Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #451
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1731 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 545

New offering in 308 from Mossberg. I have the MVP in 5.56x45 and it is accurate.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #452
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19947 Times on 11336 Posts
Likes Given: 50317

what magazine are they using for the 308 on those rifles?

the 223 MVP uses the AR magazines IIRC.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #453

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55
what magazine are they using for the 308 on those rifles?

the 223 MVP uses the AR magazines IIRC.
Yup the 5.56 MVP's use AR magazines

The 7.62 versions use either M1A/M14 or SR-25 magazines, interchangeably.

I plan to pick up one in 7.62 soon. I have one in 5.56 and its awesome. The first and only day I sat down and measured groups I had a .56" 3 shot group using federal match.

I am good out to 700 yards on a steel target with it as long as its not windy. That's using surplus XM193.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
People Like This 
Old 12-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #454

how about a short discussion on choosing a scope for a bolt action. many of the newer bolt actions are not coming with open sights so a scope is not an option, but the only choice available to those with rifles set up that way. many varmint style or "tactical" , (damn! i really hated to use that word!) styled rifles come without open sights.

first of all, pick a good base to start with. it's the foundation of what goes on next. make sure they are securely mounted as well. steel is preferable, but aluminum is becoming more common and less expensive than steel bases. torque the screws when mounting them and use some medium strength locktite as well. the best scope in the world, will be totally useless if it can't hold zero due to shifting bases or rings.

next are the rings. again buy quality rings to start with. the rings are part of the foundation of the scope being securely mounted to the rifle. again the screws need to be torqued to spec for secure mounting of the scope to the rifle. if you plan on owning and mounting more than one rifle and scope, you might as well invest in a torque screwdriver to save yourself a lot of fustration in the long run. if only doing one rifle and scope, then it might be better to enlist the services of a good gunsmith and also let him boresight the rifle as well.

now the scope! which scope to buy? well i am not going to go into a lot of detail on scopes as there are much better articles on that subject alone. but these are simply some of my observations and opinions. generally a quality scope costs money. ususally the more money spent, the higher the quality. now there are exceptions to every rule and scopes are not any different. but as a general rule, you get what you pay for. for the most part the 3-9x40 is the most popular scope and gets the job done for the majority. for most hunting applications, it will do a the job needed and do it quite well. some who hunt in in more open areas where a longer shot may have to be taken might be better suited using something in the 4-12 or 4-14 power range. as a general rule, these are usually all a hunter should ever need for most longer shots on game sized animals. now those above the 14 power range are what i consider varmint scopes or target scopes. at the higher power ranges, the fielf of view shrinks quite a bit. these are great on static or still targets, but very poor on larger game that is moving. close up and personal. many hunter will even use smaller power range scopes like a 1-6 or 2-7 or even a 1-4 power scope. these are great on quicker or dangerous game IMO. great field of view.

match the scope to the cartridge as well. for example, a 6-18 power scope would be way out of place on something like a 30-30! spend your money wisely and look at reviews from actual users of scopes you are considering.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #455

reloading and the bolt action rifle. if possible, i highly recommend reloading your own ammo for your bolt action rifle. reloading allows for tuning a given load to your particular rifle. in essence, to find the sweet spot! using differnet powders it also can help tame some of the magnums down to a more manageable recoil level.

reloading allows shooting less popular or more expensive calibers more, and more trigger time usually equals being a more accurate shooter. beginning in reloading can be as expensive as you want to make it too. depends on how indepth a person wants to go in buying equipment and how many calibers a person plans on reloading for.

reloading isn't usually done to save money and though it can pay off in time, reloading allows a person to produce higher quality ammo at a cheaper than factory ammo cost. here is a link to a reloading cost calculator to give you an idea as the saving one can hope to achieve.

http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/

Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #456
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
how about a short discussion on choosing a scope for a bolt action. many of the newer bolt actions are not coming with open sights so a scope is not an option, but the only choice available to those with rifles set up that way. many varmint style or "tactical" , (damn! i really hated to use that word!) styled rifles come without open sights.

first of all, pick a good base to start with. it's the foundation of what goes on next. make sure they are securely mounted as well. steel is preferable, but aluminum is becoming more common and less expensive than steel bases. torque the screws when mounting them and use some medium strength locktite as well. the best scope in the world, will be totally useless if it can't hold zero due to shifting bases or rings.

next are the rings. again buy quality rings to start with. the rings are part of the foundation of the scope being securely mounted to the rifle. again the screws need to be torqued to spec for secure mounting of the scope to the rifle. if you plan on owning and mounting more than one rifle and scope, you might as well invest in a torque screwdriver to save yourself a lot of fustration in the long run. if only doing one rifle and scope, then it might be better to enlist the services of a good gunsmith and also let him boresight the rifle as well.

now the scope! which scope to buy? well i am not going to go into a lot of detail on scopes as there are much better articles on that subject alone. but these are simply some of my observations and opinions. generally a quality scope costs money. ususally the more money spent, the higher the quality. now there are exceptions to every rule and scopes are not any different. but as a general rule, you get what you pay for. for the most part the 3-9x40 is the most popular scope and gets the job done for the majority. for most hunting applications, it will do a the job needed and do it quite well. some who hunt in in more open areas where a longer shot may have to be taken might be better suited using something in the 4-12 or 4-14 power range. as a general rule, these are usually all a hunter should ever need for most longer shots on game sized animals. now those above the 14 power range are what i consider varmint scopes or target scopes. at the higher power ranges, the fielf of view shrinks quite a bit. these are great on static or still targets, but very poor on larger game that is moving. close up and personal. many hunter will even use smaller power range scopes like a 1-6 or 2-7 or even a 1-4 power scope. these are great on quicker or dangerous game IMO. great field of view.

match the scope to the cartridge as well. for example, a 6-18 power scope would be way out of place on something like a 30-30! spend your money wisely and look at reviews from actual users of scopes you are considering.
I'd like to point out that really good scopes will cost you, but depending on what you need, they are worth it. I had the opportunity to look through a scope that costs more than any gun I have ever owned a while back. Comparing that scope to a $100-$300 scope is like comparing heaven and hell. There is no contest. The clarity, power, and accuracy cannot be matched with a cheaper scope. Then again, if your only going to be shooting out to 100 yards, a scope like that might not be what you need. Something like a Bushnell Banner might be better suited to that task (money wise).
Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #457

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I'd like to point out that really good scopes will cost you, but depending on what you need, they are worth it. I had the opportunity to look through a scope that costs more than any gun I have ever owned a while back. Comparing that scope to a $100-$300 scope is like comparing heaven and hell. There is no contest. The clarity, power, and accuracy cannot be matched with a cheaper scope. Then again, if your only going to be shooting out to 100 yards, a scope like that might not be what you need. Something like a Bushnell Banner might be better suited to that task (money wise).
very well said Aaron. and some people will try and compensate for clarity with higher magnification. and what usually happens is the higher the power you go to on those scopes, you actually start losing clarity and it gets fuzzy.

another point is to pick a higher quality scope based on the caliber you are shooting. heavier recoil magnums will destroy lesser quality scope from massive amounts of repeated recoil. as a general rule, a fixed power scope is sometime better suited because it has less moving internal parts to break from recoil.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 12-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #458

Liked 694 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Scopes are for wusses... Yeah, I said it!

The most powerful scopes I have are 2.5 power. Ones on a 1933 Winchester M63 and the other on a 1942 PU Mosin...

Old 12-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Scopes are for wusses... Yeah, I said it!

The most powerful scopes I have are 2.5 power. Ones on a 1933 Winchester M63 and the other on a 1942 PU Mosin...
don't worry, years down the road, your eyes will be wusses too!

i did a lot of shooting years ago with open sights. old age has taken it's toll on my eyesight. so now it's either use a scope or stop shooting rifles.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #460

Liked 694 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
don't worry, years down the road, your eyes will be wusses too!

i did a lot of shooting years ago with open sights. old age has taken it's toll on my eyesight. so now it's either use a scope or stop shooting rifles.
Its blasphemous to scope old mil-surps.... I guess Im screwed then...

(Unless I get rich and can afford "Sniper" rifles.. )