Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   blued vs stainless barrel (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/blued-vs-stainless-barrel-19253/)

ItsmeShane 10-18-2009 07:15 PM

blued vs stainless barrel

talked to my dad the other day about this. he said that if you use a rifle with a blued barrel, and you are on top of one hill and a deer or something is on another hill. if sunlight hits the barrel right it will reflect sunlight and the stainless wont do that.

anyone have any input on this?

Dillinger 10-18-2009 07:21 PM

:confused::confused:

Uh bro, S/S is SHINY. It reflects light better than blued steel....

Deer aren't counter snipers bro. There is a good chance they would know you were there LONG before the sun was a factor...

JD

IGETEVEN 10-18-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ItsmeShane (Post 175332)
talked to my dad the other day about this. he said that if you use a rifle with a blued barrel, and you are on top of one hill and a deer or something is on another hill. if sunlight hits the barrel right it will reflect sunlight and the stainless wont do that.

anyone have any input on this?

Son, with all due respect to your father, stainless will reflect more and the blue will reflect, also. That's why the make burlap and camo wrap for this exact reason.

And to keep your rifle warm during cold days, of course. :)

Jack

ItsmeShane 10-18-2009 07:33 PM

I dont know, hes been hunting for years. but that doesnt really make sense to me. I would have thought the blued barrel wouldn't reflect anything and the stainless would reflect a lot.

ItsmeShane 10-18-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 175333)
:confused::confused:

Uh bro, S/S is SHINY. It reflects light better than blued steel....

Deer aren't counter snipers bro. There is a good chance they would know you were there LONG before the sun was a factor...

JD

I dont know though, the gun that im looking at the barrel isnt really shiny at all. it just looks like bare unpolished metal. it isnt the least bit glossy. but i was also looking at another gun with the blued barrel, and it was glossy. so i can somewhat see it reflecting light. im not really concerned with it but im just curious. im just comparing a couple of guns.

cpttango30 10-18-2009 08:34 PM

It all depends.

IF you have an older highly polished barrel that is blued they can be shiny and could very well gleam in direct sunlight. If you have a vapor blasted or bead blasted SS barrel it will have a very dull finish. Most brushed stainless will in fact shine more in direct sunlight over a brushed blued barrel.

Dcomf 10-19-2009 03:29 PM

Well, in true Mythbusters style conduct your own test on this befuddling phenomenon and get back to us with the results. Why would a deer care about a reflection on the next hillside anyways?

cpttango30 10-19-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcomf (Post 175574)
Well, in true Mythbusters style conduct your own test on this befuddling phenomenon and get back to us with the results. Why would a deer care about a reflection on the next hillside anyways?

Just how many pine trees do you see that glint in sunlight? I have never seen any.....

I am not talking about snow either. I am talking about stuff that is out of the ordinary that is what animals including deer see and key in on if it is not normal they throw up the tail and beat feet to the next county over.

Dcomf 10-19-2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 175609)
Just how many pine trees do you see that glint in sunlight? I have never seen any.....

I am not talking about snow either. I am talking about stuff that is out of the ordinary that is what animals including deer see and key in on if it is not normal they throw up the tail and beat feet to the next county over.

It's much ado about nothing. Deer key in on movement and smell not how shiny a barrel is or the type of camo one wears. Deer could care less if you have a stainless or blued or pink with purple polka dotted barrel with a disco ball hanging off the end.

IGETEVEN 10-19-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcomf (Post 175619)
It's much ado about nothing. Deer key in on movement and smell not how shiny a barrel is or the type of camo one wears. Deer could care less if you have a stainless or blued or pink with purple polka dotted barrel with a disco ball hanging off the end.

What happens when you move that shinny barrel around to reposition it? That's some very noticeable movement.......to a deer or human. ;)

Jack