Black powder

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Black powder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default Black powder

Does anybody else love the idea of primitive hunting

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 PM   #2

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I've shot deer with a primitive muzzle loader. no difference than shooting them with anything else.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:19 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

It feels different of you use everything original. I like blackpowder huntin more

Old 02-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #4

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Primitie hunting?? Bows work well. Knives and spears only on hogs when younger. Modern BP as fine when the hunting laws allow . No interest in old school BP

Old 02-15-2012, 01:46 AM   #5

I've been hunting with black powder shotguns, percussion rifles, flint lock rifles, percussion pistols and an inline muzzleloader for the last 30 years. I've used the shotgun for doves. The pistol and rifle for squirrels and the rifles for deer. I've also used them all for trap, skeet and target shooting. I had to go to an inline this past season because my aging eyes have trouble seeing the front sights. I had good luck with the inline. They are all fun to shoot, though the traditional guns are more fun.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yea the newer inlines do take you a step or two forword in being able take a deer. About the same as a old school slug gun compaired to modern sabots and rifled bores. Shot the same groups at 200 yards you use to do with open sites and smooth bores at 50 yards.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 PM   #7

What do you consider "primitive"? I'm all for primitive hunting and special seasons for such. However, as long as there is breath in my lungs and blood in my veins, I will not concede that an in-line Muzzelloader, using shotshell primers for ignition, pelletized powder, saboted bullets, and a scope sight constitutes a "primitive" weapon. A trapdoor Springfield is more of a primitive weapon than a modern in-line.