Big game rifle for "newbie"..... - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Big game rifle for "newbie".....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 03:51 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't understand why some people thing they need to have a rifle in the largest caliber possible. One of the cops that I ride with is an Ag/Marine Officer for the country I live in, so he gets called any time that any type of livestock gets out. For this reason he was issued a 20" AR as well as a 16" in the .50 Beowulf. He's had to shoot 3 cows, use the .223 on them, and killed them all in one shot. Now I don't know where he shot them whether it was in the head, or a heart/lung shot, but just telling the story to prove the point. Now I'm definitely NOT saying you should go hunting with a .223, especially if you were hunting bear, just saying that you don't need some super large caliber to hunt them.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 09-05-2009, 04:35 AM   #22

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerdog View Post
This is the one I have. Love the gun. It doesn't beat the hell out of your shoulder like a .458 does, and will drop anything but an elephant.

CZ Model 550 American Safari Bolt Action Rifle 04211, 375 H&H Mag, 25", Turkish Walnut Stock, Blued
OMG really. Are you sure about that.

I bet the closest you ever got to a REAL firearm was looking at them in WAL-MART.

Sometimes you really should just shut up and not say what the voices in your head tell you to. DA is all I can say.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:05 AM   #23
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1992 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 4214

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'd HIGHLY recommend you stay AWAY from package deals. The scopes the factories use in package deals (usually) are the cheapest available. MUCH better would be to buy the rifle, mounts, and something like Nikon Prostaff, or Weaver Classic. Both are 3x-9x-40mm, run about 150$, and are the cheapest scopes I'd consider putting on a game rifle. If you choose the cheapest scope you can get (as in package deals), you'll suffer from decreased performance and eventually wind up upgrading anyway. Why waste time & money with inferior optics? I've got a big tub full of them that I've removed for people. Neil
I picked up a package for a Mossberg 100 ATR 30-06 deal prior to hunting season draw; however, did not get 1 tag! Very Sad! Anyway, came with a scope - it and the mounts will be removed when time allows for a new scope - looking at Nikon or Bushnell models for now! Fired once - what a shame!

I did get a Nikon Prostaff for my Remington 700 VTR!

Last edited by canebrake; 09-05-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Little too big Bigcountry!

Old 09-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #24

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerdog View Post
This is the one I have. Love the gun. It doesn't beat the hell out of your shoulder like a .458 does, and will drop anything but an elephant.

CZ Model 550 American Safari Bolt Action Rifle 04211, 375 H&H Mag, 25", Turkish Walnut Stock, Blued
The OP requested "I'm looking for an affordable rifle...".

Use your head son and and read the posts so you can help this guy.

Why would you recommend a cannon like the 375 H&H Mag to hunt hog???

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-05-2009, 01:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
The OP requested "I'm looking for an affordable rifle...".

Use your head son and and read the posts so you can help this guy.

Why would you recommend a cannon like the 375 H&H Mag to hunt hog???
Actually the OP also said he's going for bear. But I can see you guys got your panties all bunged up over using a 375 on a bear, so I'll back out of this conversation with my hat in my hand and leave it to the experts.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #26

Again bear are not all that big. To use a 375 H&H is over kill big time.

There really is a thing called overgunned. A 30-06 has killed more animals around the world that any other caliber except for maybe a 22lr. A 30-06 loaded with 200gr controled expansion bullet like the Barns TSX, or the Swift A-frame, or Nosler Partition will take any bear in northamerica cut and dry. Prove to me that it will not.

Man men have taken bears with guns a lot less powerfull than the 30-06. I know of no muzzle loader made back in the westward expansion that had the power range and accuracy of a 30-06 but they killed anything and everything there is on this continent.

So again back your reccomendation up with facts not dribble. Lets hear it.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
So again back your reccomendation up with facts not dribble. Lets hear it.
Check halfway down:

Pennsylvania Game Commission - State Wildlife Management Agency: Release #136-05

A Cumberland County man was injured by a more than 320-pound black bear he had shot and was trying to recover on the first day of bear season, Nov. 21.

Samuel H. Beauchamp, 47, of Newville, was swiped by the injured bear and bitten twice during the encounter, which occurred in Huntingdon County's Todd Township in the Rothrock State Forest near Cassville at 7:30 a.m. Monday. The bear, which had been shot four times, died at Beauchamp's feet shortly after he had been bitten the second time. The hunter was taken to the J.C. Blair Memorial Hospital in Huntingdon, where he was treated and released.

Beauchamp had shot the bear three times with a .444 Marlin high-powered rifle during a drive. While attempting to recover the animal, the hunter approached to within 15 feet and shot the animal again in the chest.

"The bear came alive," Beauchamp explained. "When he came to his feet, I turned to back off, but he covered the distance between us and wrapped his paw around my hip and clawed me."

After grabbing Beauchamp, the bear bit him in the right front thigh, and then the left inner thigh. Each time, Beauchamp managed to shake off the bear. After the second bite, the bear died.

Mark Ternent, Game Commission bear biologist, noted that incidents such as Beauchamp's are exceptionally rare, and generally can be avoided if hunters keep their distance from a downed bear while monitoring and determining its status.

"This is the first incident in Pennsylvania that the Game Commission is aware of where a hunter was attacked by a bear he was trying to recover," Ternent said. "Any downed game must be approached with caution. Hunters should stay back and monitor whether the bear is moving, or breathing with the aid of binoculars or the scope on their rifle, before closing in to recover the bear."

Shot placement is key. Newbie may not have good shot placement. At least take a .338.

p.s. It's "drivel" not dribble.

Last edited by Steelerdog; 09-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #28

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Moderator case in point: With Tango; dribble = drivel.

He's our malapropism master, Kinda like the Norm Crosby of the FTF.

Steel, can we give this a rest?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 09-05-2009, 06:25 PM   #29

Maybe if the dude would not have had a hard recoiling rifle like the 444 he would have shot it more than 3 times before the season.

I have shot a 375H&H I can do it but I don't like it.

The last time I looked I typed dribble like "The best part of you dribbled down your mom's azz crack". I know how to type and how to talk.

Last edited by cpttango30; 09-05-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #30

Okay, the absolute minimum I go hunting bear with is a 30-06. If you think less than that is okay, then we're coming from two different planets. A newbie aims and takes a shot. He's probably not going to be as familiar with where to aim as someone who's been hunting a long time, can we agree on that? Not only that, but he'll probably get a hundred rounds in at the range before he goes hunting, so regardless of what gun he buys, he's not going to be all that familiar with it. That means he can miss a lot of places. He can miss high, to the sides or low. A 30-06 round placed in the right spot drops the bear. A 30-06 in the thigh...not necessarily, right? A .375 in the thing, or, if you don't like the recoil on a .375, then at least a .338 does more damage. Makes it harder for the bear to shrug it off on adrenaline. The bigger the novice a shooter is, the bigger the gun (within reason) he should take to hunt bear. If you're talking about deer, who gives a crap? The deer's not going to maul him. But bear....

That's my logic, what's yours? What makes a 30-06 a BETTER gun to go hunting bear with than a 375 or 338?