Blaser Rifle
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Blaser Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3470 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1743

Default Blaser Rifle

I have a question! Why in the world does the Blaser Rifles bring such an astronomical price? I have never shot one but the accuracy can not be that much better if any better than many other rifles like Savage, Remington, Sako, and Tikka ? Please give me some information and your thoughts as to their price being imported taxes and some other reasons???

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #2

Liked 773 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 842

There are very few rifles in this world that compare to the Blaser. The strait pull design is similar to the M1895 Steyr, but seriously refined. Everything about the rifle is highly refined and super strong.

Many of these are Blasers, or Mausers.

Pure Blasers, How many rifles do you know of that can change calibers in the field??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=OG6Lih395ak

Old 05-18-2012, 12:59 AM   #3

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Blaser - R8 Super Exclusive - .30-'06 caliber - Price: $35,790.00

That's $10K more than my first house!
blaser-r8-super-exclusive-.30-06-caliber.jpg   blaser-r8-super-exclusive-.30-06-caliber-2.jpg   blaser-r8-super-exclusive-.30-06-caliber-3.jpg   blaser-r8-super-exclusive-.30-06-caliber-4.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1949 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4368

They cost a lot more for a lot reasons. They are German and German products generally cost more simply because costs are usually higher (union fees, taxes, and more engineering work). They also use the best possible materials (the wood on them is absolutely gorgeous). I'm guessing they also have very tight tolerance on the alloy's for their steels. Machining tolerance are also probably much tighter than for most companies (German tolerances are always tighter). They are also low volume and have more hand work and less automation. All of that adds up. I'm guessing the markup on them isn't as much as you would think?

Now for the big question, are they worth it? Absolutely if you have a boat load of money to spend on a rifle. For most of us though they are not worth it. At the end of they are just an exceptionally high quality rifle but their not going to function much if any better than rifles that are a fraction of the cost.

Here's something to think about that's sort of related. A good friend of mine that recently passed away and I were having a conversation about wood vs plastic stocks. He remarked that all that maters is the performance of the rifle and so he was going with plastic. This same friend also loved everything Browning. He grew up like many of us when Browning was what almost everybody wanted. Most of us shot what ever we could afford but most of us still wanted a Browning. There was just something about the quality of Browning.

Here's the catch, if all that matters is performance then there was never a reason for any of us to ever want to pay extra for a Browning. There were many other guns that performed as well a Browning, but there was just something special about Browning. Today, now that all that matters is performance, Browning is just another gun on the rack beside a lot of other well performing guns. Similarly most cars are just another another car sitting on the lot. Somewhere along the way products quite being special be it guns, cars, or whatever. I'm not sure what changed?

Old 05-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
They cost a lot more for a lot reasons. They are German and German products generally cost more simply because costs are usually higher (union fees, taxes, and more engineering work). They also use the best possible materials (the wood on them is absolutely gorgeous). I'm guessing they also have very tight tolerance on the alloy's for their steels. Machining tolerance are also probably much tighter than for most companies (German tolerances are always tighter). They are also low volume and have more hand work and less automation. All of that adds up. I'm guessing the markup on them isn't as much as you would think?

Now for the big question, are they worth it? Absolutely if you have a boat load of money to spend on a rifle. For most of us though they are not worth it. At the end of they are just an exceptionally high quality rifle but their not going to function much if any better than rifles that are a fraction of the cost.

Here's something to think about that's sort of related. A good friend of mine that recently passed away and I were having a conversation about wood vs plastic stocks. He remarked that all that maters is the performance of the rifle and so he was going with plastic. This same friend also loved everything Browning. He grew up like many of us when Browning was what almost everybody wanted. Most of us shot what ever we could afford but most of us still wanted a Browning. There was just something about the quality of Browning.

Here's the catch, if all that matters is performance then there was never a reason for any of us to ever want to pay extra for a Browning. There were many other guns that performed as well a Browning, but there was just something special about Browning. Today, now that all that matters is performance, Browning is just another gun on the rack beside a lot of other well performing guns. Similarly most cars are just another another car sitting on the lot. Somewhere along the way products quite being special be it guns, cars, or whatever. I'm not sure what changed?
With all currencies being worthless and raw materials going up. You will pay more for a true piece of workmanship. Can you buy a Remington, Tikka, even a Browning that you can change from .308, to .243, to 9.3x62 in a couple of minutes? One rifle that can hunt everything on the planet with a quick change. Pretty intriguing. The R93 in a military roll is even better.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SF_-_dismounted_patrol.JPG

Old 05-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #6

No reply? Come on now. You asked. Would I trade one of my Mauser hunters for one? No. Would I like one? Yes'em.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #7

I have been to the Blaser factory. Blasers are worth the money *caveat* ....I own one.

There is no mechanical difference between an R8 professional at $3000 and an R8 Imperial at $50,000. There is a cosmetic difference...

Lets talk wood....gorgeous wood is harder and harder to come by, as are checkering and stock finishing skills. The stockmakers at Blaser are true craftsmen, as are the engravers..

At the factory, they showed us a piece of wood that was astounding, Grade 11 plus (look at the Blaser website)...thats over $10,000 as an upgrade. Can you imagine what that blank cost? $3000?

And the cool thing about that stock was while they were machining this enormously expensive blank, their CNC went baddabing and what dis they dsicover? A musket ball buried in the stock that the wood had grown over...chalk up one less expensive blank...

Having sold, handled or shot over 300 Blaser rifles, I can honestly say that nothing shoots like a Blaser. My own personal best is 1.5 inches three shots at 330 meters with a barrel so hot it was miraging worse than the Sahara.....

WildonceyougoblaseryounevergobackAlaska

Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1949 Times on 1247 Posts
Likes Given: 4368

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
No reply? Come on now. You asked. Would I trade one of my Mauser hunters for one? No. Would I like one? Yes'em.
I think we're in agreement. The first part of my post was pretty much what you said, just more long winded. The second part was me rambling on about guns not being special like they use to be. Just to expand on that, I went to what was a higher end gun shop this past weekend. They still have a few higher end guns but their shelves were mostly Rossi, Henry, Mossburg, Marlin, and Savage. All of those guns perform great but they just aren't special like some of the older brands - Browning, Winchester, FN, and even a plain old Remington 700.

Your old Mausers are special. They have character, history, and were really well built. The popular brands now lack all of that, at least to me. They function great, but they just aren't special. I would take a new Marlin, Mossburg, or Savage (Axis) rifle but I really wouldn't care which one because they are all about the same. It's sort of like comparing today's cars to some of the older cars. Today's cars all run great but they look about the same, cost about the same, and none of them really have any character. Unlike today's cars, a '65 GTO had character. There was more machining put into the iron sights on my old Enfield's than goes into an entire bolt action now. It's the little things like those iron sights that add character to a gun and make it special, unlike today's bolt actions which generally don't even have iron sights much less a quality set of iron sights.

I'm having a hard time putting this into words. Somewhere along the way new guns in general quite being special just like cars. At least those Blasers have character, but I still wouldn't take out a second mortgage for one.

Last edited by TLuker; 05-23-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I think we're in agreement. The first part of my post was pretty much what you said, just more long winded. The second part was me rambling on about guns not being special like they use to be. Just to expand on that, I went to what was a higher end gun shop this past weekend. They still have a few higher end guns but their shelves were mostly Rossi, Henry, Mossburg, Marlin, and Savage. All of those guns perform great but they just aren't special like some of the older brands - Browning, Winchester, FN, and even a plain old Remington 700.

Your old Mausers are special. They have character, history, and were really well built. The popular brands now lack all of that, at least to me. They function great, but they just aren't special. I would take a new Marlin, Mossburg, or Savage (Axis) rifle but I really wouldn't care which one because they are all about the same. It's sort of like comparing today's cars to some of the older cars. Today's cars all run great but they look about the same, cost about the same, and none of them really have any character. Unlike today's cars, a '65 GTO had character. There was more machining put into the iron sights on my old Enfield's than goes into an entire bolt action now. It's the little things like those iron sights that add character to a gun and make it special, unlike today's bolt actions which generally don't even have iron sights much less a quality set of iron sights.

I'm having a hard time putting this into words. Somewhere along the way new guns in general quite being special just like cars. At least those Blasers have character, but I still wouldn't take out a second mortgage for one.
I was directing it towards Sniper03 actually. Hey, I agree with you 100%, except I would opt for a '67 GTO.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3470 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1743

JP,

I have never seen one or handled one! Sounds like the craftsmanship is the key! Although still seems like a lot of money. I would hate to get a ding on it while hunting! I am looking forward to looking and holding one in the future!
Buying! That might be another issue!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy