Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Big game rifle for "newbie".....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerdog View Post
Okay, the absolute minimum I go hunting bear with is a 30-06. If you think less than that is okay, then we're coming from two different planets. A newbie aims and takes a shot. He's probably not going to be as familiar with where to aim as someone who's been hunting a long time, can we agree on that? Not only that, but he'll probably get a hundred rounds in at the range before he goes hunting, so regardless of what gun he buys, he's not going to be all that familiar with it. That means he can miss a lot of places. He can miss high, to the sides or low. A 30-06 round placed in the right spot drops the bear. A 30-06 in the thigh...not necessarily, right? A .375 in the thing, or, if you don't like the recoil on a .375, then at least a .338 does more damage. Makes it harder for the bear to shrug it off on adrenaline. The bigger the novice a shooter is, the bigger the gun (within reason) he should take to hunt bear. If you're talking about deer, who gives a crap? The deer's not going to maul him. But bear....

That's my logic, what's yours? What makes a 30-06 a BETTER gun to go hunting bear with than a 375 or 338?
The person's skill and experience that is on the other end of that 30-06. Nubie or not, practice and experience. One needs to be experienced and familiar with his firearms capabilities. Be familiar with the selected prey and proper bullet placement, in order to make a humane kill and bring any animal down, whether it be a bear, deer, or bi-pedal variety. A 30-06 will bring all these animals down, as you stated, but it is the hunter who controls the firearms final results, not the other way around, IMO.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #32

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My logic is that you are not all that smart and don't have a stinking clue what your talking about.

The biggest bear in north america weighs in at 1200 to 1500 # That is really not all the big in the size of game. Elk and moose weigh just as much or more and thousands of of them have dies at the hands of hunters and the 30-06.

If a hunters doesn't know where to shoot at on an animal then they don't need to be hunting. I have never shot a deer in my life and I can aim and hit where I need to on a deer. It is not rocket science dude. It is called pratice if you don't want to put in the time to beome a compentant shooter and hunter then get away from me. My goal is to kill the animals as clean as I can. Blasting away with a 375 H&H is not my idea of that. There is no need to hunt anything in North America with that big of a gun. Hell 90% of the people out there don't need even a 30-06 to hunt anything in north america if they would just shoot more.

You can cleanly take deer with a 223 or 22-250 and good bullets. Why is it that most states say you have to use a 23 caliber or bigger.

Me if I were to go out and buy a long action hunting rifle right now it would be a 25-06. I can cleanly kill anything I want to hunt with it.

This is a new shooter or a new hunter. Suggesting that he run out and buy a rifle for African hunting is just stupid.

Like I said 30-06 will kill it all in NA....

I would load a good controled expansion bullet or maybe even a solid for bear. 200gr would be the lightest bullet I would go with. Nosler, Swift, Barns, Hornady Sierra all make high quality hunting bullets.

The reason people need bigger guns like you do is because they don't know how to shoot and couldn't hold a decent group if they tried. If people would treat hunting ax serious and not as a weekend hobbie we would even be having this disscussion.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #33

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I'm with Jack - Where does the skill of the shooter play into the equation?!

Having the biggest, baddest shoulder cannon, with the biggest, baddest recoil pad and muzzle break to ease the pain of shooting the damn thing isn't going to do you any good if you can't HIT what you are aiming at.

Going bear hunting, without any experience, is a first class trip into the Darwin Awards, no matter what great piece of H&H Kit you are sporting.

Now, the OP would like a rifle that is good for hogs, but CAN go bear hunting later on, down the line.

A .30-06 is a Magnum cartridge that is plentiful and common, can be loaded up or down, depending on the need of the shooter, and it will bring down just about anything in North America IF the shooter is capable of putting the bullet in the right place.

I lived in Alaska for 3 years. I have been Bear hunting. Even Alaskan bears can be brought down with a well placed .30 caliber round traveling at a high enough rate of speed.

JD

Old 09-05-2009, 10:19 PM   #34

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

1 shot....1 kill I GUARANTEE

Bring on BAMBI

Slo

Old 09-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #35

It will even work your abs as well as your legs and back. in 1 hunting season the gingun will whip your sorry butt into tip top condition.

Oh sorry the big bad hunting rifle will give you a work out like no other. Is that better Steelerdog. I know how you don't like people saying things differently. DA

Old 09-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I'm with Jack - Where does the skill of the shooter play into the equation?!

Having the biggest, baddest shoulder cannon, with the biggest, baddest recoil pad and muzzle break to ease the pain of shooting the damn thing isn't going to do you any good if you can't HIT what you are aiming at.
I hope you're not saying that it's easier to aim a 30-06 than it is to aim a 375 or 338. His aim is going to be whatever it is regardless of what gun he brings. A bigger caliber gives him a better chance to bag the bear, for the reason I've stated, because it will tear more muscle and break more bone than a 30-06. Less chance of the bear walking away wounded, and dying in the shrubs of a festering wound.

Just because tyou guys can't handle a caliber that big, doesn't mean the OP can't.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #37

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
I hope you're not saying that it's easier to aim a 30-06 than it is to aim a 375 or 338. His aim is going to be whatever it is regardless of what gun he brings. A bigger caliber gives him a better chance to bag the bear, for the reason I've stated, because it will tear more muscle and break more bone than a 30-06. Less chance of the bear walking away wounded, and dying in the shrubs of a festering wound.

Just because tyou guys can't handle a caliber that big, doesn't mean the OP can't.
Steeler, do you know a well placed spear-tipped arrow from a 60lb compound bow will bring down a grizzly. One shot-One kill, little over run after the shot. No tearing of muscles, no breaking of bone, just one arrow placed in the right spot. Now, I am not going to comment on your last comment there, due to respect to all the other forum members here that have given some very valuable opinions and advice, other than the fact that I see when you get nervous, you tend to type sloppy and misspell. I think the OP has his answer from several posted opinions, from experienced hunters and shooters, including yours.

Respectfully, Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #38

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Newbie + .375 caliber rifle = Instant Flinch = Inability to hit target

....end of discussion.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-MILLER View Post
Newbie + .375 caliber rifle = Instant Flinch = Inability to hit target

....end of discussion.
Sarge why do you always pt the best answer in the shortest possiable form. You have to stop doing that and making the rest of look like rambling fools. LOL

As for Steeler I got a 30-06 that will make your day hell and your shoulder numb for 3 days if you put 100 rounds of 180gr Nosler Partitions down range..

Old 09-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #40

Quote:

It's not easier to aim, it's easier to practice, therefore improving aim. If you go with something like a .375, your not going to be able to get many shots in at the range before your shoulder starts to hurt. It all comes down to practice, which isn't as practical with such a powerful round.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"