Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Big Game Hunting in Alaska

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Big Game Hunting in Alaska

My step dad, dad, brother in law and brother and I are considering organizing a trip to Alaska in a couple years to do some big game hunting. I have so many questions, but am not sure who to ask so I'm hoping you can help!

What is the best bang for buck type of gun I should get? From what I've read I am thinking some kind of 338 magnum, but i'm not sure what brand/model to be looking at. Preferably one where I can add on a magazine of some kind so that I could get 4 or 5 shots off without reloading. I'm terrified about not getting a good hit and having an animal suffer, would really like to be able to put it down with another shot.

I'm not really super experienced with scopes, but would definitely like a good scope. What would you suggest for minimum magnification?

Also is there some kind of scope that would have some kind of read out that would tell you the distance to the target? I built an ultrasonic range finder in college but it was for a small distance, nothing like 200 yards or whatever.

Preferably I would like a scope that had a decent or variable magnification, some kind of range finder, and nightvision. We have problems with some nocturnal vermin at my mom's, nightvision might be helpful.

Man if I had a rifle with a night vision / range finding / variable magnification scope, and a 10 round clip, that would be the ultimate. But it'll prob be out of my price range.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19570 Times on 11108 Posts
Likes Given: 49272

welcome to the forum! stop over in the introductions section and say hello and tell us a little about yourself.

first question, how much experiance with shooting and shooting large magnum calibers? these can be very brutal in the recoil. i have owned and shot a 338 win. mag. and it has some recoil! a decent rifle in 338 magnum isn't going to be cheap.

a scope for something in that type of caliber, i would say in the range of 2-7 power should be fine for that type of hunting, but others may have different recommendations.

yes some scopes have range finding reticles to estimate holdover based on distance. lots of people also use a seperate rangefinder to get the distance, then estimate the holdover needed for the shot.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 AM   #3

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55
welcome to the forum! stop over in the introductions section and say hello and tell us a little about yourself.

first question, how much experiance with shooting and shooting large magnum calibers? these can be very brutal in the recoil. i have owned and shot a 338 win. mag. and it has some recoil! a decent rifle in 338 magnum isn't going to be cheap.

a scope for something in that type of caliber, i would say in the range of 2-7 power should be fine for that type of hunting, but others may have different recommendations.

yes some scopes have range finding reticles to estimate holdover based on distance. lots of people also use a seperate rangefinder to get the distance, then estimate the holdover needed for the shot.
Bushnell, burris to name a few make laser range finder scopes they are around $ 800 I shoot a 338 alot but u need to know its a belted magnum an kicks like a raped ape. If u have very little shootin time under yer belt well to say the least u will not like it. The recoil will cause less than average shooters to develope a serious flinch due to the recoil. Start smaller work yer way up to the big dog magnums

Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Bushnell, burris to name a few make laser range finder scopes they are around $ 800 I shoot a 338 alot but u need to know its a belted magnum an kicks like a raped ape. If u have very little shootin time under yer belt well to say the least u will not like it. The recoil will cause less than average shooters to develope a serious flinch due to the recoil. Start smaller work yer way up to the big dog magnums
Ruger m77s are great guns for that type of hunting. As to caliber a good 30.06 with good ammo will work. Remington 700 is another great rifle. 7 mm mag is another mag option and as mulie can attest to a 7mm wont usually take your head and shoulder off. If you are recoil sensitive then an 06 or good 270 would probably be your best bet. Then you can use it for deer or elk and such also.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 AM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Welcome to the group also. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:53 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

I study firearm design and terminal ballistics. First off you have chosen a great cartride as long as good stout bullets are used. I shot alot of big game with this caliber and never found it wanting. Second, the scope, the bigger the scope the more likely it is to get damaged and knocked out of alignment. The bigger the scope the easier it is for recoil to damage it. I would suggest a compact Leupold 2x7. I can easily see game beyond legal hunting light. As for firearms, of all common models out there, either the Ruger77 or the Winchester 70 are very rugged and reliable. While I dont own a newer model 70 or a Ruger I have studied them both and would buy either one long before I would buy any other. As to NEEDING a 10 shot repeater? I suggest you need practice and experence far more. I have hunted big game for 47 years and have never emptied my 5 shot magazine in well over 100 head of big game taken. As for night vision, better check your regulations as I know of no state that allows you to hunt big game at night.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As for gun I would go with either Marlin guide gun 45/70 or a 338 win mag. or 416.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #8

Wow so much great feedback! Thanks everyone!

I very little experience with large magnum calibers. but i'm not very afraid of recoil. I've shot a handheld magnum before, and it wasn't too big of a deal. i know its big, but everything I saw thus far suggested it. Maybe it's over kill, but I'm a little worried about being underpowered when we get up there. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I'm not too worried about the recoil, except that it will hurt my shoulders probably. I'd be much more worried about the ape hahaha.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Ruger m77s are great guns for that type of hunting. As to caliber a good 30.06 with good ammo will work. Remington 700 is another great rifle. 7 mm mag is another mag option and as mulie can attest to a 7mm wont usually take your head and shoulder off. If you are recoil sensitive then an 06 or good 270 would probably be your best bet. Then you can use it for deer or elk and such also.
Thanks for the suggestions I'll look into the m77 and remington 700.

Thanks!!