Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber? - Page 21
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #201
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6822 Times on 3625 Posts
Likes Given: 513

too many nitpicks on the term "sniper". in terms of collecting there are sniper rifles. rifles issued to military snipers.

the most affordable is the mosin 91/30 pu types. everything else that is an actual real one are north of 2k$.

the best route is likely collecting reprodructions. 1903 M1D M1 carbine mauser and such replicas can be had for under 2k$ and are shooters. can even get combloc replicas in the form of the PSL which is roughly similar in appearance to a svd.

modern snipers are even easier to replicate but prices of the scopes are a little north of 1200$ on the cheap end.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #202

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So collectors should call them "Sniper's" rifles. Lol just saying.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #203

Liked 950 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno702 View Post

This is what I was replying to. If you want milsurp rifles, that's your choice. There's a lot of diff rifles that were used. Even the m14 was used by snipers in Vietnam. You think that gun was really special in 1966? Probably so. It's the times were in now. More technology= more options for your rifle. My uncle was a sniper in the cold war and used a sweedish 7mm. He says the only diff then was his scope and his training. Regular gun with a big scope and mil. Issued ammo. So what makes it a sniper rifle???
From what I understand "sniper" variants are hand picked from the standard rifles for having better accuracy, and then made into the sniper variants, they just didnt pick any old gun on the shelf...
What makes it a sniper rifle? It was made by a military and issued to a sniper...

I'll see if that "if it doesn't belong to a sniper than its not a sniper rifle" comment works when I try to go buy one... I bet it wont lower the price....

Old 11-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
too many nitpicks on the term "sniper". in terms of collecting there are sniper rifles. rifles issued to military snipers.

the most affordable is the mosin 91/30 pu types. everything else that is an actual real one are north of 2k$.

the best route is likely collecting reprodructions. 1903 M1D M1 carbine mauser and such replicas can be had for under 2k$ and are shooters. can even get combloc replicas in the form of the PSL which is roughly similar in appearance to a svd.

modern snipers are even easier to replicate but prices of the scopes are a little north of 1200$ on the cheap end.
How are the 1903 sniper replicas? are they made from old '03's or are they all modern manufacture?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #205
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6822 Times on 3625 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
How are the 1903 sniper replicas? are they made from old '03's or are they all modern manufacture?
depends on who is replicating them. gibbs rifles for instance are just old parade recievers rewelded and refinished with a new barrel.

aim surplus uses old surplus recievers and new modern barrels with replica scopes.

if i was gonna do the replica thing i would hunt for a rifle that was sporterized but not had the reciver drilled or find a beater to restore and then have a new barrel mounted and then drilled tapped for the correct scope mount and find a scope. make a project of it.

i think aim surplus has replica 1903A4 varients around 1k$ but i dont know for sure how good they are. im interested in one myself and trying to find reliable info on em from a source that isnt aim surplus
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 11-10-2011, 06:10 PM   #206

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Im done arguing semantics... I am no sniper, have no plans to be, I just want to collect the guns for their historical significance..
To those who think there isnt a difference.. Ill give you $300 for a scoped 1903 like the one in the picture... After all its just a scoped '03 since it doesnt belong to a sniper anymore....

Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber? - General Rifle Discussion
Aw dang! That is one sick rifle! I've got to get me one of those!

Old 11-10-2011, 07:19 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
depends on who is replicating them. gibbs rifles for instance are just old parade recievers rewelded and refinished with a new barrel.

aim surplus uses old surplus recievers and new modern barrels with replica scopes.

if i was gonna do the replica thing i would hunt for a rifle that was sporterized but not had the reciver drilled or find a beater to restore and then have a new barrel mounted and then drilled tapped for the correct scope mount and find a scope. make a project of it.

i think aim surplus has replica 1903A4 varients around 1k$ but i dont know for sure how good they are. im interested in one myself and trying to find reliable info on em from a source that isnt aim surplus
If you find out how the quallity is let me know...

I was actually debating whether not to build my own.. I built my Mosin, but it was using all authentic WWII parts... I was lucky enough to find a unissued scope from 1942 and even found a 1942 Mosin with the sniper acceptance marks that never was made into a "sniper"

1903 sporters can be found quite frequently for $100-$300.. How hard would it be to find the parts to make it a sniper? Is there any more authentic parts out there, or just repros left?

Old 11-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #208

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

axxe55, a lot of shooters really do go out and buy expensive rifles and scopes and expect that this alone will make them good shots. I see guys do this at the gun shops all the time. A friend of mine who is an FFL told me people ask him to order these rifles thinking that this is all they need to shoot well. I know of one guy who spent big bucks, probably a lot more than he should have, for a nice rifle and scope and expected to suddenly be a deadeye shot. He still couldn't shoot very good. I was surprised at how poorly he maintained this nice rifle. He never cleaned it. All of the serious shooters I ever met took very good care of their rifles. Okay, as far as collecting "sniper rifles", I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whatever makes the collector happy is the right gun.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #209

Liked 9213 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Okay, enough of this sh%$. It's not my argument, but I'm going to try to lay this out to stop the damn nitpicking, the back and forth arguing, and the BS.

Trez wants to collect milsurp sniper rifles, or at least start with a good one. Plain and simple.

You can take any damn milsurp, slap a effing scope on it and call it a sniper rifle. You can do the same with any new production commercial gun. THIS IS NOT THE M EFFING IDEA HERE.

He is talking about the rifles, military surplus, that were built, supplied, modified, and issued, under military contract as "sniper weapon systems".

This does not mean a Rem 700 that was bought and accurized and used during hunting season by a retired Marine sniper. Or a competition rifle that has been accurized and accessorized beyond belief by a commercial factory.

A good example is this:
The Rem 700 mentioned above-> Not what the hell he is talking about.
An M1D as issued, or as it was intended to be issued, for military service-> Yes. This is the kind of rifle Trez is looking for.

I'll say it again. Military surplus "Sniper Variants" ARE NOT THE SAME as a surplus with a modern scope. They ARE NOT THE SAME as a modern rifle with a scope. They ARE NOT THE SAME as the MYTHICAL SNIPER RIFLE OF HOLLYWOOD that will automatically make someone an expert marksman.

As to the mythical hollywood rifle, Trez has already mentioned (to paraphrase) that he understands that there is no such beast, and that he is not necessarily looking for a rifle that is going to magically make him shoot better.

To keep arguing the point, is asinine, childish, and frankly stupid.

Yes, I think we can all agree that a "sniper rifle" and a sniper are 2 different things. Obviously one is a piece of wood and steel, and is completely and totally useless without the right person behind the trigger.

Just one more thing that will hopefully drive this point a little further in... I have a Tula Arsenal Mosin Nagant 91/30, and my BFF (yeah that's right, I used that term, we've been best buds since 8th grade, we're now almost 30) has a russian built AK. Does this make either one of us Russian? No. The tool doesn't make the man (not that tool anyway). Me and my bud understand this, and so does Trez. Leave the man alone unless your giving an opinion on a issued sniper rifle in regards to prices, quality, and availability, and stop dogging him like this. It's bull****.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #210

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Agreed trip286. It was never my intention to dog anyone. Your point was understood.