Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best way to disable a rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Call the police.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All you have to do is file/grind .100" off the front tip of the firing pin. Why not remove the gun from the premises and he'll think it was stolen?

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta25 View Post
Is it possible that firing pins could come out over time when firing the gun? I'm going to remove the firing pin, that's the plan, but hopefully he just thinks it came out when over time...
not really, but they can break.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5126 Times on 2669 Posts
Likes Given: 310

if he is actually to the point where he is dangerous with a gun he will be just as dangerous with knives axes chainsaws cars rakes ball bats pieces of broken bottles or broken windows. what do you think is going to hapen when he does go off the edge and his gun doesnt work?? he is going to use it as a club.

if he is truly that far gone you need to seek professional help. removeing the weapon or removing the firing pin is not going to fix the problem. many mental issues can be helped by proper medications taht will bring a person's chemistry back into balance. seek professional medical help. fooling around with firing pins and such is not going to help your relative.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:00 PM   #15

If he happens to know quite a bit about guns as you say, then he would probably figure out the firing pin being shortened. When the gun doesn't fire after he has pulled the trigger it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize there is no dent in the primer. Nothing to stop him from replacing it or swapping in a new bolt altogether which isn't a great idea safety wise. He'll still be able to chamber a round and possibly touch it off. Like said before, remove the gun entirely or make it so a round can't be chambered to eliminate any chance of firing it.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbshoots View Post
if you can't get the gun away from him, how do you expect to alter it? mental telepathy?

just saying, if you can get your hands on it to alter it you can take it from them. yes, it is stealing, let them call the cops and explain when they get there.

if the person is truly dangerous, get it from them however you can.

i have taken the magazine (and the one in the chamber) from a drunk friend's gun (gave it back the next day when they sobered up), and i've removed all the firearms from another friends house when i thought he was acting suicidal.

in both cases, i didn't ask their permission, i just did what needed doing.

repeat, if you think the person is truly dangerous, get that firearm away from them however you can. period.

Damned easiest thing to do... If this fella is that bad, call the police and have the firearm(s) confiscated. Not even sure why we're spending so much time giving advice here. It's cut and dry!

Old 11-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHanlin View Post
Damned easiest thing to do... If this fella is that bad, call the police and have the firearm(s) confiscated. Not even sure why we're spending so much time giving advice here. It's cut and dry!
True. Besides I don't think the legally insane are allowed to own weapons, are they?

Old 11-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcomf View Post
True. Besides I don't think the legally insane are allowed to own weapons, are they?

Nope.. Course it all comes down to how truthful you are when filling out the forms. NICS "should" catch it in any event. But if you have a CCP (Conceal Carry Permit), they don't even run the check in my state.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:09 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

A rifle that cannot be fired can still get the old guy killed if he gets upset & points it at an armed burglar/assailant or worse yet, a police officer not aware of the unready state of the rifle. Suck it up & take the rifle or have the police do so if absolutely needed.

Just my opinion, but i'd prefer the old timer be pissed off at me than dead early because of me.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
A rifle that cannot be fired can still get the old guy killed if he gets upset & points it at an armed burglar/assailant or worse yet, a police officer not aware of the unready state of the rifle. Suck it up & take the rifle or have the police do so if absolutely needed.

Just my opinion, but i'd prefer the old timer be pissed off at me than dead early because of me.
I would second this advice.

Nut up or Shut up!