Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 01:15 AM   #21
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44230

thanks to everyone for sharing their pictures!

also i would like to share any tips or advice on repairs or modifications to your rifles. how to make a rifle more accurate. like glassbedding the stocks, or doing a pillar bedded stock. maybe sources for parts. maybe tips on refinishing the wood or metal work on the rifle. maybe even a how-to on doing a camo paintjob on a synthetic stock.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #22

Liked 1744 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
thanks to everyone for sharing their pictures!

also i would like to share any tips or advice on repairs or modifications to your rifles. how to make a rifle more accurate. like glassbedding the stocks, or doing a pillar bedded stock. maybe sources for parts. maybe tips on refinishing the wood or metal work on the rifle. maybe even a how-to on doing a camo paintjob on a synthetic stock.
The Mosin is one of the first I ever really documented in photos as I went through the procedure of repairing the stock and bedding the action. The wood refinishing I've done has largely gone undocumented, as far as step by step stuff, and most was done on lever guns or semi-autos. Same with camo. I've done a few, but most were semi-autos and I didn't document steps.

I've moved across country now and don't have a garage or workshop at the house we are renting. We won't be buying a house until we can sell our house in Georgia, or a hurricane takes it away.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I've read on this forum before that bolt guns, or Military bolt guns are antiquated. I'm just not seeing it. I've actually sold all my auto loaders except for 1. OK 2. A pistol caliber carbine and a 12ga. Even when I had auto loaders I shot my bolt guns more often. Would I buy another auto loader, maybe if It really feels right. I'm good with my bolt guns. I have refined my bolt guns over the years so that I've kept the ones that suite my needs. Funny part is they were proven platforms from 1800's technology. All the bolt guns since are based on that same technology. If I ever had to "bug out" I'd be carrying a 1943 M38 Swede in 6.5x55 w/ iron sights. Fast, accurate and I'd own a 400 yard FOV area. The scoped rifles I've posted pics of are all set up for 300..500 yards+, but it is the old school stuff that is the easiest to use and most effective. At least for me.

As good solid practical rifles a bolt action is hard to beat. But I bet the Germans and Japanese wish they had fielded a good semi-auto or auto rifle early on, instead of facing Garands with bolt actions. Just say'n.

I wouldn't want to lug a Garand on a high altitude elk hunt though.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3667 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
As good solid practical rifles a bolt action is hard to beat. But I bet the Germans and Japanese wish they had fielded a good semi-auto or auto rifle early on, instead of facing Garands with bolt actions. Just say'n.

I wouldn't want to lug a Garand on a high altitude elk hunt though.

Although a bolt action rifle in the hands of one Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev took on the entire Nazi army in Stalingrad
Old 06-17-2013, 03:59 AM   #25

I've had my Grandparent's Mauser 95 in 7x57mm for a few years. I really enjoy shooting it. My grandfather bought it sporterized decades ago and my grandmother used it for years after my grandfather's Parkenson's disease got too advanced for him to hunt anymore. She put several deer in the freezer, and it spent a god many days hunting with my uncle or cousins when they would visit my grandmother's Texas hill top during deer season.

It still shoots o.k. but I feel that it could shoot a bit better. I may try bedding the action, free floating the barrel and redoing the crown to see if I can get some better accuracy. I may also drop in a Timney trigger eventually. A good refinish would do it some justice, and since the collector value is gone, the refresh would not harm the value. It's staying in the family any way. it already has some form of baked enamel finish on it that has chipped and scratched in several places. If I get around to it I will try to document the process and detail it here.

It is Spanish, but has a serial range that could have put it into Boer war time frame. It also has a star of David on it, which could mean that it was a leased gun from the British for the establishment of Israel. Too bad it can't talk, and that it suffered the fate of sporterizing.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #26

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Default trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I've had my Grandparent's Mauser 95 in 7x57mm for a few years. I really enjoy shooting it. My grandfather bought it sporterized decades ago and my grandmother used it for years after my grandfather's Parkenson's disease got too advanced for him to hunt anymore. She put several deer in the freezer, and it spent a god many days hunting with my uncle or cousins when they would visit my grandmother's Texas hill top during deer season.

It still shoots o.k. but I feel that it could shoot a bit better. I may try bedding the action, free floating the barrel and redoing the crown to see if I can get some better accuracy. I may also drop in a Timney trigger eventually. A good refinish would do it some justice, and since the collector value is gone, the refresh would not harm the value. It's staying in the family any way. it already has some form of baked enamel finish on it that has chipped and scratched in several places. If I get around to it I will try to document the process and detail it here.

It is Spanish, but has a serial range that could have put it into Boer war time frame. It also has a star of David on it, which could mean that it was a leased gun from the British for the establishment of Israel. Too bad it can't talk, and that it suffered the fate of sporterizing.

If it still has the military 2 stage trigger, then installing a new Timney or Bold trigger will improve the accuracy more than anything else you can do. You can get a new Bold (without the safety as you already have a low scope safety installed) trigger from Midway for less than $40 and install it yourself. They are very easy to install. I have installed many. The biggest headache is that you will probably have to remove some wood from inside the stock to allow the new trigger to drop in. A moto tool makes this job much easier.
ct
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM   #27

Liked 2202 Times on 1264 Posts
Likes Given: 1791

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Although a bolt action rifle in the hands of one Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev took on the entire Nazi army in Stalingrad
Proved decisively, and once and for all, that it's not the weapon,

it's the will.

Bolt actions carry the longer rifle cartridges. The Garand was one of

the few semis to do that, and it had serious limitations.

Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
If it still has the military 2 stage trigger, then installing a new Timney or Bold trigger will improve the accuracy more than anything else you can do. You can get a new Bold (without the safety as you already have a low scope safety installed) trigger from Midway for less than $40 and install it yourself. They are very easy to install. I have installed many. The biggest headache is that you will probably have to remove some wood from inside the stock to allow the new trigger to drop in. A moto tool makes this job much easier.
ct
Thanks for the tip on the Bold trigger. I'll have to check them out.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
It wasn't just his rifle alone. I believe the WWII Russian sniper with the highest confirmed kills was actually a woman. Stalingrad did indeed show the Russain determination to win, and a will to continue to pour resources into a campaign. Of course Russian soldiers were motivated by the knowledge that they could fight and die to the fire of teh enemy or be shot by thier commanding officers and NCO's if they retreated. and it was still bolt on bolt as far as battel rifles go. The russians also dumped a lot of PPSHs into that campaign, which cannot be discounted in the house to house fighting thta was done there.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6731 Times on 3667 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I have seen a couple of bolt actions fail in sub zero degree weather just from being over oiled. Imagine an autoloader when you really need it!