Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #51
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1110 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
Is barreling an action a reasonable task for someone who doesn't have any experience doing such a thing? I'm no idiot I know my way around basic hand tools but I don't know what it takes to barrel an action and I have a feeling I would definitely not want to mess that up
If you use a Savage action,it's a pretty simple task if you are mechanically inclined.
You would need an Action wrench,a Barrel Nut wrench,and a set of Go / No Go gauges for the caliber/barrel that you want to install on the action.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 06-19-2013, 02:26 AM   #52
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1110 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys but I just saw an ad on armslist for a savage 110 in .270 for 450 which correct me if I'm wrong but that sounds like a good deal. The glass doesn't look like anything special but he did say he has a bunch of ammo for it. I think 100 rounds? Here's a pic:
That's probably a 111 package gun,and you can get them new for that price or less when on sale.
If your wanting to change barrels on a Savage,you will want to get a complete rifle that is in the same family of cartridges or you will also have to change the bolt head,and also the magazine box/follower to the correct ones needed.

I can help you out,if you decide to go this route.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 AM   #53

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly

That's probably a 111 package gun,and you can get them new for that price or less when on sale.
If your wanting to change barrels on a Savage,you will want to get a complete rifle that is in the same family of cartridges or you will also have to change the bolt head,and also the magazine box/follower to the correct ones needed.

I can help you out,if you decide to go this route.
Thanks for the info and the offer to help. Ill let you guys know what happens. I looked on gunbroker and the prices are way lower than what this guy is asking. Even though he's throwing in a few more things and some ammo, I'm not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on it (literally )

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 03:37 AM   #54
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19782 Times on 11232 Posts
Likes Given: 49847

Quote:
Thanks for the info and the offer to help. Ill let you guys know what happens. I looked on gunbroker and the prices are way lower than what this guy is asking. Even though he's throwing in a few more things and some ammo, I'm not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on it (literally )
Longunner, let us know what you decide. kind of curious.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:59 AM   #55

i have been a fan of bolt action rifles for many years now. my father started it! it's his fault! but seriously i have owned many more bolt actioned rifles that any other type. when i was introduced at an early age to my father's Winchester M70 in 243, i couldn't wait to shoot that rifle. i was about six when dad got the rifle and had to wait until i was about eight before i got to shoot it the first time. i fell in love with that rifle from the first time i laid eyes on it. Dad bought it brand new in 1969 IIRC. jump ahead some 40 odd years later, and i still feel something special about that rifle. that rifle is well over 40 years old and it still looks great. shooting it again last year brought back some fond memories of learning to shoot by my father, the times he let me help him clean it and helping him reload ammo for it. i remember my first deer taken with that rifle. sitting in a tree stand on a cold fall afternoon and taking that shot. that little buck didn't have a huge rack, it was a nice little four pointer, but you would have thought i killed a Boone and Crockett trophy buck i was so excited. i also loved just target shooting that rifle. these were my introductions to bolt actions and for many years now they have been the bulk of my collection. there are still some i want to own, some i have regrets in selling or trading, some i regretted in not buying and kick mysellf many times, years later for not doing so.

i like the simple elegance of the bolt action. i like the blued steel and walnut versions and the simple utiliterain essence of the synthetic and matte finished versions as well. i like seeing the larger magnum calibered safari rifles, like those carried by the big game hunters in Africa. i love the custom one-off built rifles, crafted by a gunsmith who knows what a beautiful rifle is suppose to look like. the first rifle i ever owned was a bolt action Marlin rimfire repeater. i loved going into the woods and squirrel hunting with that rifle. brought back many squirrels with that one.

yes, bolt actions have had a huge impact and influence on many of my gun purchases over the years. i also suspect that bolt actions will be a huge part of my life for many years to come. i like most all rifles, but bolt actions are my favorite.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1703 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5185

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
here are pictures of a Remingtom M700 in 270 that i picked really cheap at pawn shop a couple of years ago

Smart move and would be a good idea today as well.
I tend to see that .243 and .270 is still on the shelves everywhere.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #57

Didn't do it. I think I'll wait for a better price on a different .270, maybe a 700

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2

Old 06-22-2013, 06:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Smart move and would be a good idea today as well.
I tend to see that .243 and .270 is still on the shelves everywhere.
Quote:
Didn't do it. I think I'll wait for a better price on a different .270, maybe a 700
when i have time i like to scour the gun stores and pawn shops for old used bolt actions that function fine, but look like warmed over crap. there are still some good deals out there if you are paitient and bide your time. a couple of years ago, i came close to buying a Sears Model 54 bolt action in 30-06. this was a rifle made by Winchester for Sears and was actually a M70. problem was we couldn't get right on the price. because the stock was a cheap birch and all i was interested in was the barreled action. came real close to buying a Weatherby bolt action in 300 Weatherby Magnum, but we just could get close enough on price on that one either. but i did score decently on the M700 in 270 and the M700 in 30-06 a few months later. both looked like crap, but shot excellent groups.

just have to keep looking. increase your search area if there are none close by. that's what i do. i have to drive almost 40 miles to get to my primary LGS. he usually has quite a few used guns he's traded for or has on consignment. i like dealing with him because he'll cut me a good deal if possible. plus he's always treated me fair and honestly.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

when i have time i like to scour the gun stores and pawn shops for old used bolt actions that function fine, but look like warmed over crap. there are still some good deals out there if you are paitient and bide your time. a couple of years ago, i came close to buying a Sears Model 54 bolt action in 30-06. this was a rifle made by Winchester for Sears and was actually a M70. problem was we couldn't get right on the price. because the stock was a cheap birch and all i was interested in was the barreled action. came real close to buying a Weatherby bolt action in 300 Weatherby Magnum, but we just could get close enough on price on that one either. but i did score decently on the M700 in 270 and the M700 in 30-06 a few months later. both looked like crap, but shot excellent groups.

just have to keep looking. increase your search area if there are none close by. that's what i do. i have to drive almost 40 miles to get to my primary LGS. he usually has quite a few used guns he's traded for or has on consignment. i like dealing with him because he'll cut me a good deal if possible. plus he's always treated me fair and honestly.
Yea I'm going to keep a watchful eye on armslist and see if I can't find some more gun stores that are near me. I like rifles that are beat up, it makes it more satisfying when you get them to look like they did the day the came from the factory. Plus then they have a little bit of personality

Marlin Model 60
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 05:31 AM   #60

Quote:
Yea I'm going to keep a watchful eye on armslist and see if I can't find some more gun stores that are near me. I like rifles that are beat up, it makes it more satisfying when you get them to look like they did the day the came from the factory. Plus then they have a little bit of personality
i enjoy taking a cosmetically challenged firearm and returning it to it's former self. early last year, i almost bought a very challenged older Remington M870 with wood stocks that had been spray painted to look like camo. and a very poor looking camo job at that. function wise, it was very smooth in the action, but looked like crap. went back later the next week and it was gone.

i am constantly on the lookout for cosmetically challenged firearms. many times they can be bought cheaply and a lot of times just need a little time and elbow grease to get them looking great again.