blued vs stainless barrel - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

blued vs stainless barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
What happens when you move that shinny barrel around to reposition it? That's some very noticeable movement.......to a deer or human.

Jack

well there are 2 dead on our mile of road that says they didn't notice the VEHICLE coming at them....

Old 10-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #12

Quote:
What happens when you move that shinny barrel around to reposition it? That's some very noticeable movement.......to a deer or human.

Jack
Well it doesn't matter if its a "shinny" barrel or subdued barrel the deer is more concerned with movement and not how "shinny" something is. To say all deer will spook because of some "shinny" object is a gross over-generalization.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #13

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
well there are 2 dead on our mile of road that says they didn't notice the VEHICLE coming at them....
They were running away from someone's damn shinny barrel movement, and ran plumb into them cars during their escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
Well it doesn't matter if its a "shinny" barrel or subdued barrel the deer is more concerned with movement and not how "shinny" something is. To say all deer will spook because of some "shinny" object is a gross over-generalization.
Indeed, not all deer, just them 22-24 inch rack and 10 point trophy bucks that are very wery of all movement, shinny or not.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #14

Quote:
They were running away from someone's damn shinny barrel movement, and ran plumb into them cars during their escape.

Indeed, not all deer, just them 22-24 inch rack and 10 point trophy bucks that are very wery of all movement, shinny or not.

Jack
Maybe you could help me out with this problem. No matter how long I boil those antlers they never seem to soften up enough to eat. Any suggestions? Should I soak them overnight first like beans?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Maybe you could help me out with this problem. No matter how long I boil those antlers they never seem to soften up enough to eat. Any suggestions? Should I soak them overnight first like beans?
Hell yes!!!...............

Nice try, never judge a book by its cover.

Chow down!! http://denniswalrod.codebakery.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=13

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
who's to say you can't have a trophy on the wall along with the meat? if you are talking about just eating them, then why wouldn't you go for the big ones?

Old 10-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
who's to say you can't have a trophy on the wall along with the meat? if you are talking about just eating them, then why wouldn't you go for the big ones?
Because the big ones are nasty compared to the succulent little veal like bambi's, that's why.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont have any trophies yet. I will though. soon.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:40 PM   #19

In my opinion I don't think the finish really matters to most game animals. If you look back at older guns and gun catalogs, the only finish available was a relatively high gloss blue - in fact a major selling point on the premium guns was the quality/depth/shine of their bluing jobs (revolver or rifle). I don't think there has been a noticeable increase in kill ratio with advent of matte/blasted finishes.

Like most fishing lures, most of these 'features' have designed more to influence how many hunters get 'bagged' by enticing their purchase than any impact on hunting success.

The newer matte finishes are more user friendly / require less maintenance simply since finger prints don't show up as much. From an operational perspective, SS is more resitant to throat erosion/degredation with the high intensity magnums, so users may see extended barrel life vs the standard steel. However, I doubt anyone not shooting competitively will shoot enough for this to be a factor.

Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i get deer tearing up my back yard from time to time. a few weeks ago i went out back and there was a deer herd of about 15 animals tearing up my back lot. waving a big shiny 3 iron and yelling didnt faze em a bit. took a bb gun and shooting one in the butt with it to get em to move off...