BOB rifle - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > BOB rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 11:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I only own 9mm's for fun, to get more range/trigger time, and it's cheaper to shoot. I like hi capacity firearms, but only in 9mm and .40. I find that the .40 is a nice compromise caliber, because you can still get pretty decent capacity like the 9mm, but more punch in it like .45 ACP so it's in the middle in my opinion. So I would probably take the Ruger SR40c with me as back up, because it's got a thinner grip than the Glock and it's .40 caliber.

With the AK I wouldn't take anything but it. It's like my 1911; it punches with a big fist, well built, reliable, sexy (in my opinion), and one of the greatest firearms the Russians have ever produce (and one of the greatest rifles in the world in my opinion).

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #22

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
Agreed. I personally would have my AK, 1911, and Mossberg 500 with me, because I love each of the rounds and I love each of the firearms. I'm 6'4 and a .22 would just feel like a sting from a bee or something like that.
So your BOB has a rifle and a shotgun? Do you keep the hernia medication

down the center of the first or second TP roll?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm in the process of modifying my BOB, because I suffered a back injury around a year ago so I can't carry or handle as much weight as I use to be able to. I'm going to keep my AK and 1911 in it, but I'm considering swapping out my Mossberg for maybe a Smith and Wesson Governor or my Winchester 94 carbine.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
So your BOB has a rifle and a shotgun? Do you keep the hernia medication

down the center of the first or second TP roll?
why wouldnt your BOB have a rifle and a shotgun? i dont know how everyone stacks there BOB. but most of my ammo will be carried on my person in my tack vest. but then again my BOB isnt for natural disasters, thats what a disaster bag is for, my BOB is for long hauls out after the power and or water is all gone.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #25

Liked 210 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 293

I have to say...I'm 6'6" and 225 lbs and I think a .22 would do more than piss me off I dont care how big you are or how much you can bench press, with the tight shot placement a .22 will kill you just as dead as a 308 or 375 H&H

With that said, I think for a BOB or a **** rifle something a bit bigger than a .22 is needed, although a .22 handgun would be good to have on your hip. Just my opinion though

Old 08-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Kid,

Regarding your first post here on the 223 Lever Topic. And the advise by the other guys on something different that the lever gun. They are correct.
Something that has not been addressed is that if the weapon has a true 223 Remington Chamber you should not be shooting 5.56 NATO Ammunition in it. The 223 Remington will shoot fine in a rifle chambered for 5.56 NATO as some new bolt guns chambered for the 5.56 but they still have a designation of 223 Remington so as not to confuse the novice. But you advised, your focus for the weapon was also inexpensive ammunition, if there is such a thing these days? But anyway, the majority of the if we want to use the term inexpensive ammunition, will be bulk 5.56 NATO Ammunition found at gun shows and etc.
First of all the 5.56 ammunition has higher pressures than the standard 223 Round. As well as in recent years the weapons shooting the 5.56 has had the throat in the chamber lengthened by military specification to handle the longer bullets therefore some changes have been made to the case dimension in some cases. Being how the 223 Remington Chamber is shorter in the true 223 remington chambered weapon this can cause some serious pressure problems in addition to the fact that the military spec ammunition has higher chamber pressures to begin with. And the possibility of the 5.56 round if shot in the true 223 chamber to have the case crimp in more on the cannular of the bullet. This has caused the chamber pressures to jump an additional 20,000 PSI above the specified limit and certainly in the severe hazard range!
So if it does have a true 223 Remington Chamber in the weapon only buy 223 Ammunition.
As stated previously the 223 will shoot ok in the 5.56 NATO Chamber but 5.56 NATO Ammunition should not be fired in a "true" 223 Remington Chambered weapon.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
I have to say...I'm 6'6" and 225 lbs and I think a .22 would do more than piss me off I dont care how big you are or how much you can bench press, with the tight shot placement a .22 will kill you just as dead as a 308 or 375 H&H

With that said, I think for a BOB or a **** rifle something a bit bigger than a .22 is needed, although a .22 handgun would be good to have on your hip. Just my opinion though
then you must be a surgeon, because a .22 goes in clean and comes out the back clean. it would be like killing someone with playing darts...who is moving...inbetween cover...and shooting back. .22 is lots of fun and is a good calibur, just not for killing. you can go ahead and waste an entire clip on someone moving around in the dark shooting back. the rest of us carry a bigger calibur for a reason, we only have to hit the target once.

Quote:
.22 will kill you just as dead as a 308 or 375 H&H
oh sweet jesus hell no. if i had the choice id much much MUCH rather take a .22 than a f*cking .308. .22 would feel like i snapped a tendon with a hot poker. after a .308, probably not much because of the fact im blacked out from shock and probably dead.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Last edited by usmcprofessional; 08-07-2011 at 02:33 PM.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
then you must be a surgeon, because a .22 goes in clean and comes out the back clean. it would be like killing someone with playing darts...who is moving...inbetween cover...and shooting back. .22 is lots of fun and is a good calibur, just not for killing. you can go ahead and waste an entire clip on someone moving around in the dark shooting back. the rest of us carry a bigger calibur for a reason, we only have to hit the target once.

A .22 has killed many and many and many people over the years. I have never heard of a .22 going in clean and coming out clean. I have shot rabbits in the head w a .22 rifle and the bullet not exit the other side. A .22 is a deadly weapon period. Would it be my first choice in defending my family or myself? Hell no! Would I rather use a .22 over a rock and a strap of leather? Hell yes!

I have never shot anyone with anything, let alone a .22, but I have never heard of a .22 going in clean and coming out clean. I have on more than one occassion heard of people being shot with a .22 and the bullet staying in the body and bouncing around a bit as it comes in contact with bones.

With that said, again, I think that anyone with the funds should own something larger than a .22 LR. My personal preferance is a AR platform rifle with something other than FMJs. I have been doing a lot of reading and talked with a few people w first hand knowledge of the 5.56 round in combat. With FMJ ammo it is not the best man stopper. however, with HP ammo it has proven itself as a man stopper on more than one occassion. Shot placement is crucial with a 5.56 rifle no matter the type of ammo. I have read it many times on this forum, I have never quoted it, but I will now...We are not tied down like teh vast majority of the military in what kind of ammo we use. If the military would allow HP ammo i think that the results would be a lot different.

Here is my thinking...if I can take my AR out with a hollow point or ballistic tip round in the hills of Kentucky and cleanly take these big Kentucky deer, then it is plenty big enough for me to take out BGs. That is my thinking, it may sound dumb to some, but that is the beauty of MY opinion

I still would hate to be shot with a .22

Old 08-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #29

oh sweet jesus hell no. if i had the choice id much much MUCH rather take a .22 than a f*cking .308. .22 would feel like i snapped a tendon with a hot poker. after a .308, probably not much because of the fact im blacked out from shock and probably dead.

Here is what I am saying...A .22 LR to the head is going to kill you just as dead as a 308 to the head...and you are one bad man to get shot with a .22 and feel like u snapped a tendon I need to get on your workout plan brother

Old 08-07-2011, 02:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyChadwell View Post
A .22 has killed many and many and many people over the years. I have never heard of a .22 going in clean and coming out clean. I have shot rabbits in the head w a .22 rifle and the bullet not exit the other side. A .22 is a deadly weapon period. Would it be my first choice in defending my family or myself? Hell no! Would I rather use a .22 over a rock and a strap of leather? Hell yes!

I have never shot anyone with anything, let alone a .22, but I have never heard of a .22 going in clean and coming out clean. I have on more than one occassion heard of people being shot with a .22 and the bullet staying in the body and bouncing around a bit as it comes in contact with bones.

With that said, again, I think that anyone with the funds should own something larger than a .22 LR. My personal preferance is a AR platform rifle with something other than FMJs. I have been doing a lot of reading and talked with a few people w first hand knowledge of the 5.56 round in combat. With FMJ ammo it is not the best man stopper. however, with HP ammo it has proven itself as a man stopper on more than one occassion. Shot placement is crucial with a 5.56 rifle no matter the type of ammo. I have read it many times on this forum, I have never quoted it, but I will now...We are not tied down like teh vast majority of the military in what kind of ammo we use. If the military would allow HP ammo i think that the results would be a lot different.

Here is my thinking...if I can take my AR out with a hollow point or ballistic tip round in the hills of Kentucky and cleanly take these big Kentucky deer, then it is plenty big enough for me to take out BGs. That is my thinking, it may sound dumb to some, but that is the beauty of MY opinion

I still would hate to be shot with a .22
and i can tell you in my experience, it comes out clean. but that is unless it hits something hard then it shatters like glass where maybe it can be deadly. as for the bullet bounce theory, its a two sided coin. one side, it rarely happens. its not like you hit with a .223 or 5.56 and its a promised occurance. the other side is my corpsman telling the story of him performing first aid on an insurgent who got hit in the forehead, bounced off the skull, traveled under the skalp, and came out the back. and thats why ill stick to my unruly 7.62x39.

im not tryin to ruffle feathers, when it comes to defense-against a determined attacker- im a stickler for the right weapon and i done got the thread off topic cause im an idiot. i have the same arguement with guys who think the 9mm is a perfect sidearm weapon and birdshot in a 12ga is fine for home defense.

i still would hate to be shot with anything.