Big game rifle for "newbie".....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Big game rifle for "newbie".....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Big game rifle for "newbie".....

Hey guys, I have a boar hunt coming up in Jan and I'm also hoping to go for some black bear as well this year. I'm looking for an affordable rifle that can handle both. I've mostly shot 270's at deer back in the day but that was a good 5-10 years ago.

Along with those guidelines, I've always wanted to get into long range targets (500 yards plus). Anyone have any ideas?

As far as preference of a maker....I have a Ruger sp101 that I LOVE so a Tuger would be nice, but anything solid would suffice. Thanks fellas, have a good one.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-12-2009, 02:53 AM   #2

What is affordable to you? That word means different things to different people.

some good options:

Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather in 300 Win. Mag. ($600) (probably the best option)

Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan in .375 Ruger ($800) (Heavy hitter option)

Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .300 Weatherby ($1,500) (.30-378 or .338-.375 if you want more power and don't mind buying really expensive ammo)

Kimber 8400 Police Tactical in .300 Win. Mag. ($1,500) (Good luck finding one)

Last edited by J33Nelson; 08-12-2009 at 03:13 AM.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:34 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The above magnum rounds will and are big time hitters, will put anything on the ground in N.A. for sure. You might want to shoot one or more though, befor you purchase. They and the other magnum rounds will have a fair amount of recoil. I am not recoil shy, but switched over to a 7mm-08 this year for my N.A. big game gun. Still shoot a magnum some, but not very necessary in most of my situations. A well placed .308 or 30-06 in a Ruger Hawkeye might do the trick for you also. Would be a little more fun for me in more applications. I really like the scope ring set up on the rugers and the nice heavy bolt. The new trigger on the Hawkeyes is much improved over the previous Rugers.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:24 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Yeah that 600 dollar amount seems to be in my range.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You DON'T need a magnum that'll kick the dogsnot out of you for 98% of the shots you'll likely encounter. The .270 that served you well in the past is just as good today as it was years ago, the game certainly hasn't gotten any tougher, so stick with a "standard" round like the previous poster suggested. Magnums, & their recoil, are NOT conductive to great marksmanship-especially for someone just starting out /again. One of my personal all time favorites is the 7mm08. 7mm08, .308, .270, .280,30-06 is all you'll NEED.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Savage Arms Package Series Model 10GXP3

Check out the packages from Savage, specially with the Accu-trigger and scope for under $700. Available in most popular hunting calibers.

Slo

Old 08-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post

Check out the packages from Savage, specially with the Accu-trigger and scope for under $700. Available in most popular hunting calibers.

Slo
That looks like a good set-up to me too. Just make sure the scope is decent quality and securely mounted.
308 or 30-06 would be my preference.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd HIGHLY recommend you stay AWAY from package deals. The scopes the factories use in package deals (usually) are the cheapest available. MUCH better would be to buy the rifle, mounts, and something like Nikon Prostaff, or Weaver Classic. Both are 3x-9x-40mm, run about 150$, and are the cheapest scopes I'd consider putting on a game rifle. If you choose the cheapest scope you can get (as in package deals), you'll suffer from decreased performance and eventually wind up upgrading anyway. Why waste time & money with inferior optics? I've got a big tub full of them that I've removed for people. Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post

Slo

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I'd HIGHLY recommend you stay AWAY from package deals. The scopes the factories use in package deals (usually) are the cheapest available. MUCH better would be to buy the rifle, mounts, and something like Nikon Prostaff, or Weaver Classic. Both are 3x-9x-40mm, run about 150$, and are the cheapest scopes I'd consider putting on a game rifle. If you choose the cheapest scope you can get (as in package deals), you'll suffer from decreased performance and eventually wind up upgrading anyway. Why waste time & money with inferior optics? I've got a big tub full of them that I've removed for people. Neil
+1 on that. Now, I'm not rifle expert, but in general "package" deals seem to be the worst possible way to go. Convenient, yes, but if you want the best you can get, buy individual. That way, you choose what YOU like, not what others have throw together.
Best of luck.

S.S.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #10

Thanks for chiming in about the scope/package deal. I was wanting to write the same thing, but being new here, didn't want to make any enemies. That's why I mentioned to make sure the scope was of decent quality.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.