Bolt Action Rifles. - Page 25
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #241
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21298 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Already have the book.

I know Savage makes a good gun, but could it be as accurate as the Remington would be if I went that route?
i don't see why not. factory Savage rifles have a good reputation for accuracy and putting a quality aftermarket barrel should make it even more accurate.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 08-18-2013, 01:34 AM   #242
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6562 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i don't see why not. factory Savage rifles have a good reputation for accuracy and putting a quality aftermarket barrel should make it even more accurate.
Seems like that would be a good option for me then.

Next is the stock. Has anyone experienced any difference in accuracy between a quality wood stock vs a quality composite/plastic stock? I'd like to put this gun in a beautiful figured walnut stock, but not if I loose some precision.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:37 AM   #243

Quote:
Seems like that would be a good option for me then.

Next is the stock. Has anyone experienced any difference in accuracy between a quality wood stock vs a quality composite/plastic stock? I'd like to put this gun in a beautiful figured walnut stock, but not if I loose some precision.
check out Boyd's Gun Stocks. they have a walnut stock to fit the Savage rifles.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9424&cat=1223

you can always pillar bed the stock and also glass bed it if needed.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:58 AM   #244

Quote:
check out Boyd's Gun Stocks. they have a walnut stock to fit the Savage rifles.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=9424&cat=1223

you can always pillar bed the stock and also glass bed it if needed.
I've already looked into the glass bedding and pillar bedding. Interesting processes.

As for the stock, I like it, but it's a little plainer then what I was thinking of (At least from what I could see in the pic). I LOVED the nutmeg though. Looks just like my Remington 700's stock

Did a little looking on their site, and I liked some of their options. I wonder if they can get wood like this.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 AM   #245

Quote:
I've already looked into the glass bedding and pillar bedding. Interesting processes.

As for the stock, I like it, but it's a little plainer then what I was thinking of (At least from what I could see in the pic). I LOVED the nutmeg though. Looks just like my Remington 700's stock

Did a little looking on their site, and I liked some of their options. I wonder if they can get wood like this.

Aaron, check out this site. they have lots of options on wood choices.

http://rifle-stocks.com/
Old 08-18-2013, 02:08 AM   #246

Quote:
Aaron, check out this site. they have lots of options on wood choices.

http://rifle-stocks.com/
Nice! Thanks.

Not the style I want, but the wood I want.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:26 AM   #247
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Quote:
This has gotten me thinking. I was going to build a custom 6.5mm target rifle (which will unfortunately be delayed for awhile) and I'm still wide open for suggestions on it's design. I had originally planned on using a Mauser action or possibly a Remington, but the idea of paying hundreds of dollars to have a barrel put on the action makes be cringe. I'd rather do it myself if possible.

The barrel I planned on using is a heavy Krieger barrel. Would I be better off getting a Savage, or sticking with my original plan?

BTW, nice topic guys.
There's 3 ways you can go.
(1) Use a Mauser/Remington/etc action and have a gunsmith install and headspace your barrel. $$$

(2) Use a Remington action,and use a Rem/Age barrel-Remington style barrel with a barrel nut like a Savage.
Here's a link - http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?344-Remington-Pre-Fit-Rem-Age-Barrels

(3) Use a Savage action,and buy whatever brand of barrel you want for it,and do everything yourself.

I always get my actions and barrel nuts trued for my builds,it adds a few dollars to the build,but it also increases the accuracy of the rifle.

You asked if a Savage can be as accurate as the others. Hell yes they are,I won't claim they are any better because that all depends on who's behind the trigger,but they are just as accurate as any other brand of a production rifle.
You would have to go into a full blown custom action to claim to have a more accurate shooting rifle,and then you are talking about a rifle that is several thousand dollars to build under the tightest of clearances.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 08-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
There's 3 ways you can go.
(1) Use a Mauser/Remington/etc action and have a gunsmith install and headspace your barrel. $$$

(2) Use a Remington action,and use a Rem/Age barrel-Remington style barrel with a barrel nut like a Savage.
Here's a link - http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?344-Remington-Pre-Fit-Rem-Age-Barrels

(3) Use a Savage action,and buy whatever brand of barrel you want for it,and do everything yourself.

I always get my actions and barrel nuts trued for my builds,it adds a few dollars to the build,but it also increases the accuracy of the rifle.

You asked if a Savage can be as accurate as the others. Hell yes they are,I won't claim they are any better because that all depends on who's behind the trigger,but they are just as accurate as any other brand of a production rifle.
You would have to go into a full blown custom action to claim to have a more accurate shooting rifle,and then you are talking about a rifle that is several thousand dollars to build under the tightest of clearances.
What go into truing an action and barrel nut?

The Rem/Aid barrels seem pretty interesting, But I'd rather just use a Savage action with a Kreiger barrel.

I don't plan on doing this on a strict budget, but several thousand dollars for the rifle is pretty much out of the question for me right now. I'd say a good idea for this budget would be $1500-$2000 including the glass. (one of the reasons why this project will be delayed for awhile)

Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #249

Liked 2715 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1724

i am disappointed that so few modern bolt actions put irons on their guns.

i have been itching for a bolt gun with a detach mag and iron sights...but most options with this end up overly pricey imo.

i've been thinking of a bolt action, but i personally like a lever action a little better over all.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #250
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1179 Times on 678 Posts
Likes Given: 568

Aaron,If you went with a Remington action you could buy one of these. They sure look pretty!

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-649/Remington-700-BDL-Classic/Detail

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This