Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #191
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19579 Times on 11111 Posts
Likes Given: 49290

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I cleaned the pin, but it still turns to the left. I'm not sure about filing the groove. The grove tapers slightly to keep the pin from falling out of it's hole. I'm afraid that if I try to file that area, I would end up widening the groove and causing problems. Any suggestions? Is there a way to add a little material to the spot that is worn, and file it smooth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
TIG welding that spot would probably be the best way to fix that.
i agree with Hillbilly that TIG welding would probably be the best way or if it doesn't affect it's fuction just leave it be.

but with a small weld of a TIG welder and some very careful work with some files, it should be able to be fixed rather easily.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #192
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6745 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
Castor, if you take your time and do it right, i seriously doubt you'll screw it up. look at what Shelle did on her first time doing a stock refinish. ............
Speaking of 'Anna'....

I just put the stock back onto the rifle and decided to show you my project so far. I am taking it out shooting this weekend, and wanted to get it ready. The finish is still pretty shiney, and I have plans on putting one more coat of Tung oil on, and rubbing it down before it dries to give me that not so shiney look, but didn't think I have enough time to do that, and then go shooting so soon, so I jumped the gate and decided the gloss look will have to do for now. Here is my 222 all ready to go try out in a few more days.

Anybody have an idea how to remove the front scope cap? I think the previous owner glued it on.

I have a brand new Nikon Buckmark 3x9x40 scope on my CZ-455 Lux, and thinking I am going to switch out that scope for this older Redfield 3x9 on this Sako. And then that and the one more coat and buffing it will be completed.

Thanks all for the help.

(This afternoon I am going to be making my powder dipper for the 222's then finish reloading them with powder and tips)

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 07-20-2013 at 05:33 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Speaking of 'Anna'....

I just put the stock back onto the rifle and decided to show you my project so far. I am taking it out shooting this weekend, and wanted to get it ready. The finish is still pretty shiney, and I have plans on putting one more coat of Tung oil on, and rubbing it down before it dries to give me that not so shiney look, but didn't think I have enough time to do that, and then go shooting so soon, so I jumped the gate and decided the gloss look will have to do for now. Here is my 222 all ready to go try out in a few more days.

Anybody have an idea how to remove the front scope cap? I think the previous owner glued it on.

I have a brand new Nikon Buckmark 3x9x40 scope on my CZ-22 Lux, and thinking I am going to switch out that scope for this older Redfield 3x9 on this Sako. And then that and the one more coat and buffing it will be completed.

Thanks all for the help.

(This afternoon I am going to be making my powder dipper for the 222's then finish reloading them with powder and tips)
i love it! that looks amazing and you did an awesome job for your first one. i am very proud of the job you just accomplished and glad that i could be of some help in guiding you through this project.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #194
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Jonas, I just wish the previous owner didn't thrash the bluing and the buttplate

Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #195

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna

Speaking of 'Anna'....

I have a brand new Nikon Buckmark 3x9x40 scope on my CZ-22 Lux, and thinking I am going to switch out that scope for this older Redfield 3x9 on this Sako. And then that and the one more coat and buffing it will be completed.

Thanks all for the help.

Love the wood grain on that stock. A job well done indeed

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

People Like This 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #196

Quote:
Thanks Jonas, I just wish the previous owner didn't thrash the bluing and the buttplate
sounds like a new suggestion for another story here on this thread!

try this. get some of the finest steel wool you can find and some Kano Kroil. rub the blued finish with the steel wool soaked with the Kano Kroil and then rub it out with some soft cotton cloths. it will bring the luster back of the blued steel and make it look almost like new again.

i cleaned up my father's old Winchester M70 a couple of years ago for him, after in had sat in his safe for more than sixteen years without being touched. it brought it back beautifully.

i originally bought my Kano Kroil as bore solvent as many benchrest shooter swear it's the best bore cleaner ever made. but have found it has many more uses as well. such as penetrant for rusted and seized screws and bolts, excellent cleaner for trigger assemblies and works great at restoring and removing rust from blued finishes. it's not expensive and it lasts a long time.
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 PM   #197
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you for the suggestion. I have some of the Kroil I use for my AK, and will have to now go to the store some time after this project and go look for some finest steel wool

Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 PM   #198

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. I have some of the Kroil I use for my AK, and will have to now go to the store some time after this project and go look for some finest steel wool
you're welcome. i am here to help if possible and that was my whole idea of starting this thread. to help others as much as possible and that i also could learn some new things as well.

i thank each and everyone that has contributed to this thread and i have learned some things as well.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #199

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
you're welcome. i am here to help if possible and that was my whole idea of starting this thread. to help others as much as possible and that i also could learn some new things as well.

i thank each and everyone that has contributed to this thread and i have learned some things as well.
It's been a great thread for sure axxe, glad you started it

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by longunner View Post
It's been a great thread for sure axxe, glad you started it
it has been a great thread, and not just because i started it, but for everyone's contibutions to the thread. it wouldn't have been the great thread it's become without all of you joining in and posting.