blued vs stainless barrel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > blued vs stainless barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default blued vs stainless barrel

talked to my dad the other day about this. he said that if you use a rifle with a blued barrel, and you are on top of one hill and a deer or something is on another hill. if sunlight hits the barrel right it will reflect sunlight and the stainless wont do that.

anyone have any input on this?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Uh bro, S/S is SHINY. It reflects light better than blued steel....

Deer aren't counter snipers bro. There is a good chance they would know you were there LONG before the sun was a factor...

JD

Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsmeShane View Post
talked to my dad the other day about this. he said that if you use a rifle with a blued barrel, and you are on top of one hill and a deer or something is on another hill. if sunlight hits the barrel right it will reflect sunlight and the stainless wont do that.

anyone have any input on this?
Son, with all due respect to your father, stainless will reflect more and the blue will reflect, also. That's why the make burlap and camo wrap for this exact reason.

And to keep your rifle warm during cold days, of course.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I dont know, hes been hunting for years. but that doesnt really make sense to me. I would have thought the blued barrel wouldn't reflect anything and the stainless would reflect a lot.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

Uh bro, S/S is SHINY. It reflects light better than blued steel....

Deer aren't counter snipers bro. There is a good chance they would know you were there LONG before the sun was a factor...

JD
I dont know though, the gun that im looking at the barrel isnt really shiny at all. it just looks like bare unpolished metal. it isnt the least bit glossy. but i was also looking at another gun with the blued barrel, and it was glossy. so i can somewhat see it reflecting light. im not really concerned with it but im just curious. im just comparing a couple of guns.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

It all depends.

IF you have an older highly polished barrel that is blued they can be shiny and could very well gleam in direct sunlight. If you have a vapor blasted or bead blasted SS barrel it will have a very dull finish. Most brushed stainless will in fact shine more in direct sunlight over a brushed blued barrel.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #7

Well, in true Mythbusters style conduct your own test on this befuddling phenomenon and get back to us with the results. Why would a deer care about a reflection on the next hillside anyways?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
Well, in true Mythbusters style conduct your own test on this befuddling phenomenon and get back to us with the results. Why would a deer care about a reflection on the next hillside anyways?
Just how many pine trees do you see that glint in sunlight? I have never seen any.....

I am not talking about snow either. I am talking about stuff that is out of the ordinary that is what animals including deer see and key in on if it is not normal they throw up the tail and beat feet to the next county over.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Just how many pine trees do you see that glint in sunlight? I have never seen any.....

I am not talking about snow either. I am talking about stuff that is out of the ordinary that is what animals including deer see and key in on if it is not normal they throw up the tail and beat feet to the next county over.
It's much ado about nothing. Deer key in on movement and smell not how shiny a barrel is or the type of camo one wears. Deer could care less if you have a stainless or blued or pink with purple polka dotted barrel with a disco ball hanging off the end.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
It's much ado about nothing. Deer key in on movement and smell not how shiny a barrel is or the type of camo one wears. Deer could care less if you have a stainless or blued or pink with purple polka dotted barrel with a disco ball hanging off the end.

What happens when you move that shinny barrel around to reposition it? That's some very noticeable movement.......to a deer or human.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”