Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Big game rifle for "newbie".....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Now he's saying WE can't handle .375. The bottom line is mostly people that can't shoot good will attempt to overcome this with a much bigger gun-in hopes that marginal hits will still kill the animal. It just don't take that much to kill a black bear. Like I said-if YOU like it, fine-just don't try to steer newcomers into something not needed or that will make them flinch. If a hunter don't have a clean shot-he shouldn't pull the trigger in the 1st place. Chance has little to do with a properly set up shot. It sounds like you advocate shooting with less than a clean shot. That's irresponsible in the least. I've been a bowhunter since 1974 and have NEVER felt my setup wouldn't cleanly harvest the critter I was after at the time-including bear, elk, boar, etc. I guess bows are too puny to hunt with as well? I might agree with you were he hunting kodiaks exclusively but black bear/boar just don't warrant magnumitis-something which it seems you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerdog View Post
I hope you're not saying that it's easier to aim a 30-06 than it is to aim a 375 or 338. His aim is going to be whatever it is regardless of what gun he brings. A bigger caliber gives him a better chance to bag the bear, for the reason I've stated, because it will tear more muscle and break more bone than a 30-06. Less chance of the bear walking away wounded, and dying in the shrubs of a festering wound.

Just because tyou guys can't handle a caliber that big, doesn't mean the OP can't.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
It's not easier to aim, it's easier to practice
I'll agree with you there, and it's cheaper as well. But a .22lr is even easier on the shoulder and cheaper. Why not suggest that? They rent rifles at the range I go to. Maybe they rent them where the OP goes. It might behove him to go there and try a couple types out to see what he's comfortable firing.

Anyway, I don't want to keep ticking you guys off, so I'll bow out of this conversation.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:56 AM   #43

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Actually......so I'll back out of this conversation with my hat in my hand and leave it to the experts.
Quote:
I'll agree.......I don't want to keep ticking you guys off, so I'll bow out of this conversation.
You said that back on the fifth, can we count on it this time???

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 444 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 142

Let's not forget the venerable .35 Whelen. I think that cartridge is an excellent choice for game on this continent.Very managable recoil, good accuracy, easy to reload, and a good selection of bullet choices,and it fits into standard lenth actions. I am surprised more folks don't use them these days, an excellent cartridge in my opinion.

Good shooting,
Jeff

Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #45

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Actually I just bought one (35 whelen) this summer for my black bear rifle, so did my two cousins and their one friend. You can add 4 more to the whelen fan club

Old 09-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You DON'T need a magnum that'll kick the dogsnot out of you for 98% of the shots you'll likely encounter. The .270 that served you well in the past is just as good today as it was years ago, the game certainly hasn't gotten any tougher, so stick with a "standard" round like the previous poster suggested. Magnums, & their recoil, are NOT conductive to great marksmanship-especially for someone just starting out /again. One of my personal all time favorites is the 7mm08. 7mm08, .308, .270, .280,30-06 is all you'll NEED.
My thoughts exactly. He not going to Africa for goodness sake and a rifle he can handle and most importantly, shoot accurately should be the first priority, with the choice of bullet also being important. Any of the cartridges you mention should do well, including the 270 he already owns and would probably be the most comfortable with.

F. Prefect

Old 09-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #47

I am a big fan of a 25-06,no kick,great range,excellant accuracy which=fun without getting the sh#t beat outta me! my motto is lung shoot everything, a nice hole in the lungs will ruin anythings day. just my $0.02.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #48

well in my humble opinion a .30-06 will do the job for almost any big game in north America.

"Death is a preferable alternative to communism."

Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardog99s View Post
well in my humble opinion a .30-06 will do the job for almost any big game in north America.
I believe your humble opinion pretty well hits the nail on the head, although it's marginal if your quarry is a brown bear. That being the case I would carry a DA revolver in nothing less than a 44 magnum as a backup.

F. Prefect

Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by fprefect View Post
I believe your humble opinion pretty well hits the nail on the head, although it's marginal if your quarry is a brown bear. That being the case I would carry a DA revolver in nothing less than a 44 magnum as a backup.

F. Prefect
true, always what a back up, never know what you encounter, bear or human.

"Death is a preferable alternative to communism."