reality I think 100 -200 yards would be very sufficient for my realistic needs. I believe that 200 yards is also the longest rifle range I've seen that's relatively close to my area.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #27

Liked 268 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I find that target shooting out to 300 yards most rifle calibers are good. I also find, for ultimate accuracy and precision shooting, a bolt gun is the way to go. A semi auto is a good thing to have but it's not going to give you the precision a bolt gun can.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:01 PM   #28
Supporting Member

Liked 695 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Dicks sporting goods was selling Ruger American rifles, bolt action with adjustable trigger in 30.06 this week for $319.00. I looked it over real good and If I did not already have one I would have bought one. My buddy did, and it shoots real accurate. You can not go wrong with that price. They had them in other cal. also.

They are call "American Rifles" because they are made right here in the US of A!!

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Old 11-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I have a Marlin X7 and highly recommend them. Mine is chambered in .308 Winchester but they come in the following other calibers as well:

25-06 Remington
270 Winchester
30-06 Springfield
7mm-.08
243 Winchester

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #30

Liked 1236 Times on 775 Posts
Likes Given: 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal408 View Post
So I've been looking into getting a rifle as my next fire arm purchase. Then question I have is what kind of rifle to get. I know it all depends on what you're going to do and use it for. A buddy keeps nudging me towards an AR or M1A type of rifle .223 says I can scope the m1 for the distance shooting if I want and it'd be a fun mid range weapon as well. I was leaning towards a bolt action .308/ 30-06 I've always dreamed of hearing that loud satisfying ping while being prone a couple 100 yards away if you know what I mean. So I decided to ask you guys. I already have myself an SR40 and mossberg 500 so I'm looking for an nice addition. If I I'd go assault rifle I'd probably like an m1a socom, bolt action mossberg atr 100 night train. Any input greatly appreciated!
Unless you need full auto get a bolt gun!!!!
Beside that the wait for the BTFE to process your app for full auto is quit long!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!