Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   The better gun....Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm or Hi-Point 9mm Carbine??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/better-gun-marlin-camp-carbine-9mm-hi-point-9mm-carbine-31450/)

neil-v1 09-07-2010 10:11 PM

The better gun....Marlin Camp Carbine 9mm or Hi-Point 9mm Carbine???

I am trying to decide on either the Marlin 9mm Camp Carbine or the Hi Point 9mm Carbine. This will not be my MBR, I am simply looking for a good mid range gun with very cheap ammo that I can also use in my pistolas. Any opinions? Also, what is the smallest cal rifle anyone would suggest I use for an MBR? I want something with the cheapest ammo possible but still have decent knock down power that can reach out there. Thanks.

orangello 09-07-2010 10:14 PM

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.
Maybe something lightly used.

IMO, 7.62x39 is pretty cheap & my SKS is a decent choice for a do-most all rifle.

Dgunsmith 09-08-2010 03:20 AM

The Marlin Camp-9 is far superior , uses S&W magazines which are easy to find and with a new buffer in the receiver, will far out last and out perform.

Buffer Technologies make the replacement buffers which are far superior to the ones used by Marlin, which fall apart !

Joshua M. Smith 09-08-2010 04:02 AM

I had a Camp 45 and a Hi-Point 995.

I can vouch for the Camp 45. I replaced the buffer (showed hardly any wear) and the recoil spring, then sold it. I was LNIB and I knew I'd end up ruining its value if I kept it. I don't do safe queens. All my guns are working guns.

Anyway, if I were making the choice, it would be the Camp 9 hands down in a pistol carbine; SKS in a short rifle.

Josh

M14sRock 09-08-2010 04:37 AM

I have never used a HP, but I did own a couple of Camp Carbines, 9mm and .45. They were excellent, and I should never have sold them.

The Marlin CC .45 was my first experience with the excellent Metal Form 1911 mags with the round follower. I kept the mag (still have it) when I sold the gun.

DarkFreedom 09-08-2010 07:09 AM

I have the 995TS by Hi Point. I would recommend this carbine because it is light weight, durable, and it comes with a lifetime no questions asked factory warrantee.
I can not say much for the other choice because I have never used one.

Drriley 09-08-2010 12:27 PM

I have both in 9mm, and both are very good rifles. While the Marlin is much better quality, you will have no trouble with the Hi-Point. You will see a lot of negitave comments on the Hi-Point, but I have seen no problems with the rifle. I have the older stock version and have not shot the new version.

The biggest difference will be in the cost. The Hi-Point will be about 1/2 the cost of the Marlin (even the extra magazines)..

Cornhusker 09-08-2010 04:32 PM

Never tried the Marlin, but I own 3 Hi Point 9mm carbines.
They are fun, dependable and inexpensive.
the new TS carbines have LRHO and are much smoother operating than the previous version.
Another one to consider although they aren't made anymore, is the Ruger PC9. It uses the same mags as the P series pistols and is really a solid carbine.

MikePapa1 09-08-2010 09:27 PM

I carry my Camp 9 fitted with a folding stock as my "car gun." As it will fire the same ammunition as my carry gun. I've had this Camp 9 for more than 10 years and have put a far amount of rounds through it including the Hydra-Shok 115gr +P+ Federals that I use as my carry ammo with no problems. It it a quality weapon.

DarkFreedom 09-08-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drriley (Post 346558)
I have both in 9mm, and both are very good rifles. While the Marlin is much better quality, you will have no trouble with the Hi-Point. You will see a lot of negitave comments on the Hi-Point, but I have seen no problems with the rifle. I have the older stock version and have not shot the new version.

The biggest difference will be in the cost. The Hi-Point will be about 1/2 the cost of the Marlin (even the extra magazines)..

you really need to try the TS version. the stock is more rigid and feels so much more solid. and it still has virtually no kick back.