Bolt Action Rifles. - Page 19
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt Action Rifles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #181
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Western Field Model 175B. It has a Mossberg butt pad on it, so it could be a 385 made under another name. Let me check on that.

Thanks.
looks almost identical to my Mossberg 385T 20 ga. i'm thinking the same thing. made by Mossberg for Western Field with a different model number. Mossberg like many others made guns under private labels like Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto and many others.

if it didn't have the PolyChoke, i would have sworn you been sneaking into my gun cabinet!

BTW, the recoil pad does look great. good job on it!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:43 AM   #182
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
looks almost identical to my Mossberg 385T 20 ga. i'm thinking the same thing. made by Mossberg for Western Field with a different model number. Mossberg like many others made guns under private labels like Sears, Montgomery Wards, Western Auto and many others.

if it didn't have the PolyChoke, i would have sworn you been sneaking into my gun cabinet!

BTW, the recoil pad does look great. good job on it!
It's a sweet shooter too, though the magazine will sometimes get stubborn with me. Does the bolt on yours try to turn freely to the left when you have it all the way back? Mine does this occasionally. It doesn't do that if I move it slightly to the right first, and then to the left. It doesn't cause any real problems, it's just odd.

Thanks. I enjoyed doing it. I'll have to start doing that for all my heavy recoiling guns.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-11-2013 at 02:45 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:23 AM   #183

Quote:
It's a sweet shooter too, though the magazine will sometimes get stubborn with me. Does the bolt on yours try to turn freely to the left when you have it all the way back? Mine does this occasionally. It doesn't do that if I move it slightly to the right first, and then to the left. It doesn't cause any real problems, it's just odd.

Thanks. I enjoyed doing it. I'll have to start doing that for all my heavy recoiling guns.
mine actually had been shot very little and was one of the cleanest bolt action shotguns i had seen in many years. mine stays in one position when you lift and pull it back. bolt on mine is a little stiff, but use will smooth that out. i did put a recoil pad on mine to add a little LOP. i have very long arms!

you did a very good job on the recoil pad and it will soften some of the felt recoil quite a bit. a good recoil pad will make a rifle much more enjoyable to shoot.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
mine actually had been shot very little and was one of the cleanest bolt action shotguns i had seen in many years. mine stays in one position when you lift and pull it back. bolt on mine is a little stiff, but use will smooth that out. i did put a recoil pad on mine to add a little LOP. i have very long arms!

you did a very good job on the recoil pad and it will soften some of the felt recoil quite a bit. a good recoil pad will make a rifle much more enjoyable to shoot.
Here's what mine does. It locks up tight when I chamber a round, it just does this for some reason.

112.jpg

Here's what the bolt looks like when it is lined up correctly.

1121.jpg

Here's what it looks like when it is turned to the left like it is in the first pic.

1122.jpg

You may be able to see it in the 2nd pic, but there is a spring loaded pin that is supposed to keep the bolt from turning that in that direction by catching in a long groove. On the right side of the groove, there is a ramp that allows it to turn in that direction to close the bolt.

I'll see if I can get a clear close up pic of the groove.

Thanks. That recoil pad had definitely made my rifle more enjoyable to shoot.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 AM   #185

Quote:
Here's what mine does. It locks up tight when I chamber a round, it just does this for some reason.

Attachment 109744

Here's what the bolt looks like when it is lined up correctly.

Attachment 109745

Here's what it looks like when it is turned to the left like it is in the first pic.

Attachment 109746

You may be able to see it in the 2nd pic, but there is a spring loaded pin that is supposed to keep the bolt from turning that in that direction by catching in a long groove. On the right side of the groove, there is a ramp that allows it to turn in that direction to close the bolt.

I'll see if I can get a clear close up pic of the groove.

Thanks. That recoil pad had definitely made my rifle more enjoyable to shoot.
there appears to be a little more gap in your bolt body than mine. where the long groove is on the left side of the bolt, there is a small spring loaded pin that is suppose to protrude into the groove. might be some gunk or dirt in yours, not allowing the pin to potrude outward at times and then allowing the bolt to turn to the left like yours does. might just need a good cleaning. i think Numrich has some exploded views of the Mossberg bolt action shotguns. the only difference i see between your bolt and mine is the safety button on mine looks a little longer. just guessing, i think yours is a Mossberg under the Western Field label.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #186

I had to use a magnifying glass to get a decent close up (surprised that worked with the flash), but here it is.

1123.jpg

I think I see part of the problem. The left side of the groove is somewhat worn at the end. I'll also clean the pin. I think it's probably a combination of the two. Not sure about the gap. Probably just wear. This gun has definitely seen some use over the years.

Like I said, it's really not a big issue. I'd just like to fix it if I can.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-11-2013 at 04:35 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #187

Quote:
I had to use a magnifying glass to get a decent close up (surprised that worked with the flash), but here it is.

Attachment 109748

I think I see part of the problem. The left side of the groove is somewhat worn at the end. I'll also clean the pin. I think it's probably a combination of the two. Not sure about the gap. Probably just wear. This gun has definitely seen some use over the years.

Like I said, it's really not a big issue. I'd just like to fix it if I can.
looks like a little dressing with a file on the groove and a good cleaning of the pin and spring, should fix the problem. actually the picture shows a lot of detail!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:20 AM   #188

I cleaned the pin, but it still turns to the left. I'm not sure about filing the groove. The grove tapers slightly to keep the pin from falling out of it's hole. I'm afraid that if I try to file that area, I would end up widening the groove and causing problems. Any suggestions? Is there a way to add a little material to the spot that is worn, and file it smooth?

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-16-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #189
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

TIG welding that spot would probably be the best way to fix that.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #190

Liked 2454 Times on 1592 Posts

Know any toolmakers?

Feral cat waterboarder