Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #261
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Axxe, thanks again and you understand me more than you realize. My interest in guns started when I was probably around 5 with my late uncle doing the influencing. Since I had no father growing up and he being a gun nut as well really instilled in me his love for all those classic weapons and he had a great appreciation for the higher quality guns. I see how you appreciate them also. In the 1950's my uncle would give me his Gun Digests each year and I'd drool over all the handguns. I wanted a Colt DS .38 when I was 8, but eventually he bought me one when I became a police officer. I remember circling and putting check marks next to all the guns I liked and stare at them all night. I still remember how the pages of those books smelled like the library.

I always bought what I liked, but in order to better my collection I learned a long time ago to let go of one gun that I really wanted to keep in order to obtain something of a higher quality that I wanted more. At times I had to pay some of them off over a long period of time and even work second jobs and even borrow from friends and family. There were even times when I had to sell a couple in order to pay for Xmas gifts for the wife and kids. That hurt, but I was thankful for having something to sell that got me good money.

I must admit that being formerly in LE allowed me to purchase fairly easily things that civilians would get hassled over in the miserable state I live in. I was also exposed to more guns than most and was always being offered various weapons to purchase. Many were terrific and highly collectable, but I usually couldn't afford it.

The G&H .270 I posted is a good example of how hard my uncle worked to have it built from 1950-1952. He'd go back and forth to G&H when he had a few bucks to pay to have some work done on it. The stock alone took one year to make and believe me as a steamfitter in the construction trades with a wife to support he didn't have much money to spare for guns. But he demanded the best quality guns that he could get and felt quality was more important than quantity.That's a lesson the kids today should learn.

It's also important, at least to myself, to have an ecclectic collection, which expands knowledge and makes things allot more interesting. I did inherit a number of my uncles guns when he passed away 10 years ago and am attempting to keep the ones I got together the way he would've wanted. I'm not surprised how much alike our taste in guns were. Damn I wrote a novel here, sorry about that. It's one of those sleepless nights for me I guess.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 08-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.
People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #262
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19603 Times on 11127 Posts
Likes Given: 49355

Gunsmoke, that was a great story. i have very varied interests in all types of guns, but the older classic bolt actions are something that to this day are what really capture my interest. i like seeing finely crafted handmade rifles that a gunsmith built from the ground up.

i have seen a few of those Griffin & Howe rifles over the years in different magazines. they are some really fine looking rifles.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #263
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1059 Times on 684 Posts
Likes Given: 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
These are a few that I have photos of:

Griffin & Howe Custom Mauser .270 Win.

Italian Vetterli-Vitali 10.35x47R my oldest bolt action mfg 1875 and Anschutz Mannlicher .22mag

British Engraved Custom WJ Jeffery .333 Take down

German Custom Mauser re-barreled and converted by G&H from 416 Rigby to .375H&H

Marlin Crown Prince .22 mfg 1959

JP Sauer Model90 Stutzen Mannlicher 30-06

Steyr Model M Mannlicher 7x57
Really nice!!!! I have a thing for quality. So much so that I became a quality engineer and I love to see fine rifles like those because of the quality. I can't compare new rifles to those because the new rifles aren't even close in terms of quality and craftsmanship.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:23 PM   #264
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6558 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
These are a few that I have photos of:

Griffin & Howe Custom Mauser .270 Win.

Italian Vetterli-Vitali 10.35x47R my oldest bolt action mfg 1875 and Anschutz Mannlicher .22mag

British Engraved Custom WJ Jeffery .333 Take down

German Custom Mauser re-barreled and converted by G&H from 416 Rigby to .375H&H

Marlin Crown Prince .22 mfg 1959

JP Sauer Model90 Stutzen Mannlicher 30-06

Steyr Model M Mannlicher 7x57
Beautiful collection gunsmoke! And a great story too.

The quality and beauty of those rifles is what I'm wanting in my precision 6.5 build.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #265

Liked 476 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Beautiful collection gunsmoke! And a great story too.

The quality and beauty of those rifles is what I'm wanting in my precision 6.5 build.
Thank you Texas. Speaking of the 6.5 I have to say one of the sweetest and accurate rifles I ever shot is my friend's Swedish model 1896 Mauser rifle in cal. 6.5x55. I was with him at the gun show where he purchased it a few yews ago for just a couple hundred dollars.

The dealer had a few of them that were re-finished to like new condition with a jeweled butt plate and magazine floor plate. It's screws were even fire blued as well. My friend brought it to his gunsmith and had it converted last year to a sniper after getting a reproduction mount for an original scope he picked up that was also cheap. In total he spent very little on a beautiful sleek tack driver that I wish now I had bought as well. Even us old dogs make bad judgement calls.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #266

Quote:
Thank you Texas. Speaking of the 6.5 I have to say one of the sweetest and accurate rifles I ever shot is my friend's Swedish model 1896 Mauser rifle in cal. 6.5x55. I was with him at the gun show where he purchased it a few yews ago for just a couple hundred dollars.

The dealer had a few of them that were re-finished to like new condition with a jeweled butt plate and magazine floor plate. It's screws were even fire blued as well. My friend brought it to his gunsmith and had it converted last year to a sniper after getting a reproduction mount for an original scope he picked up that was also cheap. In total he spent very little on a beautiful sleek tack driver that I wish now I had bought as well. Even us old dogs make bad judgement calls.
6.5x55 Swede is what I was originally planning on, but after learning about some of the other 6.5mms out there, I want to learn more first. I'm still leaning heavily towards the 6.5x55 Swede, but I just want to explore all my options.

I'd like to pick up one of those Swedish 1896 Mausers too at some point.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #267

While we're on the topic, lets talk about the 6.5s. Here's what I've found so far.

6.5x55mm Swede
6.5x55 Ackley Improved
6.5-257 Roberts AI
6.5x47 Lapua
6.5 Remington Magnum
6.5 Creedmoor
6.5-06
6.5-06 Ackley Improved
6.5-06 A Square
.260 Remington
6.5-284
260 Ackley Improved
6.5x57mm
6.5x57mm Ackley Improved
260 AAR
6.5-08
6.5-08 Ackley Improved
264 WinMag
6.5 Sherman

This is why I am rethinking the 6.5x55 Swede. There are SO many 6.5s to choose from. What are some of the pros and cons of these calibers in terms of accuracy, range, barrel life (in a HEAVY barrel) and cost to reload (a dollar or two a round means less range time)?

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 08-18-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 AM   #268
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 507

The Swede is a great cartridge,and is available almost anywhere.
The 6.5-284 is one of the hot rod's of the group.It has great long range performance,but also less barrel life.
The 260 Rem.-6.5 Creedmoor-and 6.5x47 Lapua are so close on performance,there's really no clear advantage for any of them. The Creedmoor allows you to make use of your magazine with the long match grade bullets seated out near the lands.
All of the Ackley Improved calibers just have a better burn,and thus more velocity than their standard calibers.

I'm going to build a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved next. The real reason I'm going to have the Ackley Improved version is just to keep the brass easily separated from my 25/06 brass,since the angle of the neck is easy to distinguish from a standard neck angle.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 08-19-2013, 03:48 AM   #269
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19603 Times on 11127 Posts
Likes Given: 49355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The Swede is a great cartridge,and is available almost anywhere.
The 6.5-284 is one of the hot rod's of the group.It has great long range performance,but also less barrel life.
The 260 Rem.-6.5 Creedmoor-and 6.5x47 Lapua are so close on performance,there's really no clear advantage for any of them. The Creedmoor allows you to make use of your magazine with the long match grade bullets seated out near the lands.
All of the Ackley Improved calibers just have a better burn,and thus more velocity than their standard calibers.

I'm going to build a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved next. The real reason I'm going to have the Ackley Improved version is just to keep the brass easily separated from my 25/06 brass,since the angle of the neck is easy to distinguish from a standard neck angle.
the more calibers you reload for, this can become a problem! some can even look very much alike. i reload for four different ones that are based off the the 30-06 and have to make sue i keep them sorted, the 30-06, 270, 280 and the 25-06.

a good sorting and seperation is key here when you reload for multiple calibers that have similiar dimensions.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:56 AM   #270

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've always liked having a set trigger, don't see them to often