Bolt action or Sport Utility Rifle: WHICH TO BUY??
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt action or Sport Utility Rifle: WHICH TO BUY??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Bolt action or Sport Utility Rifle: WHICH TO BUY??

So I've been looking into getting a rifle as my next fire arm purchase. Then question I have is what kind of rifle to get. I know it all depends on what you're going to do and use it for. A buddy keeps nudging me towards an AR or M1A type of rifle .223 says I can scope the m1 for the distance shooting if I want and it'd be a fun mid range weapon as well. I was leaning towards a bolt action .308/ 30-06 I've always dreamed of hearing that loud satisfying ping while being prone a couple 100 yards away if you know what I mean. So I decided to ask you guys. I already have myself an SR40 and mossberg 500 so I'm looking for an nice addition. If I I'd go assault rifle I'd probably like an m1a socom, bolt action mossberg atr 100 night train. Any input greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not much of a hunter, never been but am toying with the idea. Also from California, mostly would like a fun range gun.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1203 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Sport Utility Rifle or bolt action? Only you should choose how to spend your money.

You can shoot roughly twice as much 223 as 308/30:06 for about the same cost.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

welcome to the forum and stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

first off, many of the members here, myself included, really detest the word, "assault rifle" or "assault weapon". those are gun hating, liberal and media contrived terms.

second you need to assess what your needs and wants are in a rifle. if your experiance is very limited, i would suggest starting with a rimfire 22 to learn the basics of rifle shooting. shooting a rifle is much different than shooting pistols or shotguns. if you have some experiance, then an assessment of the intended use for the rifle is in order. then you need to figure out how much you would like to spend, or are able to.

the AR or M1A are totally different platforms than a bolt action rifle. as much as i like my AR, i am more of a bolt action type person, so therefor i own quite a few more of them. you need to find out what your needs are and not what your friend thinks you need. after all it's going to be your rifle, not his. let him choose what he wants for himself.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #5

Liked 256 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 220

I like the old ww1-2 bolt actions myself. 1903 springfield is a blast to shoot. I also have smle. 303 brit and 96 mauser 7mm from the same era. You can't go wrong with any of these and they will never loose value.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #6

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

Since you live in California and the closest thing to a real AR that you can own would be neutered or bastardized version I would lean toward a good bolt gun. At least you can have one in a original configuration.

M1A would be the next choice, but even that would be stripped of some features.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
welcome to the forum and stop over in the introductions section and say hello.

first off, many of the members here, myself included, really detest the word, "assault rifle" or "assault weapon". those are gun hating, liberal and media contrived terms.

second you need to assess what your needs and wants are in a rifle. if your experiance is very limited, i would suggest starting with a rimfire 22 to learn the basics of rifle shooting. shooting a rifle is much different than shooting pistols or shotguns. if you have some experiance, then an assessment of the intended use for the rifle is in order. then you need to figure out how much you would like to spend, or are able to.

the AR or M1A are totally different platforms than a bolt action rifle. as much as i like my AR, i am more of a bolt action type person, so therefor i own quite a few more of them. you need to find out what your needs are and not what your friend thinks you need. after all it's going to be your rifle, not his. let him choose what he wants for himself.
Please excuse my French. The one thing that appeals to me most about a bolt action platform over a semi auto is the idea of having to calculate and plan and get into that shot; really be a part of the rifle. But the other thing is, the price of ammo..I do love shooting my .40 but when it's time to anti up at the range I really sort of wish I bought the 9mm if you feel what I'm sayin'

Old 11-20-2012, 02:14 AM   #8

Liked 2202 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

You could get a bolt gun in .223 and it would be more affoardable and still offer you lots of entertainment at the range.

Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc
Since you live in California and the closest thing to a real AR that you can own would be neutered or bastardized version I would lean toward a good bolt gun. At least you can have one in a original configuration.

M1A would be the next choice, but even that would be stripped of some features.
Excellent point, as close as they look it'll still never be fully automatic :'(

Old 11-20-2012, 02:20 AM   #10

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

The 30/06 isn't that expensive to shoot if you are willing to shoot steel case ammo or milsurp. The 30/06 is physically demanding. If you get an ill fitting gun it hurts. On the other hand, the 5.56 is a joy to shoot but it really has no practical use in my world. I have two AR-15's neither of them have killed anything but golf balls.

Landowners don't want me shooting them on their property for predator control. Groups of hunters aren't to keen on people with AR-15's. Quite often things get tight and a high velocity round makes no one happy. They are OK with pistol caliber carbines and shotguns. When you are working so close you can hear each other whistling an AR is a royal pain.

The 5.56 isn't suitable for hunting large game. It kills deer but it doesn't leave a blood trail to find the deer. It lacks knock down power that slugs and larger rifles posses. Even when I make a poor shot with a slug or 30/06 the deer is very near where I shot it.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/