Bolt Action Rifles. - Page 63
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #621
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,014
Liked 2779 Times on 1806 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
many years ago, my father and i were discussing different cartridges and one he suggested i check out was the 280 Remington, since i like cartridges based off the 30-06. well after about ten or eleven years of searching for one at reasonable price i found one at the LGS i shop at fairly often. an older Ruger M77V, (circa 1978) with a 24" heavy barrel.

as i was after a bolt action in that cartridge, i really didn't care whether it was a Ruger, a Remington or a Winchester. just that it was a bolt action in 280 Rem. i'll have to say it's probably one of my favorite rifles in my collection.
About 15 years ago, i was gonna order a stainless heavy barrel, laminate stock m77 in 22-250. Then the head gaskets went out in my car. Paid off the repair, went to the LGS to order it again, and the owner went out of business when his wife got a DUI. I never did get my 77.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:51 AM   #622
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
About 15 years ago, i was gonna order a stainless heavy barrel, laminate stock m77 in 22-250. Then the head gaskets went out in my car. Paid off the repair, went to the LGS to order it again, and the owner went out of business when his wife got a DUI. I never did get my 77.
now that sucks. big time.

i have had very good luck with the older Ruger M77's over the years. i have never even owned a Mk II M77. and most of the older ones have high asking prices at the gun shows and gun auctions. i don't know if they are actually getting their asking price or not. the last older Ruger M77 in a heavy barrel that i saw at the gun show, in 220 Swift had an asking price of over $900 for just the rifle and nothing else. no scope and didn't even have the factory Ruger rings either.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #623
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,014
Liked 2779 Times on 1806 Posts

Default

Iirc, it would have cost around $550 at the time. Looking back, I would now prefer a 223 or 25-06 instead of the barrel burning 22-250. Maybe someday.
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 AM   #624
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Calif. along Sierra Nevada FoothillsI
Posts: 529
Liked 238 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Iirc, it would have cost around $550 at the time. Looking back, I would now prefer a 223 or 25-06 instead of the barrel burning 22-250. Maybe someday.
Do what I did. start collecting beer and soda cans along the road. Sat. and Sunday mornings are the best time. start about 3 miles out and work your way towards town.(great excerise) Dumpster diving is to tacky.
bradam is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:02 AM   #625
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Salem,Oregon
Posts: 1,020
Liked 470 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 1128

Default

I had an old Ruger 77 chambered in 220 Swift and yes I did burn out the barrel at 4,100 fps but I enjoyed it while it lasted.
__________________
Married 28 years---I'm starting to think it might work out.
Second Generation N R A Life Member
Mongo is online now  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #626
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
primer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 7,014
Liked 2779 Times on 1806 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
Do what I did. start collecting beer and soda cans along the road. Sat. and Sunday mornings are the best time. start about 3 miles out and work your way towards town.(great excerise) Dumpster diving is to tacky.
Sheesh, I've emptied enough cans myself since then to buy several m77s :beer:
__________________
Feral cat waterboarder
primer1 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #627
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Sheesh, I've emptied enough cans myself since then to buy several m77s :beer:
i have emptied enough in the past to pay for a few custom made rifles!
Axxe55 is offline  
bradam Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #628
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chainfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,876
Liked 1727 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

I have a ton of Mosins, and several bolt .22s, but only one high-power commercial rifle; a scoped .30 '06 built on a large ring Mauser action by Voere in Austria in the early 60s. It is a sweet shooter and a good looker, with an adjustable trigger that I have set on "touch me gently."
You will have to use your imagination as it is sitting deep back in the safe and only comes out to play during hunting season.
__________________
"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan
Chainfire is offline  
bradam Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #629
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Txhillbilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,622
Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 624

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
I have a ton of Mosins, and several bolt .22s, but only one high-power commercial rifle; a scoped .30 '06 built on a large ring Mauser action by Voere in Austria in the early 60s. It is a sweet shooter and a good looker, with an adjustable trigger that I have set on "touch me gently."
You will have to use your imagination as it is sitting deep back in the safe and only comes out to play during hunting season.
So Chain,How many Mosins does it take to make a ton?
__________________
Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club
Txhillbilly is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:23 AM   #630
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 0
Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
So Chain,How many Mosins does it take to make a ton?
not many. the Mosin ain't a lightweight!
Axxe55 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
need advice on bolt action rifles malmais General Rifle Discussion 12 06-14-2013 06:24 PM
.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles? Gert999 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 36 01-03-2013 10:22 PM
lever action vs bolt action Zamzow General Rifle Discussion 14 06-11-2012 01:43 PM
What .22 bolt action rifles can i find at a gunshow? HGwarhawk .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 4 03-03-2012 03:35 PM
Questions regarding Glock 18's and bolt-action-rifles TXWolf23 Gunsmithing Forum 15 12-30-2011 04:23 PM



Newest Threads