Bolt Action Rifles. - Page 62
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 02:12 AM   #611
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22240 Times on 12460 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
For hunting, I want something rugged. I'm typically not going to walk any further than I would be willing to drag a dead dear. 6 vs 8 lbs. won't make a difference for the distances I travel, especially slung over the shoulder. No need for a bull barrel because I am not going to take 10-20 shots in the field. One is usually enough for medium to large game.

While some of the newer rifle designs are very accurate, I like a beefy action (Remington 700 or the like). Last year I did about 15 summersaults down a ridge while carrying my rifle. When I tested it later it was 100% on target at 200 yds. Why I'd ever need another hunting rifle, I don't know.

Lots of tree stand hunting in these parts, I am not a big fan of this but if you do hunt from a tree stand why not get the best shooting rifle you can find regardless of weight?
i too like a rugged built rifle. a solid action is always a good foundation for any type of rifle. if the action is the heart of the rifle, the barrel is the soul!

IMO, most of a rifles accuracy is determined by the barrel and it's quality. but i have to think that it's probably a combination of many factors that make a rifle accurate or no so much.
bradam Likes This 
Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 AM   #612

Liked 243 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Sounds like a tuned military Mauser is what you want - I know a guy in Mesa who specializes in sporterized Mausers.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #613

Liked 363 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 460

I know several guys sporting out the mosin nagant 7.62x54 and these things will knock the bump off a frogs ass at 200 yards easy.

American Plainsmen Society

Society Of Remington Revolver Shooters (SCORRS)

THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT(SHOTS)
NRA
GOA

Old 07-22-2014, 09:34 AM   #614

Liked 2055 Times on 1074 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

IMO, most of a rifles accuracy is determined by the barrel and it's quality. but i have to think that it's probably a combination of many factors that make a rifle accurate or no so much.
And then there's the shooter .......
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #615

Quote:
And then there's the shooter .......
well, there is that!
People Like This 
Old 07-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #616

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by St8LineGunsmith View Post
I know several guys sporting out the mosin nagant 7.62x54R and these things will knock the bump off a frog at 200 yards easy.
If I went hunting, I'd use my Mosin. They did the Russians well in WW2 and still work.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #617

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
While some of the newer rifle designs are very accurate, I like a beefy action (Remington 700 or the like). Last year I did about 15 summersaults down a ridge while carrying my rifle. When I tested it later it was 100% on target at 200 yds. Why I'd ever need another hunting rifle, I don't know.
You should try to avoid gymnastics while out hunting, the two don't go together well at all. I learned this one time when I fell out of a tree stand. My partner heard me holler on the way down, and soon showed up to help me limp back to camp. All the way back, he lectured me about climbing down being a much better idea than jumping down like that. My gun was OK, but I came out of it a little bit worse for wear. The tree barked me in a few places on the way down, and I was awfully sore the next morning.

I was careful thereafter to follow my partners advice.

Last edited by Salvo; 07-22-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #618

The action might be the heart of the rifle, the barrel might be the soul, but I think of the cartridge as being the rifle's motor. When I'm considering a new rifle, I study over the cartridge choice as least as much if not more than anything else.

That's the first thing that I decide upon. All of the rest follows after.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvo View Post
The action might be the heart of the rifle, the barrel might be the soul, but I think of the cartridge as being the rifle's motor. When I'm considering a new rifle, I study over the cartridge choice as least as much if not more than anything else.

That's the first thing that I decide upon. All of the rest follows after.
many years ago, my father and i were discussing different cartridges and one he suggested i check out was the 280 Remington, since i like cartridges based off the 30-06. well after about ten or eleven years of searching for one at reasonable price i found one at the LGS i shop at fairly often. an older Ruger M77V, (circa 1978) with a 24" heavy barrel.

as i was after a bolt action in that cartridge, i really didn't care whether it was a Ruger, a Remington or a Winchester. just that it was a bolt action in 280 Rem. i'll have to say it's probably one of my favorite rifles in my collection.
Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 08-06-2014, 12:02 AM   #620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
many years ago, my father and i were discussing different cartridges and one he suggested i check out was the 280 Remington, since i like cartridges based off the 30-06. well after about ten or eleven years of searching for one at reasonable price i found one at the LGS i shop at fairly often. an older Ruger M77V, (circa 1978) with a 24" heavy barrel.

as i was after a bolt action in that cartridge, i really didn't care whether it was a Ruger, a Remington or a Winchester. just that it was a bolt action in 280 Rem. i'll have to say it's probably one of my favorite rifles in my collection.
I took one like that deer hunting (out of a stand) one year. A great rifle.