Bolt Action Rifles. - Page 39
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #381
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21592 Times on 12249 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

another rifle brand that's been around for many years and has had an excellent reputation for quality and accuracy, as well as many of their own proprietary cartridges, the Weatherby rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weatherby

Old 10-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #382

another great and storied rifle brand that has had an excellent reputation for very well made and accurate rifles, Sako rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAKO

Old 10-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #383

one brand having been around for many years, but not as popular for their bolt action rifles as they are for their shotguns, but still a good rifle at a decent price, the Mossberg ATR100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_100ATR

Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #384

and one of the most iconic names in bolt action rifles and the most copied modern bolt action designs and the benchmark for all other bolt action rifles, Mauser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_rifle

Old 11-05-2013, 12:46 AM   #385

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
beautiful rifle Lonyaeger! i have heard lots of excellent reviews on the Cooper rifles. also an excellent choice in caliber! i have an older (1978 model) Ruger M77V in 280 Rem. and it is one of my favorites.
Thank you!
Old 11-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #386
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1200 Times on 690 Posts
Likes Given: 578

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Thank you!
Where you be hiding,Bud?
Hope you and the Mrs. are doing OK.
Give me a call sometime!

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #387

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
and one of the most iconic names in bolt action rifles and the most copied modern bolt action designs and the benchmark for all other bolt action rifles, Mauser.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mauser_rifle
Hey Axxe, so ive been thinking about building a a long range rifle and found your links awesome. My question for you is between the savage 110 and the Mauser action. Which do you prefer/recommend? I have a 70s savage 110E and i love it, my dad has an old J.C. Higgins model 50 which is built on the Mauser action and he loves it. They are both killer rifles but does one have an edge on the other?

Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 AM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
Hey Axxe, so ive been thinking about building a a long range rifle and found your links awesome. My question for you is between the savage 110 and the Mauser action. Which do you prefer/recommend? I have a 70s savage 110E and i love it, my dad has an old J.C. Higgins model 50 which is built on the Mauser action and he loves it. They are both killer rifles but does one have an edge on the other?
personally, i think both have the ability to be built into very accurate rifles. my prefernce is the Mauser, simply because i have owned way more rifles that had Mauser or Mauser type actions. that is simply a prefence and not an endorsement that a Mauser is better than a Savage, because i don't believe that. Savage rifles have an excellent reputation for accuracy and being solid dependable rifles. of course ia have to add, that i have probably owned way more Remington M700 actioned rifles than any other platform.

as far as accuracy, either one has the potential for great accuracy. much it will depend on the quality of the barrel. IMO, the barrel is the heart of the rifle. it is the defining component that is equated to a rifles accuracy.

the edge IMO comesto the Savage in it's design that a person with some knowledge and basic skills can put together a bolt action Savage in their home or shop and not require the services of a gunsmith and a bunch of specialized lathes and tools to build one. a Mauser would require this.

talk to TXhillbilly about the Savages. he has put together a few really nice ones himself. i have seen a couple of his Savage rifles in person and they are really nice looking and shooting rifles. i was very impressed with them.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #389

Liked 41 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:

personally, i think both have the ability to be built into very accurate rifles. my prefernce is the Mauser, simply because i have owned way more rifles that had Mauser or Mauser type actions. that is simply a prefence and not an endorsement that a Mauser is better than a Savage, because i don't believe that. Savage rifles have an excellent reputation for accuracy and being solid dependable rifles. of course ia have to add, that i have probably owned way more Remington M700 actioned rifles than any other platform.
So that being said about Savages accuracy, I've heard that they put most their money into the barrel rather than the stock/finish that why other manufactures look better but Savages accuracy is better. I can't say that i know this is true but it's what I've heard. I intend to put a quality barrel on it (that being said, and brand/type suggestions?) How much influence on accuracy does the action truly have?

Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by rferguson61 View Post
So that being said about Savages accuracy, I've heard that they put most their money into the barrel rather than the stock/finish that why other manufactures look better but Savages accuracy is better. I can't say that i know this is true but it's what I've heard. I intend to put a quality barrel on it (that being said, and brand/type suggestions?) How much influence on accuracy does the action truly have?
IMO, i think Savage concentrated on building accurate and affordable bolt action rifles that were for those who couldn't afford a luxury rifle. they just made a good solid platform without all the pretty details. persoanlly i find nothing wrong with that, and we are seeing this come back now, with other rifle manufacterers doing the same thing with entry level rifles, devoid of all the frills at an affordable price. now i wouldn't say persay that Savage is more accurate, just that they were doing it years ago, at a more affordable price without a bunch of decorations on the rifle like grip caps, fancy checkering and ebony fore end tips and such.

just Google custom rifle barrels and you will get a whole passel of them! start browsing their websites and seeing what they have to offer.

as i am not an engineer by any means, and these are strictly my thoughts. yes i think the action can have some influence on the accuracy of the rifle. lots of benchrest shooter use single shot rifles so the action is stiffer. some custom rifle builders like using an action that uses a single column magazine so the action is stiffer for the potential of accuracy. some people think that a shorter actioned cartridge in a rifle is preferable to a long action due to action flex, which can hinder accuracy. now how much, i really couldn't tell you. it will take someone much smarter than me to explain all the technical details of this!