Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Better .338 Lupa? Armalite AR-30 or SAKO TRG-42 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/better-338-lupa-armalite-ar-30-sako-trg-42-a-28523/)

HvegasCowboy 06-19-2010 09:18 PM

Better .338 Lupa? Armalite AR-30 or SAKO TRG-42

I'm am looking into buying one of the rifles for long range shooting, and I was wondering if anybody had firsthand experience with either one of these rifles. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dgunsmith 06-19-2010 10:02 PM

If you can afford the $6 to pull the trigger and have access to somewhere to shoot 500 to 1000+ yards, the TRG-42 will be the better choice. It is is use by many european military and police SWAT teams.

The price of the rifle is just the start. Consider what you will spend on the scope to meet the rifles needs at distance.

It will be a fun choice !

500mag_guy 06-20-2010 12:16 AM

well if your going to be putting out the money i would go with the barrett model 98. barrett is the top of the line for the 338 lapua and 50 bmg. so if i were you i would put a little more money out and get a barrett:D

HvegasCowboy 06-20-2010 01:31 AM

Well to get a Barrett, I'd have to put out a little more than a "little more", lol.

Armalite AR-30 - $1,882.00
SAKO TRG-42 - $2,960.00
Barrett 98b - $4,399

These are the lowest prices I have found each gun at. I really can't dish out $5,000 on a rifle right now. I just want to know if the SAKO is really worth $1,000 more than the Armalite.

Dillinger 06-20-2010 01:49 AM

These are very expensive, and customized, platforms. At this price range, it kind of bears knowing what you are looking to do. :confused:

Long Range Shooting is kind of implied when anyone is talking about the .338 Lapua, but what kind of shooting?

Competition?

Paper Punching?

Varmint shooting (too expensive of a round for that I would think)?

Extreme Range Zombie Elimination?

And have you factored in the price of optics to take advantage of the rifles abilities as Dgunsmith has indicated?

JD

HvegasCowboy 06-20-2010 01:55 AM

I will be long range competition shooting for "beginners" lol. I am not a beginner shooter, just a beginner 500+ yard shooter. I understand it will be expensive, and that is why I am not going to start off buying a $10,000 Barrett 50 cal. I don't want to get the Barrett 98b because that will deplete all of my saved funds for this project, and I would have to wait before I could buy optics. So if I buy the Armalite or even the SAKO, I would still have enough money to dump into a scope.

And you never know about those zombies... lol

Dillinger 06-20-2010 02:16 AM

Well, given that you are a "beginner" at this range, and you want to shoot competition, I think going with the .338 is just throwing money away.

You don't need that kind of fire power to be competitive, what you need to do is take some time and do some reading about long range shooting.

Are you talking about across the course, or benchrest, or sniper challenges?

While there are people that are shooting these magnum sized calibers, they are competing in specialized shooting events for those platforms. So, unless you want to do that, buying a stock "anything" is going to be pigeon-holing yourself.

Now, .338 Lapua can be had in "Match Grade" off the shelf ammo. That is a mild plus. But even so, the ammo is not going to be fire formed to your chamber and it's not going to be tuned to your weapon. That is why everyone who shoots in serious competitions is reloading custom rounds for competition.

So, my question to you is, how serious are you about getting into this? Because if you start at the letter "E", that may not be able to take you all the way to "Z".

Just my $0.02

HvegasCowboy 06-20-2010 02:50 AM

Well, my father has a buddy that shoots F-Class competitions, and that is what has gotten me into this type of shooting. I plan on purchasing a Leupold Mark 4 scope, and I will be shooting Lapua 155-grain loads. And the guy my dad knows loads his own ammunition so I am sure I'll be learning all about that too. What I am planning on getting may be a little high-end for a "beginner", but I want something that I wont have to replace if I ever decide to step it up. And I of course will not be starting out at 1,000 yards. It's kind of like when you have the money to get a Corvette, but you really only "need" a Cavalier...

doctherock 06-20-2010 04:03 AM

Well if you want a custom built rifle, there is a >338 Lapua Magnum breakdown rifle at Anzio Ironworks specializes in high quality 50 BMG Rifles and Ammunition..

500mag_guy 06-20-2010 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HvegasCowboy (Post 302975)
Well to get a Barrett, I'd have to put out a little more than a "little more", lol.

Armalite AR-30 - $1,882.00
SAKO TRG-42 - $2,960.00
Barrett 98b - $4,399

These are the lowest prices I have found each gun at. I really can't dish out $5,000 on a rifle right now. I just want to know if the SAKO is really worth $1,000 more than the Armalite.

oh alright sorry buddy. i was just making sure you were aware of barrett making one. The only reason i brought it up is because i too have looked at the lapua and after i looked at the guns side by side the barrett is so much better built.

Good luck on your search.