Bolt Action Rifles. - Page 26
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 02:43 AM   #251
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i am disappointed that so few modern bolt actions put irons on their guns.

i have been itching for a bolt gun with a detach mag and iron sights...but most options with this end up overly pricey imo.

i've been thinking of a bolt action, but i personally like a lever action a little better over all.
You could always go the milsurp route. IIRC, the Swiss K31 had a detachable mag, great trigger, and iron sights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
Aaron,If you went with a Remington action you could buy one of these. They sure look pretty!

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-649/Remington-700-BDL-Classic/Detail
Pretty! Still like the idea of the Savage better though. Gotta save every penny I can so I can afford better parts for the rifle.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:52 AM   #252
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
What go into truing an action and barrel nut?

The Rem/Aid barrels seem pretty interesting, But I'd rather just use a Savage action with a Kreiger barrel.

I don't plan on doing this on a strict budget, but several thousand dollars for the rifle is pretty much out of the question for me right now. I'd say a good idea for this budget would be $1500-$2000 including the glass. (one of the reasons why this project will be delayed for awhile)
My 6.5 Creedmoor was built from scratch. I bought a Trued Savage Varmint action and trued barrel nut from Northland Shooters Supply for around $560 shipped. My barrel was part of a group buy,and was $194 shipped.
Depending on what action you go with,it can be more or less,a Kreiger barrel is going to cost double for what I paid for mine.
Then add the cost of your stock,bedding materials,scope base/rings/optics,and you can stay around $2k for a super shooting rifle.

My Creedmoor isn't finished yet.The stock and optics are from my 308. I'm planning on getting a Manner's stock for it,and putting a Nightforce NSX scope on it,but can't do it right now,and that's going to add another $2500-2700 to that rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
i am disappointed that so few modern bolt actions put irons on their guns.

i have been itching for a bolt gun with a detach mag and iron sights...but most options with this end up overly pricey imo.

i've been thinking of a bolt action, but i personally like a lever action a little better over all.
You can always have a gunsmith add iron sights to a barrel,it wouldn't cost too much to get it done.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 03:02 AM   #253
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Pretty! Still like the idea of the Savage better though. Gotta save every penny I can so I can afford better parts for the rifle.
If you want to save even more money,just find a beat up used Savage rifle,or better yet a Stevens 200 ( It's just a stripped down 10/110 without an Accutrigger),and use the action off of it.
You can always change out the trigger,and can duracoat it any color you want.

I'll lend you my action/barrel nut wrenches,so that will save you even more money,and depending on the caliber,I may even have the Go/No Go gauges too.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 AM   #254
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
If you want to save even more money,just find a beat up used Savage rifle,or better yet a Stevens 200 ( It's just a stripped down 10/110 without an Accutrigger),and use the action off of it.
You can always change out the trigger,and can duracoat it any color you want.
If I can find one with a bolt that will work for what ever chambering I choose (leaning heavily towards 6.5x55 but open to suggestions), I'll definitely do that. I was going to change the trigger to a Timney or a Jewell anyways.

Quote:
I'll lend you my action/barrel nut wrenches,so that will save you even more money,and depending on the caliber,I may even have the Go/No Go gauges too.
That would be awesome! Thanks!
Old 08-18-2013, 03:41 AM   #255

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Texaswoodworker mentioned the K-31 Swiss. The straight pull chambered in the 7.5 X 55 Swiss is a very fine Mil-Surp. The 7.5 Swiss falls neatly between the 30-06 and the .308. The 30-06 was designed from the 7.5 Swiss SR cartridge. I have never used one for hunting but they are very accurate. This one is used for 1,000 meter iron. For hunting I like the early Sako and Pre-64 Mdl. 70 Winchesters.

img_0325.jpg  
Old 08-18-2013, 04:04 AM   #256
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
There's 3 ways you can go.
(1) Use a Mauser/Remington/etc action and have a gunsmith install and headspace your barrel. $$$

(2) Use a Remington action,and use a Rem/Age barrel-Remington style barrel with a barrel nut like a Savage.
Here's a link - http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?344-Remington-Pre-Fit-Rem-Age-Barrels

(3) Use a Savage action,and buy whatever brand of barrel you want for it,and do everything yourself.

I always get my actions and barrel nuts trued for my builds,it adds a few dollars to the build,but it also increases the accuracy of the rifle.

You asked if a Savage can be as accurate as the others. Hell yes they are,I won't claim they are any better because that all depends on who's behind the trigger,but they are just as accurate as any other brand of a production rifle.
You would have to go into a full blown custom action to claim to have a more accurate shooting rifle,and then you are talking about a rifle that is several thousand dollars to build under the tightest of clearances.
i am really liking this Rem/Age barrel system for a Remington action! might just be the thing for my M700 action i have sitting out in the shop.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 AM   #257

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

These are a few that I have photos of:

Griffin & Howe Custom Mauser .270 Win.

Italian Vetterli-Vitali 10.35x47R my oldest bolt action mfg 1875 and Anschutz Mannlicher .22mag

British Engraved Custom WJ Jeffery .333 Take down

German Custom Mauser re-barreled and converted by G&H from 416 Rigby to .375H&H

Marlin Crown Prince .22 mfg 1959

JP Sauer Model90 Stutzen Mannlicher 30-06

Steyr Model M Mannlicher 7x57

Old 08-18-2013, 05:22 AM   #258

Gunsmoke, those are some beautiful rifles. very nice.

thank you for sharing them with us.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:07 AM   #259

Liked 489 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
Gunsmoke, those are some beautiful rifles. very nice.

thank you for sharing them with us.
Axxe, half the enjoyment of having them is showing them to others who appreciate them. I usually don't take photos of my guns, but I have other bolt actions as well. Perhaps I can snap a few more pics. Thanks for the compliment. It took many years of sacrifice in order to get them, but in the end it was worth it. I'm proud to be a gun nut.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
Axxe, half the enjoyment of having them is showing them to others who appreciate them. I usually don't take photos of my guns, but I have other bolt actions as well. Perhaps I can snap a few more pics. Thanks for the compliment. It took many years of sacrifice in order to get them, but in the end it was worth it. I'm proud to be a gun nut.
i'm glad you're a gun nut too! because you have some really incredible rifles from a bygone era. some of those look like many i saw on the pages of the old American Rifleman magazines my father had when i was younger.