Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Best Sniper Rifle.. Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 AM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
Are you not familiar with the Savage F class and F/TR rifles? Both shoot in competition against custom built rifles and win quite often. And we're talking off the shelf rifles shooting at 1000 yards. I suggest you read the news release on this web page. Here's a quote from there:
Thats because savage makes the best rifles in the world under $3000.....

Flame on

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 11-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #92

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
Thats because savage makes the best rifles in the world under $3000.....

Flame on
This is from a guy that says "God made men, John Browning made the equal"? Everyone knows it was Samuel Colt!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:23 AM   #93

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Some people like semi-autos apparently.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:49 AM   #94
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20846 Times on 11850 Posts
Likes Given: 52387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff56 View Post
Are you not familiar with the Savage F class and F/TR rifles? Both shoot in competition against custom built rifles and win quite often. And we're talking off the shelf rifles shooting at 1000 yards. I suggest you read the news release on this web page. Here's a quote from there:
look at who they are shooting for, Team Savage! do you expect them to say something different? i'm not saying savage rifles are not accurate, but you don't go shooting accurately at 1000 yards with off the shelf rifles. those rifles may say savage on them and savage rifles can be very accurate at very long distances, but not off the shelf. those rifles are probably accurized and tuned by a gunsmith and shoot handloaded ammo. if someone believes they can walk into a LGS, wal-mart, or cabelas and buy a new gun off the shelf, pick up a box of ammo and start shooting accurately at a 1000 yrds, then i have some swampland that i will sell them as beach front property!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:06 AM   #95

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
look at who they are shooting for, Team Savage! do you expect them to say something different? i'm not saying savage rifles are not accurate, but you don't go shooting accurately at 1000 yards with off the shelf rifles. those rifles may say savage on them and savage rifles can be very accurate at very long distances, but not off the shelf. those rifles are probably accurized and tuned by a gunsmith and shoot handloaded ammo. if someone believes they can walk into a LGS, wal-mart, or cabelas and buy a new gun off the shelf, pick up a box of ammo and start shooting accurately at a 1000 yrds, then i have some swampland that i will sell them as beach front property!
That depends on your definition of accuracy. If 6-8 inches at 1000 yards is accurate than yes, you certainly can go to a walmart and buy a rifle capable of that.

I consider that plenty accurate enough for just about any practical application. Savages f/tr rifles are plenty capable of significantly better than that. Other manufacturers make rifles easily capable of that or better as well (TC Icon warlord, for instance. These are actually gaurunteed to do .5 moa or better).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
This is from a guy that says "God made men, John Browning made the equal"? Everyone knows it was Samuel Colt!
I wanted to put them both, but that would have sounded stupid lol

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2 View Post
That depends on your definition of accuracy. If 6-8 inches at 1000 yards is accurate than yes, you certainly can go to a walmart and buy a rifle capable of that.

I consider that plenty accurate enough for just about any practical application. Savages f/tr rifles are plenty capable of significantly better than that. Other manufacturers make rifles easily capable of that or better as well (TC Icon warlord, for instance. These are actually gaurunteed to do .5 moa or better).

okay let's put this into perspective based on what you stated. i can go to wal-mart and buy an off the shelf rifle that is capable of 6-8" group at 1000 yrds? or buy the T/C Icon Warlord for $3500 that is capable of 4-5" groups at 1000 yards? so if i can go to wal-mart and spend, say, $500 on an off the shelf rifle, why spend $3000 more to only gain 2-3" smaller group? and you really think that an off the shelf rifle bought at some chain store is capable of a 6-8" group at 1000 yrds? not likely. and even if possible, how can T/C justify the other $3000 for the rifle? and we haven't even put a scope on it yet!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #97

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory2

Thanks there cory2 no savage shot by team savage is a off the shelf build they r custom built every step of the way yes savage r good shooters but team savage off the shelf get real people

Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM   #98

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

My Savage 10FP shoots very well right out of the box. I put a big 50mm Bushnell scope on it. I call it my bargain basement sniper rifle. In all seriousness I know my rifle, with me shooting it, cannot even begin to be classified as true professional sniper material. But, it is fun to shoot and I can pretend all I want. If I were in the business I think I might want the Barrett in .416. Of course the .50 is great also. The .308/7.62 has a proven track record, along with the 30-06. They are all fun to shoot for us amateurs.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #99

anyone who walks into a gun store, or wal-mart, or cabela's or gander mountain and buys a rifle off the shelf, buys a box of shells and expects to go out and shoot accurately and consistently at 1000 yrds, is delusional. benchrest shooters, competition shooters, military and LE snipers, all spend many hours shooting and have very specilized rifles and have access to the best equipment that money can buy. many manufactures make very accurate rifles off the shelf, and with some of the newer ammo available can be very capable and accurate hunting rifles. everything in life equates to money spent, if you want a car to go fast, then you spend lots of dollars for horsepower and handling. if you want to shoot very long ranges, you spend lots of dollars on rifles, scopes and reloading.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM   #100

Liked 301 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
anyone who walks into a gun store, or wal-mart, or cabela's or gander mountain and buys a rifle off the shelf, buys a box of shells and expects to go out and shoot accurately and consistently at 1000 yrds, is delusional. benchrest shooters, competition shooters, military and LE snipers, all spend many hours shooting and have very specilized rifles and have access to the best equipment that money can buy. many manufactures make very accurate rifles off the shelf, and with some of the newer ammo available can be very capable and accurate hunting rifles. everything in life equates to money spent, if you want a car to go fast, then you spend lots of dollars for horsepower and handling. if you want to shoot very long ranges, you spend lots of dollars on rifles, scopes and reloading.
You sure got that right. Unfortunately certain kinds of fun cost $$$$.