Big Game Hunting in Alaska - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Big Game Hunting in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I study firearm design and terminal ballistics. First off you have chosen a great cartride as long as good stout bullets are used. I shot alot of big game with this caliber and never found it wanting. Second, the scope, the bigger the scope the more likely it is to get damaged and knocked out of alignment. The bigger the scope the easier it is for recoil to damage it. I would suggest a compact Leupold 2x7. I can easily see game beyond legal hunting light. As for firearms, of all common models out there, either the Ruger77 or the Winchester 70 are very rugged and reliable. While I dont own a newer model 70 or a Ruger I have studied them both and would buy either one long before I would buy any other. As to NEEDING a 10 shot repeater? I suggest you need practice and experence far more. I have hunted big game for 47 years and have never emptied my 5 shot magazine in well over 100 head of big game taken. As for night vision, better check your regulations as I know of no state that allows you to hunt big game at night.
Yea the 10 round magazine was just an idea, not a necessity. i trust your experience more than my idea, so i wont worry about it.

I hadn't thought about the recoil damaging the scope. That's a great point. Will keep that in mind and get a smaller more compact scope.

The night vision idea was more for my shooting nocturnal vermin at my parent's where I'd be using a different rifle. I found some fairly moderate priced monoculars w/ head gear that would probably work instead of an actual night vision scope.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf101 View Post
As for gun I would go with either Marlin guide gun 45/70 or a 338 win mag. or 416.
ok thanks for the feedback. I don't know anything about the marlin i will check it out.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1142 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 677

my sister and her husband have taken a trip to alaska. my sister used a 7mm08, and her hubby used a 7mm mag. both took a caribou with one shot. at about a range of 200 yrds for my sister and 340 for her hubby. rem 700, m77, and winchester model 70 would all be good rifles, also look into savage, and tikka.

for a scope i would suggest any of the following 3x9's burris, nikon, bushnell elite, leopould. with a little practice you should be able to do just fine

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:48 AM   #14

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldstatic

ok thanks for the feedback. I don't know anything about the marlin i will check it out.
Marlins are awesome guns. I usually recommend the x7 series but there isnt one in the series out yet chambered in what you are wanting. If you decide to go smaller than a 300 then the marlin x7 comes in 270 and 30-06. As to the 45/70, 338 win mag, or the 416 rigby- they are definately IMO not for someone who doesnt have much experience with hard recoilling guns. You said you arent scared of recoil but i have seen big burley guys pick up a hard kicking gun and think it wont be that bad shoot it and now they all flinch like you wouldnt believe. Iv been shooting since i was 5 and recoil isnt that bad to me usually and im 6' 175 lbs. Thats alot of experience with that though. What was the "hand held magnum" you shot?

Old 12-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Marlins are awesome guns. I usually recommend the x7 series but there isnt one in the series out yet chambered in what you are wanting. If you decide to go smaller than a 300 then the marlin x7 comes in 270 and 30-06. As to the 45/70, 338 win mag, or the 416 rigby- they are definately IMO not for someone who doesnt have much experience with hard recoilling guns. You said you arent scared of recoil but i have seen big burley guys pick up a hard kicking gun and think it wont be that bad shoot it and now they all flinch like you wouldnt believe. Iv been shooting since i was 5 and recoil isnt that bad to me usually and im 6' 175 lbs. Thats alot of experience with that though. What was the "hand held magnum" you shot?

by hand held i meant pistol, i don't remember the model however.

I'll look into smaller guns though. Thanks!!

Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #16

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldstatic

by hand held i meant pistol, i don't remember the model however.

I'll look into smaller guns though. Thanks!!
Thats what i thought you ment. A magnum pistol is NOWHERE near the recoil you would feel from any rifle magnum. Besides rimfire that is. Your welcome

Old 12-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2558 Times on 1250 Posts
Likes Given: 1286

Solidstatic,

Like the rest here! If you are not accustomed to shooting big magnum rifles with the minimum experience as you advised. I would not recommend the 338 Magnums. The reason is once you inherit a flinch it is very hard to break. And as mentioned the 338 has some real recoil. Just sighting it in you would quickly find out what we are telling you. And hopefully you would not develop a flinch that could cost you an opportunity of a lifetime while you are in Alaska due to a missed shot caused by the flinch. If you are just not targeting Grizzly Bears you do not need that big of a magnum. As mentioned the 30-06 is the old reliable with tolerable recoil and a vast selection of bullet weights and compositions to do most jobs. I have a 7mm Rem Mag and it will drop an elk for example with no problem. There are a lot of good rifles out there. One of my favorites is the Remington 700 CDL or variants. Savage makes an excellent rifle and a fair price, Howa, Tikka, CZ, Marlin, and many more. But selecting a good scope is the real key. Don't skimp on the scope! You get what you pay for. You sure do not want anything that will malfunction on you on a trip like this one! You do not get to do that but a few times in your lifetime if you are like most of us. And the last thing you would want is the scope to fog up on you in the middle of no where!
I prefer Leupold 3.5X10 in the 30mm Tube diameter with 50 Obj. Lens, Nikon, IOR Valdada and Bushnell's top of the line scopes. There are other good scopes out there. Depends on your price range. Good luck and keep us informed regarding your Alaskan hunt!

Old 12-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i have to agree, the 338 win. mag. has some nasty recoil. now you could tame it down somewhat with a muzzle brake, but that means sending it off and having one installed, just an option if you still wanted to go withe the 338. if you reloaded, powder selection would be another option in helping with recoil, but if not then you are limited with factory ammo. a good recoil pad would be a good choice to make too, and there are way better ones than the factory recoil pad. given your limited experiance with magnum rifles i would recommend the 30-06 too, modest recoil and the widest selection of factory ammo of any caliber made. as said before don't go cheap on the scope, buy the best you can afford, $250-500 will buy a very nice dependable scope.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #19

I own a variety of rifles to use in hunting. For flat shooting when hunting large North American game, I would say a .270 would not be bad and the recoil is minimum.

If you want a magnum, then I would say use a .270 mag, still just minor recoil.

My right shoulder was actually dislocated from the recoil of a 7mm mag but it was due to a previous rotator cuff tear and would not have happened had the rotator cuff not been severered.

It would be my suggestion for an inexperienced shooter to stay away from magnums.

Scopes? Get a decent brand without breaking the bank. A person can easily spend $3000 on a rifle, scope, case and shells. There is no need of doing such. Buy a nice used Remington and put a moderate scope on it for a couple hundred. You can come out for less than $1,000.

The one thing I am going to suggest. Get a bolt action rifle and stay away from the auto loaders.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #20

I agree with sniper I started out shooting magnums. They made me flinch now I'm finally getting over it. Took me over ten years to do that