Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 06:41 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
M-200 CheyTac Intervention, using the .406
Actually it's a .408 CheyTac.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #22
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1599 Times on 832 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

Default Best sniper caliber?

I once had a workmate who was VERY good. He could hit Moscow from Tucson. Google Maps can’t tell me how far, but I think it’s pretty far. The caliber he used was Titian II. Rifle was really big through.

Old 10-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #23

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 669

It really comes down to what the shooter is comfortable with. 7.62x51 is a great all around option. I still like the classic snipers in 6.5x55, 8x57, 7.62x54r. No fleas on them.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:09 PM   #24

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
The .408 is a dead round, atleast it should be. The .416 is superior in every single way to the .408. It has a better ballistic coefficient, more power, and more range. The .416 is still supersonic (yes, supersonic) at 2500 yards

Objectively, the best mass produced (atleast to some degree) round out there is the .416 Barret.

The best rifle is a whole different ballgame, and is something that is very difficult to quantify, accuracy isn't the only thing in the game, you have weight, size, portability, accuracy (of course) capacity, concealibility, reliability... etc.
Both are proprietary rounds and neither is "dead" or "dying" anytime soon.

But a closed bolt single action is always going to be more accurate than a semi automatic platform like the Barrett.

The Chey-Tac .408, right now, is the most accurate performer on the block.

While the .416 has appeal to some, it's still just as much a "closet" round as the C-Tac was a few years ago before they took the World Title for tightest group.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19517 Times on 11079 Posts
Likes Given: 49147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Both are proprietary rounds and neither is "dead" or "dying" anytime soon.

But a closed bolt single action is always going to be more accurate than a semi automatic platform like the Barrett.

The Chey-Tac .408, right now, is the most accurate performer on the block.

While the .416 has appeal to some, it's still just as much a "closet" round as the C-Tac was a few years ago before they took the World Title for tightest group.
the .416 was also made to come under the radar because california outlawed private citizen possession of any rifle chambered in 50BMG! i have even read some reviewers saying the .416 has better ballistics than the same rifle chambered in 50BMG. Barrett also suspended all LEA sales of rifles to california. wow, it really sucks to live in california if you are a gunowner!

Barrett did make a bolt action 50BMG rifle too, i don't know if they still do or not, but it was the one the military used before they started using the sem auto Barrett.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:09 PM   #26

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

So I take it that all the classic sniper rifles are "obsolete"? Can any of them stand with the modern ones? I seen the 91/30 mentioned, but what about the SVD or a 1903 sniper?

Old 10-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #27

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
the .416 was also made to come under the radar because california outlawed private citizen possession of any rifle chambered in 50BMG! i have even read some reviewers saying the .416 has better ballistics than the same rifle chambered in 50BMG. Barrett also suspended all LEA sales of rifles to california. wow, it really sucks to live in california if you are a gunowner!

Barrett did make a bolt action 50BMG rifle too, i don't know if they still do or not, but it was the one the military used before they started using the sem auto Barrett.
Ronnie Barrett personally made that call to protest the fact that the PRK was demonizing his rifles to the public, blaming them for terrorist acts, outlawing ownership of them by the common citizen, and yet still buying them for LEA's, and sending in those owned by LEA's for maintenance and repairs.

Ronnie Barrett also began seizing those rifles sent in by LEA's for the maint. and repairs, claiming that they were damaged beyond repair, and sending them a refund.

He said, that if their government wants to treat it's people and his product that way, and still expect service from him and his company, they could kiss his A$$.

So Kudos on Barrett. The man and the company.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #28

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

http://www.youtube.com/user/mag30th#p/u/7/t2M1hC4c0tc
This guy also has video of some outrageous shots with all kinds of other milsurp snipers too.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #29

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

For long range shooting the Rem. 260 or 6.5X51 is gaining popularity the last few years.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:14 PM   #30
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19517 Times on 11079 Posts
Likes Given: 49147

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Ronnie Barrett personally made that call to protest the fact that the PRK was demonizing his rifles to the public, blaming them for terrorist acts, outlawing ownership of them by the common citizen, and yet still buying them for LEA's, and sending in those owned by LEA's for maintenance and repairs.

Ronnie Barrett also began seizing those rifles sent in by LEA's for the maint. and repairs, claiming that they were damaged beyond repair, and sending them a refund.

He said, that if their government wants to treat it's people and his product that way, and still expect service from him and his company, they could kiss his A$$.

So Kudos on Barrett. The man and the company.
awesome! makes me want a Barrett rifle just to support his company and philosophy.