Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber? - Page 26
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 02:44 AM   #251
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
This morning was slow,my daughter got a real good antalope buck. As the norm in wyoming by the time we had it dressed an caped out the wind was blowin like hell. We did see several decent muley bucks an a few small raghorn bull elk but was unable to get on them hope tomorrow morning is the day
mulie, the wind here in East Texas was blowing like crazy today too. i hope it's better tomorrow, because my dad and i want to do some target shooting. hope you have better luck tomorrow. good luck hunting and bag one for me!

Old 11-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #252

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

mulie, the wind here in East Texas was blowing like crazy today too. i hope it's better tomorrow, because my dad and i want to do some target shooting. hope you have better luck tomorrow. good luck hunting and bag one for me!
Thanks for the luck there axxe. Great to hear u an yer dad are gonna get some range time in to,those are the best days one could ask for. Ok im gonna call it a day, have to be up at 4, I have a big buck tied to a tree lol have fun an be safe

Old 11-13-2011, 03:55 AM   #253

Quote:
Thanks for the luck there axxe. Great to hear u an yer dad are gonna get some range time in to,those are the best days one could ask for. Ok im gonna call it a day, have to be up at 4, I have a big buck tied to a tree lol have fun an be safe
have fun mulie, and good luck.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #254

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wow, this thread has some serious mileage on it! That is what it is all about.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #255

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
Nice post EagleSix...out of curiosity: with regard to the example rifle you pictured, do you think wood is the best stock material? In my own experience from hunting deer I have used wood and polymer rifles. I think synthetic wins hands-down. I just wonder if there are qualities of wood that make preferable to a military sniper.
cswann, I can think of none. There will never again be military rifles with wood stocks, at least not on any new designs for any major armies. Synthetic materials and aluminum inserts are almost the perfect stocking material for military specs; strong, light, durable, inexpensive and easy to manufacture on a large scale. Better than stampings and just as ugly or pretty, from a distance, as wood. Probably current and for sure new generations of soldier most likely will not miss the wood.

Even though the original M40's were glass bedded, still the wood stock platform can not compete with a rigid synthetic stock like the H-S Precision. This would be especially true in the military war environment and the extreme treatment military grade rifles receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Eaglesix, that post was soothing to the soul.

cswann, you didn't ask me, but I'll throw my opinion out there on wood vs synthetics. I like the warmth and feel of a good wooden stock. There's almost something spiritual about it. All synthetics feel cheap to me, regardless of the actual quality. Something about the craftmanship that goes into some wood stocks. In the case of Dakota Rifles, it's almost like you can feel the effort that an artisan has put into it.

Now to remove emotion from the equation, synthetics seem to be more durable, and definitely are less affected by weather and other environmental factors.
trip, Thank You for the kind word. I fully agree with your your opinion on wood verses synthetic stocks. Even though future military soldiers will probably not miss wood stock battle rifles, I think future generations will always enjoy and admire fine wood stocked rifles. I hope to see more wood stocks with aluminum receiver insert blocks for sporting and replica rifles. This would reduce the cost of manufacturing wood stocks, provide a more stable platform not obtainable with glass bedding or pillar bedding, yet still allow the craftsman to perform their art on the outside, the side we see, feel and smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
EagleSix, my only comment is that is one fine looking rifle.
Thanks Blue, I agree.....and I wish that were mine! Although that is my favorite in the context of Trez's OP, that is the example M40 Model 700 Vietnam Commemorative special edition with the engraved signature of Chuck Mawhinney, renowned Marine sniper. The closest I have is a wanna-be, M700 PSS in a H-S Sedero type stock and Leupold scope......from a distance looks similar, but not even close to the original. Well, it shoots like the original, maybe better!!

Quote:
This morning was slow,my daughter got a real good antalope buck. As the norm in wyoming by the time we had it dressed an caped out the wind was blowin like hell. We did see several decent muley bucks an a few small raghorn bull elk but was unable to get on them hope tomorrow morning is the day
Mulie, that really took us off topic, but I am one that really enjoyed your hunting exchange. I think it added some calm to the previous contention in this thread. Thanks for sharing and hope the hunt goes well.....and please give your daughter a hi-five from us!

Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #256

Liked 2491 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Yes I am. An M40 .338? I doubt it very much. I've pulled the trigger on more game then anything else. That makes it easy to sleep. I am so tired of the wanna be "snipers" long range experts That own a hunter and think they are better then sliced white bread. Yes I am that old. I'll make a bet. You wanna be's take your whizz bang mag w/ a commercail scope out to 800 yards. I'll take my 1moa old school. Lets see who hits 10 targets faster at varying distance from 200 to 800 yards. Bet my rifle I beat you. That is fact! I will beat you handley. I'll even bet you can't hit 4 before I'm done w/ 10. I'm an old guy, so I'll use an old rifle. Maybe even an Iron sight to give you a chance. I'm so tired of the BS of the internet wanna be's, Show me these extreme feats of marksmanship. I'm O.K. not good. No sighting in, no practice on the range. You do the math in your head, or your rifle is set up to do it for you. No external ballistics help. No electronics. My Rifle for yours.
I've gotta agree, a lotta talk from folks who haven't shot 100 or 150 yards,

let alone sniper distances.

I'm past my prime, doubt I'll ever do much more than a little boar hunting at this point,

but I have to admit if I had to do it personally, I'd be more likely to

want a 3-4 shot rapid burst, rather than a single shot...

Last edited by therewolf; 11-13-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #257

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
cswann, I can think of none. There will never again be military rifles with wood stocks, at least not on any new designs for any major armies. Synthetic materials and aluminum inserts are almost the perfect stocking material for military specs; strong, light, durable, inexpensive and easy to manufacture on a large scale. Better than stampings and just as ugly or pretty, from a distance, as wood. Probably current and for sure new generations of soldier most likely will not miss the wood.
This makes me sad.....
I like the simplicity and look (the long forearm that covers the whole barrel) of the old mil-surps. I think they feel better too.. I like how different the military rifles are.. A Mauser doesnt look like a Mosin, doesnt look like a 1903, doesnt look like a M1, etc. They may share some designs but you can tell what one is unlike a lot of "modern" guns.... (Kinda like old cars...)
A part of it too is, how much the people who used these "got done" with out all the modern technology...

As for the "magic sniper gun" .... Having a better rifle does help.. The last time I was at the local range, I met a professional benchrest shooter and he let me try a few of his guns.. Every one was tuned and had ammo for specific ranges, next to no trigger pull, optics that made 500yds look 50 ft away, and who knows what else..... Where you aimed it shot exactly, even if you missed you knew exactly where the bullet was going... It was almost like cheating!!
It was nothing like my WWII Mosin and its 2.5x scope thats for sure!!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
This makes me sad.....
I like the simplicity and look (the long forearm that covers the whole barrel) of the old mil-surps. I think they feel better too.. I like how different the military rifles are.. A Mauser doesnt look like a Mosin, doesnt look like a 1903, doesnt look like a M1, etc. They may share some designs but you can tell what one is unlike a lot of "modern" guns.... (Kinda like old cars...)
A part of it too is, how much the people who used these "got done" with out all the modern technology...

As for the "magic sniper gun" .... Having a better rifle does help.. The last time I was at the local range, I met a professional benchrest shooter and he let me try a few of his guns.. Every one was tuned and had ammo for specific ranges, next to no trigger pull, optics that made 500yds look 50 ft away, and who knows what else..... Where you aimed it shot exactly, even if you missed you knew exactly where the bullet was going... It was almost like cheating!!
It was nothing like my WWII Mosin and its 2.5x scope thats for sure!!
trez, the old rifles have their own personality and have something the newer ones don't, history. you hold an old military rifle in your hands, and can only wonder who held it before, or where it has been. what battles it might have seen. i wish you luck with your collecting.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #259

Liked 2491 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

That's what really gets me about the old milsurp, the history.

Just knowing you're holding a rifle which was on the battlefield

in WWII, or a rifle which has 20 million copies worldwide, is fun

for me. It gives the whole experience more substance.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #260

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
I thought the OP was rather specific actually. (BTW, I chuckled over your "one smarta$$" post). The OP asked opinions, not "right answers". He inquired which is the best sniper rifle and caliber. Excluding the 50 cal, and further clarified military, not civilian, criminals, murders, assassins, or LEO. There are not thousands of these, probably a couple hundred. I think that is a rather specific field to choose from.

"So what do you think is the best sniper rifle and caliber?
Its gotta been used or adopted by a military and excluding the .50 (Its kinda in a class of their own dont you think?) The rifle and caliber dont necessarily have to match.. "
I should have been more clear, I realize that the OP asked for opinions BUT those who answered decided to discredit people opinions and it became about the "right answer" not just varied opinions.

This is not bashing the poster, certainly the military aspect is specific and objective but "best" is extremely subjective ... "best" in what way? Best range, best accuracy (that opens another can of worms) or even best looking wood grain in the stock ... that is why I said it was not specific. Everybody will use different criteria regarding "best".
That being said I would have enjoyed an open discussion bringing in many areas of "best" but then got into personal attacks on people's "credentials" and turned into a mess.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?