Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > BOB rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 208 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 289

And not to beat a dead horse here about this .22 ordeal, but I will anyway

I believe it was in Isreal the PDs there and the military decided they needed something that they could use for riots to "control" unruly crowds. They actually picked Ruger 10/22s with bull barrels from the factory. They put some good glass on them and was told that they were to shoot people below the knees with these "undeadly" little .22 rifles. They did and what they found was that these "tiny" "Undeadly" little rounds were killing more people than what they were wounding. They had to pull all the 10/22s from their invetory because of how deadly these things were, even just shooting people in the legs.

I also read a report a while back that was about some guys shooting frozen turkeys from 500 yards with bolt action .22 LRs. What they found was even though the turkey were frozen and they had wrapped them in denim and rain jackets they were still getting massive amounts of damage on the turkeys at that distance.

i stick by my guns that a .22 LR is not the first choice in my BOB, however if that is all I had at the time I would use it with no hesitation. Any firearm that goes boom can kill. A .22 short will kill with the right shot placement.

And USMCprofessional, thanks for your service to our country...

Old 08-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
oh sweet jesus hell no. if i had the choice id much much MUCH rather take a .22 than a f*cking .308. .22 would feel like i snapped a tendon with a hot poker. after a .308, probably not much because of the fact im blacked out from shock and probably dead.

Here is what I am saying...A .22 LR to the head is going to kill you just as dead as a 308 to the head...and you are one bad man to get shot with a .22 and feel like u snapped a tendon I need to get on your workout plan brother
shhhh-damn, again i have to playfully disagree friend. if a .22 did infact penitrate the skull, not saying it cant, it would leave a distinct hole that has the possibility to hit nothing important and thats where you hear stories of the guy whos personality changed. a .308 turns your head into a bowl, or ashtray, your preference. im sorry its a pet peeve, im annoying i know.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post

And USMCprofessional, thanks for your service to our country...
oh come on dont give me that crap like everyone else, i use my time to tell stories not brag about service and get the sympathy vote.

now my arguement is against the .22, i guess you would say regular round. handgun style. when it comes to rifle thats a completely different story. when it comes to those pointy tips ive seen them vaporize varments, so i dont know what it would do to a person, but i wouldnt risk it anyway. but it does look hella cool

i would still pick a fight with a dude when he would recommend a full metal jacket .45 acp round over a hydroshock. "a FMJ has more penitration though" -yea youre a dumbass if you think thats what stopping power means...and thats how i got kicked out of a gander mountian.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Last edited by usmcprofessional; 08-07-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #34

Not annoying at all sir...the beautiful thing about firearms is there are so many opinions on everything.

And I will agree with you on something...IF there was a weapon system out there in 7.62X39 that was as pretty as my AR and could shoot as good as my AR and the mags were as cheap as my AR mags, I would own one (as long as it didn't cost me an arm and a leg). The 7.62 round is a much better man stopper than what the 5.56 is with FMJ ammo. I just think that if the military would use HP or some kind of "tipped" ammo, there would be a much different outlook on what the 5.56 cartridge is capable of.

Have you ever seen any tests on ballistics gel on the 5.56 compared to the 7.62? It is actually really interesting to see how the bullet preforms once it hits something. Both bullets do about the same thing, but the 7.62 moves the gel a lot more upon impact. Penetration is about equal as well. Just something to see if you haven't yet

Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #35

[QUOTE=usmcprofessional;557608]oh come on dont give me that crap like everyone else, i use my time to tell stories not brag about service and get the sympathy vote.

No sympathy at all...and just saying thanks. Everyone that has served deserves to hear it every now and then. Its the least we can do.

i would still pick a fight with a dude when he would recommend a full metal jacket .45 acp round over a hydroshock. "a FMJ has more penitration though" -yea youre a dumbass if you think thats what stopping power means...and thats how i got kicked out of a gander mountian. {----- LOVE IT

Yeah, FMJs are not for defending your home or your life. Penetration is good until it kills your dog a sleep in the yard outside of your house...

Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #36

Liked 2394 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1886

I still think it's a serious personal choice. Many are going to advocate ARs and

AKs, perhaps they want to treat a bug-out like it's an invasion, or they're

going to be facing targets of opportunity in the field.

Personally, if I bug-out, it's going to be to make some distance.

I'll be making time, not war. If pushed into a corner, I'll want to

be able to rely on an all purpose guide or scout style rifle.

Some sturdy, reliable,accurate,carbine. Fortunately there are

many viable choices, of which I own a couple.

But thousands of rounds of ammo, and anything hard to carry,

(like a massively heavy pack) will be out.