Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best way to disable a rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best way to disable a rifle?

Ok guys, my elder relative is insane. He also has access to a rifle- not a good combination. How could I disable the gun so it couldn't fire? Here's the catch- He happens to know quite a bit about guns, so it would have to be something that he wouldn't realize someone else did (ex.something that would happen to the gun anyway over time). Got any ideas??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just get the gun away from him all together.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Agreed....Remove the gun and when he asks where it went, tell him it is being cared for in a safe place. DO NOT SELL OR GIVE THE GUN AWAY!! Unless you send it to me!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

pull the firing pin, trim it down so that it can protrude past the bolt face.

Most gun owners would never know what to look at. They put in a live round, pull the trigger, nothing happens. They eject the round and try another. Same result.

Unless they are pretty familiar with the firearm, they aren't going to take the bolt apart and check the length of the firing pin....

But getting the gun away from him would be the first and best option.

JD

Old 11-16-2009, 11:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
pull the firing pin, trim it down so that it can protrude past the bolt face.

Most gun owners would never know what to look at. They put in a live round, pull the trigger, nothing happens. They eject the round and try another. Same result.

Unless they are pretty familiar with the firearm, they aren't going to take the bolt apart and check the length of the firing pin....

But getting the gun away from him would be the first and best option.

JD
Haha, but if only you knew...Getting the gun away from him is NOT an option lol...so the trimming option sounds like a great idea, what would I trim it down with?

Old 11-16-2009, 11:37 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta25 View Post
Haha, but if only you knew...Getting the gun away from him is NOT an option lol...so the trimming option sounds like a great idea, what would I trim it down with?
Got a pair of dikes or hard wire cutters of some sort? Got a dremel or a grinder?

Most firing pins are aluminum, thin steel, and rarely, but sometimes, titanium.

In any event, there is a big end and small end. The small end goes through the boltface, so that is the part you want to trim. Your goal that the firing should not be able to go through the bolt face, so that it can't punch the primer, and thus becomes incapable of setting of any sort of live round.

Please double check this before assuming what you trimmed is enough. .25" should be MORE than plenty, but ALWAYS double check any work you do to a firearm to make sure what you think is gonna happen, is what REALLY does happen....

In your case, if you are not near a range, and can't have the weapon out for long, you can make the mod and use a primed case with NO POWDER AND NO BULLET in it. This means you pull the round, dump out the powder, preferably with a bullet puller like the one from RCBS, and you are chambering only a piece of brass with a live primer.

If you got the mod right, you pull the trigger and nothing happens.

If you didn't trim enough, you pull the trigger and the primer will fire, which will make a loud noise and probably startle you.

Of course if you have a micrometer or similiar piece of equipment, you can measure the firing pin and the projection through the boltface and have a real good idea what to do.

The easier option is just pull the firing pin all together. This assumes that the person in question would not disassemble the bolt and find the firing pin missing. The benefit of a trimmed pin is that it can fool you if you don't know what you are looking for. If the pin is gone, and you are looking for it, well, that would be bad....

Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta25 View Post
if you can't get the gun away from him, how do you expect to alter it? mental telepathy?

just saying, if you can get your hands on it to alter it you can take it from them. yes, it is stealing, let them call the cops and explain when they get there.

if the person is truly dangerous, get it from them however you can.

i have taken the magazine (and the one in the chamber) from a drunk friend's gun (gave it back the next day when they sobered up), and i've removed all the firearms from another friends house when i thought he was acting suicidal.

in both cases, i didn't ask their permission, i just did what needed doing.

repeat, if you think the person is truly dangerous, get that firearm away from them however you can. period.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Firing pin removal.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #9

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMTactical View Post
Firing pin removal.
Best way. Fast also.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #10

Is it possible that firing pins could come out over time when firing the gun? I'm going to remove the firing pin, that's the plan, but hopefully he just thinks it came out when over time...