Bolt Action Rifles. - Page 60
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #591
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGunJunkie View Post
Just stumbled upon this thread. I've got a 91/30 Mosin Nagant. I purchased it for $85 on sale. Great deal considering prices now days. I've owned it a few years now and still love it. Only drawback is when I shoot corrosive rounds and the extra cleaning time it adds. I've found other methods to try to help clean it more efficiently. After owning this mosin I wanna get my hands on a PU, Mauser, or straight pull Swedish mauser. Bolt guns are so fun to shoot. I still need to test out my 203 grain rounds I purchased for it.

Out of all the rounds I've shot, 147 TulAmmo seem to be most accurate when I shoot.
i have heard some people get really good results reloading and using heavier bullets in the 160 gr. and up, and getting better accuracy than the factory loads.

might be something to check into.
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #592

Liked 776 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
Remington M700, Marlin X7 series, Savage bolt actions, Mossberg bolt actions come to mind pretty quickly. there are several others i am sure.

any push feed design is a departure in a sense from the Mauser design IMO.
They still use the basic opposing front locking lug and cocking design.

Quote:
Just stumbled upon this thread. I've got a 91/30 Mosin Nagant. I purchased it for $85 on sale. Great deal considering prices now days. I've owned it a few years now and still love it. Only drawback is when I shoot corrosive rounds and the extra cleaning time it adds. I've found other methods to try to help clean it more efficiently. After owning this mosin I wanna get my hands on a PU, Mauser, or straight pull Swedish mauser. Bolt guns are so fun to shoot. I still need to test out my 203 grain rounds I purchased for it.

Out of all the rounds I've shot, 147 TulAmmo seem to be most accurate when I shoot.

180gr Yugo M30(J) ammo shoots great. BTW, The Swede is not a strait pull, it is a '94, or '96 Mauser action design when it comes to military rifles. I think you ment a Swiss strait pull. The 203gr is a real thumper, they shoot well. As far as cleaning your 91/30, boiling water down the bore and on the bolt face, clean as usual. Takes minutes.
I own a PU, a Low turret '98, many Swede's, a few other Mausers and Swiss K31. The Swede's and K31 open sight are very accurate. The K98 Low turret will beat the PU 91/30, but not by much. Love 'em all.
People Like This 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #593

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post

180gr Yugo M30(J) ammo shoots great. BTW, The Swede is not a strait pull, it is a '94, or '96 Mauser action design when it comes to military rifles. I think you ment a Swiss strait pull. The 203gr is a real thumper, they shoot well. As far as cleaning your 91/30, boiling water down the bore and on the bolt face, clean as usual. Takes minutes.
I own a PU, a Low turret '98, many Swede's, a few other Mausers and Swiss K31. The Swede's and K31 open sight are very accurate. The K98 Low turret will beat the PU 91/30, but not by much. Love 'em all.
Forgive my ignorance but won't the boiling water create possible rust down the road?
I did mean a Swiss. In the midst of typing I forgot it was Swiss straight pull.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #594

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but won't the boiling water create possible rust down the road?
you use the boiling water to neutralize the corrosive salts in the primers and powders. i have heard that water and Windex can also be used as well. but you still need to use a bore solvent afterwards to remove any lead, copper or powder fouling, along with oiling the bore to prevent rusting.
People Like This 
Old 07-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #595

Quote:
Boiling water evaporates almost immediately, It does dissolve corrosive salts.

Quote:
you use the boiling water to neutralize the corrosive salts in the primers and powders. i have heard that water and Windex can also be used as well. but you still need to use a bore solvent afterwards to remove any lead, copper or powder fouling, along with oiling the bore to prevent rusting.

It is the soap in windex that works. The ammonia is as harmful as the salts. It will remove bluing.
People Like This 
Old 07-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #596

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Here's my two bolt guns.

1946 Mosin Nagant M44 all original matching numbers

Savage Model 11 .22-250 with Bushnell 3-9x42 scope
File Type: jpg 1404590381738.jpg (32.9 KB, 50 views)
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380
People Like This 
Old 07-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #597

Quote:
Boiling water evaporates almost immediately, It does dissolve corrosive salts.

It is the soap in windex that works. The ammonia is as harmful as the salts. It will remove bluing.
my experiance with corrosive primers and powders is very limited!
Warlock999 Likes This 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #598

Quote:
my experiance with corrosive primers and powders is very limited!
You have not lived yet!!!
Every country that produced ammo for some reason smells unique.
Egyptian 8x57 was one of my favorites. I've become quite fond of Yugo. Soviet has a skunky aroma. The worst is ammo from India. I think they alternate goat hair and donkey dung. I have a lot of M80 7.62x51 ammo that is quite interesting. Indian made, very hot. Not one of the years that were reported to be quite dangerous, but very interesting to shoot. It is sticking around for when there is no more.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #599

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

I am partial to bolt action rifles, some modern, but mostly mil-surps. The Mosin bug bit me hard enough have somewhere over 60 of the things from at least 8 countries. I have a handful of Finnish Mosins that are all outstanding shooters. The Soviet and Eastern block rifles are of varying quality but all shoot better than my skill level.

I have an authentic PU sniper that is deadly accurate, but I have a hard time with the scope picture. I did have two Chinese Mosins that were smooth-bores and would keyhole at 10 yards (if you could hit the paper). I sold them both to a Republican . I also have a Chinese M-44s that is in new condition and it is as nice a carbine as you could ask for, both in looks and performance.

My favorite centerfire, modern, bolt is a Austrian Voere in 30.06 from the early 60s. It is built on a Mauser action and is quite accurate and as smooth as German engineering can make it. It is the only modern centerfire rifle that I have scoped.

I also have some .22 bolts that are a lot of fun to plink with.

I shoot bolts far more often than semi-autos because I just plain like them.

Carl Sagan

Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 AM   #600

Quote:
You have not lived yet!!!
Every country that produced ammo for some reason smells unique.
Egyptian 8x57 was one of my favorites. I've become quite fond of Yugo. Soviet has a skunky aroma. The worst is ammo from India. I think they alternate goat hair and donkey dung. I have a lot of M80 7.62x51 ammo that is quite interesting. Indian made, very hot. Not one of the years that were reported to be quite dangerous, but very interesting to shoot. It is sticking around for when there is no more.
i'll stick with good ole American ammo!
Warlock999 Likes This