Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Blued vs. Stainless...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 73 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Blued vs. Stainless...

Alrighty, I finally located my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun that I'll be purchasing at the end of the week or beginning of next week. Great prices too.

However, they had both a blued version and a stainless version. As I'm sure you're aware, there is quite a price difference here, close to 100 bucks (could be 80, I was just looking at the stainless rifle).

So, is it worth it? Stainless is way easier to care for, and in my opinion is a lot more pretty....but is it worth 80 or 100 bucks?

A friend of mine said "it doesnt matter too much for a 'sometimes' gun"

What are your opinions?

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

I have a blued Guide Gun. No complaints. Most stainless steels are inferior to good carbon steel for making guns. As the dimensions are identical, the blued gun should be stronger.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

While I must confess that stainless is SOMETIMES preferable, the times the average hunter and gun owners actually needs their properties is very seldom. I have always took pride in caring for my posessions, everything from shovels to screwdrivers to guns. I always likened a walnut and blued steel gun to having a cute sexy girlfriend. While others may be more robust and maintianence free, it sure is fun to pamper, take pride in, and show off the cute sexy ones.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #4

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I would never buy an ugly gun to save $80!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Cane I agree with just about everything you say but a blued lever gun is not bad looking nor is it ugly unless it is one of them European knock off crap guns.

Me I would go with Blued. Just because I love a nice deep blue job.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:04 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
While I must confess that stainless is SOMETIMES preferable, the times the average hunter and gun owners actually needs their properties is very seldom. I have always took pride in caring for my posessions, everything from shovels to screwdrivers to guns. I always likened a walnut and blued steel gun to having a cute sexy girlfriend. While others may be more robust and maintianence free, it sure is fun to pamper, take pride in, and show off the cute sexy ones.
some of us use the stainless properties quite a bit in our hunting.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 02-03-2010, 12:17 AM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Wouldn't stainless matter more if you're shooting in adverse weather? Only asking cos all our club guns are stainless Tikkas...as we shoot no matter what, rain hail or shine.

Apart from the aesthetics...and yeah it does look pretty nice

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hunt hogs in the swamp usually at night, and when we get out of there and back to the truck by the time I get home its usually 1 or 2 sometimes later and dont feel like cleaning the gun. until morning. so I use stainless.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #9

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Marneaus View Post
Alrighty, I finally located my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun that I'll be purchasing at the end of the week or beginning of next week. Great prices too.

However, they had both a blued version and a stainless version. As I'm sure you're aware, there is quite a price difference here, close to 100 bucks (could be 80, I was just looking at the stainless rifle).

So, is it worth it? Stainless is way easier to care for, and in my opinion is a lot more pretty....but is it worth 80 or 100 bucks?

A friend of mine said "it doesnt matter too much for a 'sometimes' gun"

What are your opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Cane I agree with just about everything you say but a blued lever gun is not bad looking nor is it ugly unless it is one of them European knock off crap guns.

Me I would go with Blued. Just because I love a nice deep blue job.
Tango, FIRST my comment was not that a blued lever gun is ugly. I was keying off Doc's own comment that; ..and in my opinion is a lot more pretty.. he liked the SS.

And I think I speak for everyone here that there is not anything better than a good "blue job".

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #10

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

SS still rusts. You need to care for both. When a Stainless barrel rusts which is usually below the stock, it is a bitch to stop. Blue. I have blued rifles over 100 years old. They make your heart skip a beat.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.