bolt action dry firing?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > bolt action dry firing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default bolt action dry firing?

No problem with doing this, yeah?

Reason I'm asking is I'm having a bit of trouble cycling the bolt during rapid fire (5 rnds 30 secs, all 3P) competitions. Since I only get to shoot during said matches (no other shooting allowed) I'm not getting any chance to just practice working the bolt at speed, without the adrenalin associated with competing. Last Sunday had a nasty double-feed during the rapids, which led to me totally stuffing up the 4 sec snap targets...got ZILCH on that score!

Yeah, I KNOW it's 'operator-error', heh

Was thinking of asking if I could use one of the club rifles to dry fire up at the clubhouse, purely to get the feel of sliding the bolt home cleanly. It's going to be a very long time before I can get my own rifle, so the only thing I can think of to get it down better in the meantime is this.

Necessary to use snap caps for this? Or is just dry firing on an empty chamber OK? I don't want to f*ck up the club equipment...

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-03-2010, 12:48 AM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's not your rifle, use the snap caps.

Plus they give you more realism with the brass flying past your head!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-03-2010, 12:52 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Here's the deal brother, and I will try to paint a picture for you.

Inside the bolt, the firing pin has a shoulder on it. It has a long, tapered needle, but it has a shoulder and that shoulder hits the inside of the bolt and keeps the firing pin from being sent all the way into the chamber.

I am going to add a picture to help understand.

So, when the firing pin is under tension from the firing pin spring, it is released with force/energy. That force/energy has to be STOPPED somewhere and that happens when the firing pin shoulder comes in violent contact with the back of the boltface.

As such, it would be better for the weapon if you had the Dry-Fire / Snap Cap to help ease that impact. The firing pin needle comes in contact with with a soft, gel like substance that helps simulate the primer to ease the impact of the firing pin on the back of the bolt face.

You don't "have to" use Snap Caps, and it certainly isn't going to damage the firing pin on 10 or 20 dry fires, but any rifle that leaves our shop as a "custom build" comes with (3) Snap Caps for dry fire practice.

YMMV.

JD

roflbot-oppb.jpg  

Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Hmm, that's just what I figured...since it isn't mine it's sort of an ettiquette/respect thing. Value your opinion, cane.

Never thought about the flying-brass-realism aspect. OK now I'm definately sold on the idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Here's the deal brother, and I will try to paint a picture for you.

Inside the bolt, the firing pin has a shoulder on it. It has a long, tapered needle, but it has a shoulder and that shoulder hits the inside of the bolt and keeps the firing pin from being sent all the way into the chamber.

I am going to add a picture to help understand.

So, when the firing pin is under tension from the firing pin spring, it is released with force/energy. That force/energy has to be STOPPED somewhere and that happens when the firing pin shoulder comes in violent contact with the back of the boltface.

As such, it would be better for the weapon if you had the Dry-Fire / Snap Cap to help ease that impact. The firing pin needle comes in contact with with a soft, gel like substance that helps simulate the primer to ease the impact of the firing pin on the back of the bolt face.

You don't "have to" use Snap Caps, and it certainly isn't going to damage the firing pin on 10 or 20 dry fires, but any rifle that leaves our shop as a "custom build" comes with (3) Snap Caps for dry fire practice.

YMMV.

JD

Fantastic detail, JD. I really appreciate you going to that trouble explaining. Decision made

Many thanks guys.

Quote:
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

+1

snap caps are superb training aids. i use em to cure flinching and detect trigger control problems. slip a snap cap in the mag and its very noticibale if you or someone your training with is having a trigger pull issue. great for stoppage drills etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Can see how trigger pull problems would become immediately apparent, Jon. Good point there...

I managed to pick up two .223 caps today, 20 bucks outlay which isn't too bad considering our insane pricing down here.

Now all I got to do is convince the club Captain to let me have a go with a bit of bolt-practice; the club guns are normally locked away TIGHT after comps

Quote: