Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber? - Page 25
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #241
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
I have a dakota model 10 in 257 roberts that was my fathers rifle. The rifle is so beautiful, so very well made. If my dad was still here I would give anything for 1 more chance to see him drop an antalope with it as I did years ago
Yeah, you just made me jealous you jerk A Dakota is like a holy grail for me. Seems I missed the point though, my condolences.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #242

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Yeah, you just made me jealous you jerk A Dakota is like a holy grail for me.
Im sorry for tha then. I was blessed by having a grand father an father that were avid gun collectors. When they passed I kept evry one of them to make sure my children will be handed all of my memmories, as my grandfather an father did for me

Old 11-13-2011, 01:25 AM   #243

Quote:
Im sorry for tha then. I was blessed by having a grand father an father that were avid gun collectors. When they passed I kept evry one of them to make sure my children will be handed all of my memmories, as my grandfather an father did for me
That kind of came out a bit wrong, even with the smiley. Sorry for your loss man.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:28 AM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06
There ya go. Should be able to now
Hey carlsbad today was so so in wyoming, my daughter took a great antalope buck, by the time we were done with the cuttin an gettin the cape ready, the wind was rockin blowin like h*ll so no huntin for me today. But we did see several decent muley bucks an a few bull elk. All small raghorn bulls tho

Old 11-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #245

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Eaglesix, that post was soothing to the soul.

cswann, you didn't ask me, but I'll throw my opinion out there on wood vs synthetics. I like the warmth and feel of a good wooden stock. There's almost something spiritual about it. All synthetics feel cheap to me, regardless of the actual quality. Something about the craftmanship that goes into some wood stocks. In the case of Dakota Rifles, it's almost like you can feel the effort that an artisan has put into it.

Now to remove emotion from the equation, synthetics seem to be more durable, and definitely are less affected by weather and other environmental factors.

I get the aesthetic attraction of wood. In all things crafted wood just adds something special. But in the end my guns are tools, and my hunting tools...doubly so. The recoil dampening quality alone is reason enough for me to choose a synthetic.

Now, my pool cues are truly works of art. There are a lot of folks that play serious pool and there choice of cue is 100% driven by what they perceive as performance. Some are still attractive to me, while others look like nothing but a marketing gimmick and in my opinion play like one too.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
I get the aesthetic attraction of wood. In all things crafted wood just adds something special. But in the end my guns are tools, and my hunting tools...doubly so. The recoil dampening quality alone is reason enough for me to choose a synthetic.

Now, my pool cues are truly works of art. There are a lot of folks that play serious pool and there choice of cue is 100% driven by what they perceive as performance. Some are still attractive to me, while others look like nothing but a marketing gimmick and in my opinion play like one too.
Yes, even I have to agree that synthetics seem to perform better. I cant bring myself really like them though.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #247

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

EagleSix, my only comment is that is one fine looking rifle.

Last edited by BlueTurf; 11-13-2011 at 02:34 AM.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #248
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Yes, even I have to agree that synthetics seem to perform better. I cant bring myself really like them though.
well i have to offer my two cents too. i like the craftsmanship in a fine wood stock, the attention to detail, the warmth of the wood, the grain and no two are ever identical. now i like the synthetic for its ability to not move or warp with rain, snow, hot or cold weather, it's just practical and functional. might be why i like to dress them up in camo paintjobs, rather than leave them black. but they will never have the dignity that a wood stock does.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:16 AM   #249
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
mulie, that's a fine legacy to have, and am happy that you are going to pass it on to your children. my father likes to shoot and owns some guns, but he never really cared for hunting. so i did in a way get my love of guns from him, but i probably own four times as many as he has ever had. but he has some that he's had for over forty years. i buy some, trade up or for something different all the time. BTW, did you get any deer on your hunt, or just the elks?

Old 11-13-2011, 03:37 AM   #250

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

mulie, that's a fine legacy to have, and am happy that you are going to pass it on to your children. my father likes to shoot and owns some guns, but he never really cared for hunting. so i did in a way get my love of guns from him, but i probably own four times as many as he has ever had. but he has some that he's had for over forty years. i buy some, trade up or for something different all the time. BTW, did you get any deer on your hunt, or just the elks?
This morning was slow,my daughter got a real good antalope buck. As the norm in wyoming by the time we had it dressed an caped out the wind was blowin like hell. We did see several decent muley bucks an a few small raghorn bull elk but was unable to get on them hope tomorrow morning is the day