Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt action rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bolt action rifle...

You know I have been shooting ever since I was 6 or 7 (with my older brothers supervision of course). Back then my brother Bob would drive into the Southern California desert with an old single shot Marlin bolt action 22 rifle. Some my best memories were those days dispatching jack rabbits and the occasional bird that would wander into our air space...Anyways...all these years and many, many rifles, pistols and shotguns and I have never owned a centerfire bolt rifle...Only recently did I fire a friends .243...Oh I have lever and auto-loaders...and now I'm on the hunt...the main criteria is one many will consider limiting but I always insist on military rounds...whether they be out dated or current...I live by this unwritten rule...lot's of reasons and none in particular...I know there are better performers...I also know that .5 MOA or 2MOA won't make any difference to the POA for all practicle applications...so it's .308 or 30-06...I'm looking at the BDL...I really like the looks of the M77 International...that full length stock just looks nice...oh...one other criteria...a rifle must have iron sights...I'll scope it but iron sights is a must...I can't believe they aren't put on all rifles...so I may have just narrowed it down to the 2 I mentioned...there may be a Savage out there somewhere with irons still...so you guys with hands on...what thinks you?...I was out deer hunting with my AR-15 last month and thought I'd like to find something a little more tradtional before next season...

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I own or have owned so many different brands of rifles it would take a good while to count them up. I personally want them to shoot better than 1/2 moa, but have a friend like you. When I was telling him his new SKS would probly shoot no better than 4 moa his reply was, That`s good enough to heart shoot a deer at 100 yrds, and most of my shots will be 50 yrds. or less so why would I need better. Any way, THEY ALL WORK. However some are alot smoother and some are just easier to use. I like the Savage action because I can change the barrels on them so easily, but that would mean nothing to you. Really just find a gun you liike and feels good to you and go for it.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 12-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #3

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If I were to pick according to your criteria my choice would be a nice 1903-A3. That way you are not only shooting a military calibre but a timeless collectable piece of history. with some choice in sights. Just MHO.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 12-18-2010, 11:16 PM   #4

Thanks guys...I guess I asked for that! don't get me wrong...I fully appreciate extreme accuracy and have friends that have built 10 thousand dollar rifles and mic every hand loaded bullet...I also realize that .5 moa at 100 yards will translate into 5 inches at 1000...my point was most of the shooting I would do with this rifle will be 50 to 300 yards average deer hunting distance...the caliber thing is personal as are the iron sights...In most case my reliance on a scope would be fine...call it a quirk of experience...either way...the 1903-A3 is a beautiful rifle...kinda heavy...I'm not that hard core though. I did hope for some insightful commentary from them who have used the 3 rifles I mentioned...I supose I should learn to get to the point without all the color and fill...

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I dont believe Savage has any cf rifles in current production with irons. CZ has a couple in 30-06 in the 550 series. The CZ rifles come with set trigger and are extremely nice and noted for accuracy. Pricey though. The last Ruger bolt I bought had a verticle stringing problem and I had to have it floated. Sub moa after that.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4465 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I dont believe Savage has any cf rifles in current production with irons. CZ has a couple in 30-06 in the 550 series. The CZ rifles come with set trigger and are extremely nice and noted for accuracy. Pricey though. The last Ruger bolt I bought had a verticle stringing problem and I had to have it floated. Sub moa after that.
the cz550 is VERY nice ive got one chambered in 458LOTT its got the set trigger and folding leaf express sights. its a little on the heavy side but the quality s superb. the 550's turn up at gunshows now and then and pawn shops and used racks in gun stores. very nice undervalued rifles. i got mine at a gunshow practically unfired the guy didnt like the recoil gave him 500$ for it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-19-2010, 12:56 AM   #7

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

You really should look at the CZ 550FS. Amazing rifle. You should also look at 6.5x55, it is a former Military caliber.
Pro of the CZ, it is a true Mauser controlled feed action, Single set trigger, Made like nothing else.
Con of the Ruger, They are hit or miss in the accuracy department.
Pro of 6.5x55, Low recoil, Super accurate, W/ the High BC and SD of the bullet it has great killing ability. A 140gr 6.5x55 will match or exceed a 180gr .30-06 w/ 1/2 the felt recoil.
It can be loaded from 85gr to 160gr. I find that 100...140gr fits the bill for everything from woodchucks to Elk.

I also have iron sight on most of my hunters, I require it also.

You also may want to think about an old Swedish, FN, or Mauser hunter. You can find them chambered in 6.5x55, 8x57, .30-06. If you find one for under $400.00, grab it. I bought a Husqvarna 1600 a few years ago. Paid $325.00 for it. I just saw a few, the same rifle, $795.00. My Husqvarna 640 (built on a FN 1947 '98 receiver, 1 of 10,000 from 1947 to 1962) in 8x57, that I paid $275.00 w/ the original short side rail scope mount sells for $895.00 without the mount.
If you want a true Military gun/caliber, take a hard look at the K31 Swiss. The 7.5x55 pre-dates the .308/ 7.62x51 by 60 years and is almost its equal. I put a St. Marie side mount on one of mine and sold it a year later as the scope gave no advantage up to 300 yards. You can still find K31's for under $300.00.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:13 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Remington 700. Has it all in the caliber you want. Mine is a 243 and shoots .385 MOA for me, a 62 year old half blind old man. It's pretty,accurate, affordable and well proven in all respects including safety.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mauser k98 8x57. Start with that and build what you want/need.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #10

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Mauser k98 8x57. Start with that and build what you want/need.

The problem w/ using a K98, is they cost more than most new rifles that are available.
I agree w/ 8x57. I would recommend a Czech VZ24, Yugo 24/47 as a cheaper alternative. Both are exceptional shooters also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.