Blued vs. Stainless... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Blued vs. Stainless...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, pretty much....it doesnt really matter, at all, and its just personal preference.

I'll probably go stainless, as one of you mentioned, go with what you take pride in, and thats what my lady said as well. Get the one that I will be most proud to own and shoot, haha. I guess she makes sense.

Now, I just need to get over my excitement and get back down to the store on thursday to buy it. And then sit and think "why the hell did I just buy a .45-70"

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6823 Times on 3626 Posts
Likes Given: 513

stainless steel is not a rust proof covering nor is it "stainless" thats a marketing term. if you want water resistance and durablility your gonna have to get some sort of coating on that metal. parkerizing is a great choice its rugged and durable as is duracoat. plain old hotbluing can make a gorgeous finish with better protection than stainless.

im not a huge fan of stainless steel weapons as once they start to tarnish which WILL happen unless they are safe queens its almost impossible to make them look good again.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #13

Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don' get it, haha. Some people say stainless is way more durable and offers more corrision protection, and some people say bluing offers more protection.

Weird. Straight up contrasting statements.

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Old 02-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

It all depends on the grade of stainless steel used. Really good stainless is nearly corrosion free, forever. This may not be the most structurally sound steel though. Gun makers have to strike a balance between cost of material, ease of machining, structural integrity and corrosion resistance. The latter is often the consideration that gets shorted in deference to the other three.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use stainless because im kinda tough on guns. The last time I went hog hunting was the first week in january, been planning it for several weeks, and we went. it was raining, water in the ditches and everything. It doesnt make it weather proof, but it helps out.