You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Bolt Action Rifles.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 05:08 AM   #351
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

i have quite a few M700's in various calibers. the replacement for the Mossberg in 30-06 was a used M700 with a beautiful walnut stock on it. that one is downright gentle to shoot, even the same loads i used for the Mossberg.

my M700 in 7mm R.M. is very pleasant to shoot with the loads i worked up for it. i use a slow powder, (IMR 4895) with 165 gr. bullets, that are gentle on the shoulder and very accurate. it's an older synthetic stocked ADL with a factory camo finish to it. i have put as many as 60-80 rounds through it in a days worth of shooting with not any shoulder pain at all.
Axxe55 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #352
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
It is my fathers first hunting rifle, an Eddystone 1917 30.06 with a 28 inch barrel and weighs 10 pounds Watching someone shoot it it does look like it kicks hard, because of the barrel rising up and pushing you backwards, but its like a hand on your shoulder and just pushing, not like a slam. Also hold 6 rounds in tha magazine

Sorry about the bad pic:
Bolt Action Rifles. - General Rifle Discussion
part of that is from the weight. 10 lb rifles are not lighweight!

BTW, that's a good looking rifle too!
Axxe55 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:10 AM   #353
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Anna_Purna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,236
Liked 6753 Times on 3670 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Default

Thanks Axxe, I'd love to refinish it, but also want to keep his memories with it as is.
Anna_Purna is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #354
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Thanks Axxe, I'd love to refinish it, but also want to keep his memories with it as is.
it looks great just the way it is. it needs nothing but to be shot and taken care of.
Axxe55 is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #355
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I have a Remington 700 ADL chambered in 30-06 with a Pachmayr recoil pad on it. It has a decently soft recoil. Try adding a good recoil pad to yours, it might help a lot.
i meant to tell you, but forgot to. you did an good job on the recoil pad on your rifle. very well done brother!
Axxe55 is offline  
5
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #356
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i have quite a few M700's in various calibers. the replacement for the Mossberg in 30-06 was a used M700 with a beautiful walnut stock on it. that one is downright gentle to shoot, even the same loads i used for the Mossberg.

my M700 in 7mm R.M. is very pleasant to shoot with the loads i worked up for it. i use a slow powder, (IMR 4895) with 165 gr. bullets, that are gentle on the shoulder and very accurate. it's an older synthetic stocked ADL with a factory camo finish to it. i have put as many as 60-80 rounds through it in a days worth of shooting with not any shoulder pain at all.
My savage 110 7mm R.M. isn't too bad, I like the recoil pad on the the savage. It gives a lot of cushion. It isn't a strong powerful kick as much as it is a fast punch type kick. It's hard to describe...
95sniper is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:37 AM   #357
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Reno,Texas
Posts: 10,211
Liked 6580 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i meant to tell you, but forgot to. you did an good job on the recoil pad on your rifle. very well done brother!
Thanks.
texaswoodworker is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #358
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
My savage 110 7mm R.M. isn't too bad, I like the recoil pad on the the savage. It gives a lot of cushion. It isn't a strong powerful kick as much as it is a fast punch type kick. It's hard to describe...
i have shot some of the Hornady Superperformance ammo out of mine, and let me tell you, it's like the Hammer of Thor hitting you in the shoulder! ouch!

that's why i like the slower powders for it. i get a much more gentle felt recoil and very good accuracy with it. using either the IMR 4895 or the IMR 4831, i can still get over 2700 fps in muzzle velocity with a 165 gr. bullet. works great on paper targets and would still bust a deer if i wanted it to.
Axxe55 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #359
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 820
Liked 157 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

i have shot some of the Hornady Superperformance ammo out of mine, and let me tell you, it's like the Hammer of Thor hitting you in the shoulder! ouch!

that's why i like the slower powders for it. i get a much more gentle felt recoil and very good accuracy with it. using either the IMR 4895 or the IMR 4831, i can still get over 2700 fps in muzzle velocity with a 165 gr. bullet. works great on paper targets and would still bust a deer if i wanted it to.
I am getting ready to reload for the gun I just don't have a lot of brass yet...
95sniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #360
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 7
Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95sniper View Post
I am getting ready to reload for the gun I just don't have a lot of brass yet...
i have noticed that several places seem to be lacking brass for reloading right now. of course the other option that i use sometimes is to buy factory ammo for the brass after i have shot it.
Axxe55 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
need advice on bolt action rifles malmais General Rifle Discussion 12 06-14-2013 07:24 PM
.22 lr single shot bolt action rifles? Gert999 .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 36 01-03-2013 11:22 PM
lever action vs bolt action Zamzow General Rifle Discussion 14 06-11-2012 02:43 PM
What .22 bolt action rifles can i find at a gunshow? HGwarhawk .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 4 03-03-2012 04:35 PM
Questions regarding Glock 18's and bolt-action-rifles TXWolf23 Gunsmithing Forum 15 12-30-2011 05:23 PM