Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Blondie's Gun or an AR-15?

View Poll Results: Which One?
Cimarron 1851 Navy Man with no name 3 21.43%
Colt AR-15 Match Target 11 78.57%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Blondie's Gun or an AR-15?

First, I am sorry I don't know where to post this (Rifle, Revolver, etc); so, this may need to be moved.

I am getting a new gun but I am looking at vastly different weapons and can't choose between them. In the long run I will probably eventually own both but for now it is one or the other. I can't decide between a .38 SPL Cimarron Arms 1851 Navy Conversion (Man with no name):

Attachment 20866

or a Colt AR-15 Match Target Flattop with Detachable Carry Handle (I like this long barrel verison):

Attachment 20867

On one hand I have always wanted an AR-15, but I would love to own Blondie's gun.

So, what's the consensus?

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 11-26-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

You can pick up a RRA predator Pursuit Rifle for less money and get the same or better accuracy.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with Tango in that you should get the AR first, and I don't have an opinion on either the RRA or Colt, but there are lots of "match" quality guns out there for relatively inexpensive prices. Which gives me a topic for a completely different thread....

Old 10-27-2010, 01:08 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hands down, the AR! But, as mentioned, shop around!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #5

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Reality?

The evil black plastic assaultish rifle is way cool, but you'll get more actual use and fun from the revolver.

Frankly, I did the M16 thing for a while and the no-name cowboy is a far better fantasy.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #6

I guess it all depends on what you are going to use your newly acquired gun for. Something to hang on the wall or something to take to the range and shoot or for home defense? Everyone has their preference, but the main question is, what do you want the gun for?

Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 PM   #7

Easy, the AR reason is you will have a gun that you can do anything you want with and when it comes to feed it the darn thing isnt real particular as long as you clean her. The 1851 would be nice but even with todays metals you are going to be limited to what you stick in the chambers as its not designed foor modern pressures. Easy AR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were brothers then,We are brothers now, we will be brothers forever Currahee

Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7one View Post
I guess it all depends on what you are going to use your newly acquired gun for [ ? ]
I don't have a need for either. I use a Mossberg 535 for home defense and I have my share of carry guns. With either weapon it would probably just be a range gun. I just really want both and can only afford one of them for the time being.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #9

My personal feel is to get what you need first and then get what you want. Everyone needs a shotgun, and a reliable combat type pistol around the house and a key or combination lock on the bedroom or closet door if you have kids. If you live in the country add a repeating rifle to that list. After the needs are met, get what you want. Personally I'd like to have a good AR but I already have a cool SA. Ask yourself which one you are likly to shoot more and get that. If, on the other hand, you are going to pull it out to show friends the 1851 converted is a really interesting gun with history that everyone appreciates, even some anti-gun radicals.

Newest Threads