Bolt action or non bolt action.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Bolt action or non bolt action.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bolt action or non bolt action.

Whats a better long range shooter, a bolt action or a non bolt action? whats the + and - to them both?

Are bolt action rifles alot? I want to get a 10/22 for my first ever gun but i really like bolt action rifles.

What i want a gun for is shooting ranges and targets, not a hunter or plan on ever hunting. for a first gun and a long range shooter should i stick with a 10/22 or should i look for a bolt action?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, you have a lot of questions and none of them tie together I am afraid.

The 10/22 is an EXCELLENT rifle and I do believe that everyone should have one. They are fun, cheap to feed and you can get a ton of practice out of one without much upkeep.

However -

Anytime you are talking about "long range" the boltgun will always be a superior platform to a semi automatic platform if both weapons are equal in level of construction.

Furthering the trend, a magazine fed boltgun is not as accurate as a single shot, due to a lot of factors.

If you want proof of this, take a look at ANY benchrest shooter's organization. You will see a ton of custom built, single shot action, custom barrel and stock rifles.

Please feel free to ask further questions as your initial post is kind of across the board.

JD

Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #3

I ask alot of questions, I'm so amazed by what guns can do so when i got another question i asked cause i want to learn everything i can.

Is there any good beginner bolt action rifles for long range shooting? or would i be best off going with the 10/22 getting practice then moving to a more powerful rifle for long range shooting?

Going with a good rifle for long range or going with a 10/22 for practice then moving on, whats a good rifle to start with for long range shooting?

sorry for posting threads all around, ill stop on that and thanks for being awesome and helping me out on every question i have had and being awesome about it. really appreciated!

Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9395 Times on 4049 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

You are going to have to define some terms. Let's start with "long range". The .22 LR cartridge has adequate accuracy to about 100 yards. Beyond that, it drops like a rock. To some folks, "long range" shooting is measured in zip codes. If you are looking for 300-600 yards, a 10-22 ain't gonna cut the mustard.

In general, the bolt gun will be more accurate than an autoloader. There are exceptions. For prices, go visit some of the gun shops, bass pro shops, or visit auctionarms.com, and search for COMPLETED AUCTIONS last 90 days. Look at the ones with bids, not the pipedreamers.

Another term to define, as we have discussed- what is accuracy to you? Being able to hit a Coke can at 50 yards- or put 5 bullets in one hole at 100- or a 1 inch shot group at 300 yards?

Just a suggestion- get yourself a good, used Marlin bolt action .22 rifle, like the Model 81 (there are MANY others) add a decent 3-9x40 scope- start working on your 50 yard marksmanship. You can probably swing the rifle and scope for about $200. Once you have that down, THEN start exploring other rifles and optics. One aspect of the bolt gun- you will spend a bit more time working on your aim than you will spend reloading the rapid fire autoloader.

PS- lighten up on the caffeine. :}

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 10-07-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

In my opinion, there is NO "beginner" long range rifle. Long Range shooting is HANDS DOWN the hardest thing I have ever done.

If you are serious about learning LONG RANGE shooting, I would recommend the following:

Buy a good, to very good, BOLT ACTION .22LR rifle.

Look at each round you put into it at $0.50 per round, even though you paid a ton less.

Shoot at 50/100/150 yards and work on getting your groups of 3 or 5 rounds as SMALL as you can possibly achieve.

When the VERY FIRST group you shoot at 50 yards, is LARGER than your BEST group at 150 yards: Smile , buy yourself a nice steak and think about UPGRADING to a centerfire rifle as you have achieved the understanding of the BASICS of "long range" shooting.

JD

Old 10-07-2010, 05:01 AM   #6

Liked 357 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If you are serious about learning LONG RANGE shooting, I would recommend the following:

Buy a good, to very good, BOLT ACTION .22LR rifle.

JD
I agree wholeheartedly with both of these gentleman's advice.

A good bolt action .22LR rifle will give you all the feedback you need to learn real rifle markmanship. If you can shoot a .22 well at 50 - 100 yards, you won't have any problem at all transitioning to a center fire rifle down the road.

And don't think they are just for "kids". Old men get pretty serious about their .22's sometimes.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 AM   #7

haha lay off the caffeine good tip. Thanks for the tip for long range shooting, this will be the last thread i make asking a question cause im kinda blowing the forum up and i do apologise for that. always very appreciated on being so cool with the help! my 21st bday is oct 23 and i will be purchasing my first rifle and will be going to the range to see how i do! Ill post up when i get done.

Ok one last question lol. can someone name me a couple good/great .22 bolt actions for the 50/100/150 ranges.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:38 AM   #8

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Google is your friend.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:09 AM   #9

So i went and looked at marlins, i found this Marlin 17HMR BOLT HB 4&7 RD THS i like how the stock has the thumb hole and its something i could afford and be happy spending that much. is it a good choice, anyone had any experiance with it?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #10

Liked 741 Times on 516 Posts
Likes Given: 773

If you are referring to the 917V, then yes I have one. Very accurate rifle, but you will pay between $9.00 and 13.00 per 50 rounds of ammo. You can buy a brick of decent .22lr ammo for $28.00 per 500. A .22 is very cheap to feed.
This would be the place to start! Marlin 925 22LR BOLT $186.00 SHIPS FREE
A simple Bushnell 4x32 or 3-9x32 rimfire scope would be perfect, both are under $45.00

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.