Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Bolt action rifle for beginner? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/bolt-action-rifle-beginner-39502/)

kbeezy88 03-08-2011 09:00 PM

Bolt action rifle for beginner?

Hey guys and gals. I recently decided that I want to get into target shooting and am looking for a low cost but decent rifle to learn fundamentals on. I'd like to shoot from long distances as well. The optics can come later, as I said I just wanna learn fundamentals. Is anything with a larger caliber than .22 gonna be too much to start on?

orangello 03-08-2011 09:15 PM

I started with a .22 bolt action, but i was 6 at the time. If you want longer range, you will need a longer (more powerful) cartridge. Why not start with the .22 & move to a centerfire, longer cartridge later? The .22 will be good for practice on the cheap ammo.

kbeezy88 03-08-2011 09:20 PM

yea I was sorta thinking that might be a good move. I have shot a .22 before but only one time at boyscout camp at age 12, but considering I haven't shot nething but a bb gun since then the .22 is probably the best choice. I have heard Ruger makes a solid .22 rifle. any thoughts?

pioneer461 03-08-2011 09:27 PM

I agree with orangello. I began at the tender age of 12, using a single shot, bolt action .22 short rifle, with open sights. Most folks believe that bolt guns are far more accurate than semi-autos. I happen to agree with that, although there are some very accurate semi-autos being made. I'm primarily a pistolero, but I do appreciate an accurate rifle.

May I suggest finding a local gun club that sponsors long range shooting? Those are the folks you really want to talk with. I don't know of any gunners who don't like to talk / brag about their sport. When you really get into it, you will find yourself spending a lot of time and money on gear, and for the sake of accuracy, loading your own custom ammo.

VitSports6 03-08-2011 09:29 PM

Mossberg 802 Plinkster.
I bought my daughter one in Pink from WalMart for $160.00 The black one was about $20 cheaper.
It shoots well, It had am 8 round magazine(IIRC) you can add a scope later if needed, It had the Dove tail mount rather than the wider Weaver style.
Best of luck

ninjatoth 03-08-2011 09:38 PM

As far as calibers,a .22LR would be a cheap way to learn how to shoot well,but you are really limited to 100 yards for reilistic accuracy.I think something like a .22-250 would give you lots of long range ability and very little recoil.

canebrake 03-08-2011 09:44 PM

The Ruger 77/22, an outstanding rifle;

Ruger 7722 Standard 22LR, Blued, American Walnut 7722-R $579.00 SHIPS FREE

But if you are going to spend that much, you could get two of these;

Savage AXIS 223 $294.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS 308 $280.00 SHIPS FREE

Or one of these with the scope included;

Savage AXIS XP 223 CAMO W/SCP $366.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS XP 308StainlessW/SCP $381.00 SHIPS FREE

And you may want to read this;

Out of the box accuracy

How's Beverly Hills? I used to live in Northville.

kbeezy88 03-08-2011 11:46 PM

wow thank you all so much for the info. I like the looks of the Savage AXIS 308, and it sounds like they are quite accurate outta the box :), and a nice price for a beginner.

Northville eh? I haven't made it out that way much but my grandma lives in warren. Beverly Hills is chill though, lots of family's and houses, haha - luckily my family owns a cabin up near Alpena so I can practice shooting on state land out there. I'm trying to get outta here pretty soon though. I am hopefully joining the Marines! :D whered u move to if I may ask?

canebrake 03-09-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbeezy88 (Post 460533)
wow thank you all so much for the info. I like the looks of the Savage AXIS 308, and it sounds like they are quite accurate outta the box :), and a nice price for a beginner.

Northville eh? I haven't made it out that way much but my grandma lives in warren. Beverly Hills is chill though, lots of family's and houses, haha - luckily my family owns a cabin up near Alpena so I can practice shooting on state land out there. I'm trying to get outta here pretty soon though. I am hopefully joining the Marines! :D whered u move to if I may ask?

I worked at the GM Tech Center for years. Retired and living in Ft. Lauderdale now.

Good luck future Devil Dog, send me a PM should you ever get to South Florida.

cane

workinprogress 03-09-2011 02:03 PM

Some of you guys are closer than I realize, I'm out in Troy at the moment.

I like the Savage rifles myself but pretty much everything is going to be good these days. Just go out and handle a few to see which one feels the best. If you're just going to target shoot you may want to go with a heavy barrel. .22 is good to start out on also because you won't develop a flinch from expecting the recoil.