Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Blr cleaning quesion.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Blr cleaning quesion.

Hey guys. Do any of you have a browning Blr and if so, how do you go about cleaning the action. I clean the bore with a bore snake and clean all of the action and chamber I can get to. With the complexity of the action of these guns. I am worried about timing issues if I start separating the gears of the lever and bolt. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #2
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1727 Times on 958 Posts
Likes Given: 5270

Disclaimer: I don't have a BLR or experience with one.

If you are concerned or reluctant to disassemble, then flushing it might be an option for you.
Remember that many fluids can penetrate, saturate and ruin wood.

You may be able to hold the rifle to maximize draining, use clp spray and flush out some crud.

I have a number of tools, jags, loops and several sizes of patches that I use.
These help when I am not in the mood for disassebling.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything astounding to post here, but there was some info on disassebly / detail stripping.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Well I've looked everywhere for info and all I keep getting is Browning highly recommends NOT to dis-assemble but to send it back to Browning because even master gunsmiths won't mess with them. Here's a link that might get you some info... after looking most the morning for this info I am really glad I have my Marlin 1894 it breaks down very easily
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=21891

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

Thank you, I had heard that but didn't know if there was any truth to it. I have an 1894 as well. The Blr is a great rifle. A lever gun with bolt gun accuracy makes this one of my favorites. The gun doesn't get too dirty since its purpose is killing whitetails for a couple of weeks a year. I may give the boys at browning a call after the season is over. Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default blr

I have a blr in long action first edition #327 ....30.06 other than using the bore snake ,give the chamber and reciver ,mag well a shot of rem-oil then wipe with a clean white soft cloth ...i use cloth baby diapers cut into strips .....do the same for the rack and pinion bolt and lever assy ..put a few dabs of gunslick grease on lever gog and bolt rack .....and your good to go. I love my blr it's scary accurate and beautiful to boot .

Old 10-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #6

That sounds like it should do it. Thanks for the advice. Mine is a 7mm-08. I don't know a whole lot about others. it is the non-takedown. I love the gun as well. I think it is genetic. My dad and grandpa both hunt with lever guns. I don't think there has been a smoother lever action made

Old 10-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8607 Times on 3731 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Always say when all else fails, read the directions.

In this case, the owner's manual. OTHER than taking apart the box magazine for cleaning, Browning does NOT suggest any disassembly of the BLR.

http://media.browning.com/pdf/om/blr_02_262_om_s.pdf

There is not a lot that cannot be cleaned with a Hoppes, rod and patches (or boresnake) spray gun cleaner, and a handful of Q tips.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

If the gun serves you well a trip to Browning every 5 or 6 years isn't a huge price to pay. I would give Browning a call to see what they recommend as a maintenance schedule or if the gun even needs maintenance.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #9

That's what I had in mind. I have a Feeling that I wont be getting rid of this gun so it will go on whatever browning recommends for a cleaning schedule. I am actually considering another in 223 to pop some critters around the house.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default blr fan

i'll never part with mine either . im a lefty so levers are what i prefer ..haven't owned a bolt gun. imo if the ammo cost wasn't an issue id go with the blr in 22-250 ....like I said mine is a first edition long action ,they have sweetened the pot with the lightning and the new take-down that still shoots 1 moa .My beautiful wife bought me my blr for my first colorado trip ... we got skunked ,long trip home to Texas with no meat that year but the next 3 seasons ive taken a 4x4 muley ,5x5 bull,5x4 bull ... it is by far the best rifle ive ever owned.

Last edited by powg; 10-13-2012 at 03:15 AM.