Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber? - Page 17
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #161
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix

Carlsbad, I was issued an M-14. I was a year ahead of your dad and that is all they had at the time I was there, or better stated, that is what my unit had to issue.

I have a question, what is your MOS (mine was 11B40)? The Army, currently has a sniper MOS, is that correct? Did your dad have a sniper MOS? Probably not, as I think even when they attended sniper school in the late 60's they were still 11Bravo. I guess I could look this up, but beings how you are Ranger qualified and assigned, you would know better than any Google source.

......and while I'm here....Thank You and your dad for your service.

Eagle, my MOS identifier is 11B3VW3. Before I went through SOTIC it was 11B3VB4.

Of course, the 11B is for Infantryman. The 3 is because I am a Staff Sergeant. "V" is for Airborne Ranger, and W3 denotes that I went through the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course.

As far as I know, there isn't a strictly "Sniper" MOS. To attend Sniper School, a soldier must be Ina combat MOS, along with a few other requirements.
image-4100996151.png  

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-06-2011, 08:48 PM   #162

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsbadRanger06 View Post
Eagle, my MOS identifier is 11B3VW3. Before I went through SOTIC it was 11B3VB4.

Of course, the 11B is for Infantryman. The 3 is because I am a Staff Sergeant. "V" is for Airborne Ranger, and W3 denotes that I went through the Special Operations Target Interdiction Course.

As far as I know, there isn't a strictly "Sniper" MOS. To attend Sniper School, a soldier must be Ina combat MOS, along with a few other requirements.
Thanks Carlsbad, I appreciate the information, and it may help me in the future with the wannabe's I occasionally run into.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #163

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix

Thanks Carlsbad, I appreciate the information, and it may help me in the future with the wannabe's I occasionally run into.

No problem..... If you run into any wannabe's, just tell them that the Stolen Valor Act warrants up to ten years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine if they are impersonating real soldiers or are lying for publicity or personal gains....

There was a guy here in Savannah, GA that was claiming to have been a Major in the Ranger Battalion during the conflict in Somalia. He even used it in his pamphlets for his hunting guide/survival training services.

He's currently sitting in prison; turned out he was aN ENLISTED desk POG in the mid 90's and COULD barely qualify with his M16!

"Adjust your DOPE Sergeant! No! Not the pills in your pocket, idiot! That stuff that lets you hit your target Sunshine!"

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 11-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #164
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
No problem..... If you run into any wannabe's, just tell them that the Stolen Valor Act warrants up to ten years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine if they are impersonating real soldiers or are lying for publicity or personal gains....

There was a guy here in Savannah, GA that was claiming to have been a Major in the Ranger Battalion during the conflict in Somalia. He even used it in his pamphlets for his hunting guide/survival training services.

He's currently sitting in prison; turned out he was aN ENLISTED desk POG in the mid 90's and COULD barely qualify with his M16!
carlsbad, that was IMO one of the better laws ever passed. men who serve or have served our country should not have to an association with wannabe's and poser's. you got your respect the right way, you earned it. good luck.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #165

Quote:

I used to work at a position and run into more Marine Force Recon vets, than probably the total number of Marines!! Also, had a lot of snipers, SF, SOF, Delta, and you name it, oh yea SEALs.....it was a magnet for those types. At the time I was kind of on the hunt and had various ways of letting these guys work themselves into a corner. I don't run into many anymore, but I like to keep my ammo ready for them, just in case.

Damn......again I apologize for hijacking the thread!!

Old 11-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #166

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have seen my share of wannabes and heard their bullcrap stories. I remember one guy in particular who claimed he was a Ranger and part of the ill-fated mission to rescue the hostages being held in Iran in 1979. He sat there and told us all about what happened on this mission. He even claimed that the CIA deliberately blew up one of our own planes to ruin the mission. Normally I would dismiss this as the usual crap but this time I called him on it. When I asked him to specify a few things he responded that he couldn't answer the questions because it was "classified".

I am so glad to see the Stolen Valor Act enacted. Something needs to be in place to prevent frauds from profiting off the acts of real veterans and heroes. I am sure that since 9/11 there are a lot of firefighter wannabes out there also.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #167

Liked 734 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I have seen my share of wannabes and heard their bullcrap stories. I remember one guy in particular who claimed he was a Ranger and part of the ill-fated mission to rescue the hostages being held in Iran in 1979. He sat there and told us all about what happened on this mission. He even claimed that the CIA deliberately blew up one of our own planes to ruin the mission. Normally I would dismiss this as the usual crap but this time I called him on it. When I asked him to specify a few things he responded that he couldn't answer the questions because it was "classified".

I am so glad to see the Stolen Valor Act enacted. Something needs to be in place to prevent frauds from profiting off the acts of real veterans and heroes. I am sure that since 9/11 there are a lot of firefighter wannabes out there also.
I thought Helicopters were used? I was in High School at the time, so I may be incorrect, but I don't think I am.
A good topic, but again, how is related to Sniper rifles/calibers?

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #168

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I guess I got caught up in the energy that took this thread off course. I will try to be careful to avoid that. I check some of the posts because they can be quite entertaining at times, and at other times not so much. Some of these topics sure do get a lot of mileage. As far as the mission I mentioned they also used at least one C-130, but it doesn't matter in this case because the wannabe was lying.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:03 PM   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I thought Helicopters were used? I was in High School at the time, so I may be incorrect, but I don't think I am.
A good topic, but again, how is related to Sniper rifles/calibers?
....your absolutely right and it's my fault for getting wwaayy off topic. No excuse, I know better!!

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #170

Liked 734 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTurf View Post
I guess I got caught up in the energy that took this thread off course. I will try to be careful to avoid that. I check some of the posts because they can be quite entertaining at times, and at other times not so much. Some of these topics sure do get a lot of mileage. As far as the mission I mentioned they also used at least one C-130, but it doesn't matter in this case because the wannabe was lying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleSix View Post
....your absolutely right and it's my fault for getting wwaayy off topic. No excuse, I know better!!

We all get emotional remembering back sometimes. That is being human. This is a topic that is begging for controversy, opinions, bantering. I'm a serious old school guy. My favorites are The M41b, PSL/FPK, PU91/30, K98 low turret, G3A3ZF. I just can't see why some need to bring target rifles into a subject that really has nothing to do with them. OK, so my old school rifles are 1moa shooters. At 400 yards they still have at least 2" on the average melon. 800 yards, center mass. In Theory of course. I'm just dumbfounded at the logic that they are antiquated. I can still shoot. Just for fun these days. I'm fine w/ 400 yards whether it be game or targets that react, not paper. Frozen pumpkins are best!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.