Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20914 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

trip, funny thing is, no 50BMG rifle in law abiding citizens hands has ever been used in any illegal activity. so where do these idiots get their info?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #32

Liked 1283 Times on 803 Posts
Likes Given: 308

There is an interesting article in the current Shotgun News about a new Russian sniper system, effective to 2500 meters. A real Reach-out-and-touch-someone kind of a weapon.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #33

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
trip, funny thing is, no 50BMG rifle in law abiding citizens hands has ever been used in any illegal activity. so where do these idiots get their info?
This in particular came after the movie "SWAT" was released. Remember the scene where the BGs shot down a helicopter? It made someone in the Cali gov pee pee in their panties, and that's where that whole thing came from. The movie and the fact that a helo was shot down in the movie was specifically mentioned when that particular pansy got on the TV talking about it.

Yes, it makes me want to get a Barrett too. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to save for quite a while longer.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20914 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
This in particular came after the movie "SWAT" was released. Remember the scene where the BGs shot down a helicopter? It made someone in the Cali gov pee pee in their panties, and that's where that whole thing came from. The movie and the fact that a helo was shot down in the movie was specifically mentioned when that particular pansy got on the TV talking about it.

Yes, it makes me want to get a Barrett too. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to save for quite a while longer.
my mother and one of my brothers live in california, they have tried to get me to move out there. ain't no way! i would have to get rid of over half my gun collection! no thank you, i'll stay in texas.

i'll have to save for quite a while for the Barrett too, but i still want one!

Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #35

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I had a rough time in Texas, but I would definitely be living there before Cali...

Old 10-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #36

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
So I take it that all the classic sniper rifles are "obsolete"? Can any of them stand with the modern ones? I seen the 91/30 mentioned, but what about the SVD or a 1903 sniper?
Not obsetete by any means. The cartridges were replaced w/ Nato, or Com-blok rounds. The PSL was used by the Iraqi army, still is. The M76 is still used also. '98 Mausers and M48 rifles were both used in the conflicts between the former Yugoslavian states. The biggest limitation of most classic sniper rifles is the use of a 4x scope. There were some 6x and 8x, but they are not common. The Russian Tiger is an updated SVD.
Some may call them obselete, but I would not want to be within 800 meters of one. They can bring a world of hurt on real fast. I have 1 modern "sniper".

It was intended for a PD here in NH, but came in without the correct stamps. I bought it at cost. The scope I put on it is not as simple as the classic sniper scopes I have. I need to do some calculations before hitting the field w/ it. My old originals are graduated from 100 meters to 800/1000 meters because they are cammed for the cartridge. The PSL w/ its' manual range finder takes all the guess work out of it. 800 meters is 1/2 a mile or .8 of a kilometer. Just under 900 yards.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #37

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

vincine, 6069 miles at 17 degrees from tucson, ar to moscow, russia

MarineWaypoints.com - Great Circle Distance Calculator

Old 10-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #38
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1680 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
vincine, 6069 miles at 17 degrees from tucson, ar to moscow, russia

MarineWaypoints.com - Great Circle Distance Calculator
Thanks for the link.

Actually now that I think about, my friend was only very good, theoretically.

He did hit the Pacific Ocean once, from Vandenberg AF base I think. I don’t think that counts because it was such a big target and it was right next door. He used to practice loading, unloading, and reloading the same round all the time. He dry fired it a lot too, but only when it was an empty shell in the chamber.

Last edited by Vincine; 10-24-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #39

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a custom built 7 mm mag, a dakota arms 338 lapua and a remington 700 tactical .308. Out of them all id take the 7 mag. Mainly cuz i can out shoot most people w it out to bout 900 yards and cuz iv got the most time w it. I like the other two but the 338 is a bit heavy IMO. Thats just me though.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:31 AM   #40

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Didn't this happen just pretty recently too?
Yes it was in November of 2009. I'm sure there are many great rifles around that will do this sort of thing but I have to vote for the AI rifles right now because of this incident. It may not be fair to consider the greatest sniper shot as the criteria to evaluate the greatest sniper rifle and cartridge but it sure doesn't hurt. All the conditions had to be perfect for that shot including being at high altitude but the fact that two people were killed and the machine gun was taken out certainly gives a certain amount of credibility to that rifle. I wouldn't be surprised to see that record broken though. With so many mountain to mountain shots taking place I see a lot of chances for recording setting shots but then I've never been there so what do I know.